D&D Movie/TV Here Come The D&D Movie Gaming Tie-Ins!

While there has been no mention of any official sourcebook or adve nture which ties in to Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Amongst Thieves, with less than two months to go some news of licensed products have started to emerge. Of course, there will always be Funkopops and dolls and other merchandise, but Ultra PRO has announced some gaming accessories based on the movie. From ICv2: Playmats...

While there has been no mention of any official sourcebook or adve nture which ties in to Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Amongst Thieves, with less than two months to go some news of licensed products have started to emerge. Of course, there will always be Funkopops and dolls and other merchandise, but Ultra PRO has announced some gaming accessories based on the movie.

From ICv2:

1500x1500_0695a7ea09f95c248a1fa33b298e4ceb41b6813439ee36f24bf86ddc.jpg

Dice Tower (MSRP: $49.49)
  • Dice rolling and storage
  • Holds 40+ standard RPG dice
  • Strong magnetic closure
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.11.37 AM.png

Foldable Dice Tray (MSRP: $24.99)
  • Magnetic corners that close in, out, and upside-down
  • Measures 8.5x11 when flat
  • High quality materials ensure your gaming table is protected
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.12.16 AM.png

Printed Leatherette Printed Book Folio (MSRP: $49.49)
  • Inside of book folio features spot UV detailing
  • Embroidered red ampersand logo and book name on binding
  • Back cover is secured in a pocket while the front cover is secured with an elastic strap
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.12.54 AM.png

Character Folio (MSRP: $10.49)
  • 10 single-pocket pages for character sheets & notes
  • Two 9-pocket pages for spell cards
  • Inner pockets in front and back
  • Sticker sheet for enhanced organization
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.14.02 AM.png

Playmats (MSRP: $21.99)
  • Soft fabric top helps protect cards during gameplay
  • Non-slip rubber backing keeps the playmats shifting during use
  • Approximately 12"x13.5" and lies flat
  • Makes an excellent oversize mousepad for your home or office

Reynard

Legend
I don't know if this means anything, but I looked up the budget for the original 2000 film ($36 million) and plugged it into the inflation calculator. The 2023 movie has a budget of $45 million, for reference.

Value of $36,000,000 from 2000 to 2023​

$36,000,000 in 2000 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $62,048,153.31 today, an increase of $26,048,153.31 over 23 years. The dollar had an average inflation rate of 2.40% per year between 2000 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 72.36%.
Wait -- the film's budget is $45M and Pine's salary alone is $11.5M? Lol. This is going to be bad.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Wait -- the film's budget is $45M and Pine's salary alone is $11.5M? Lol. This is going to be bad.

I think this is incorrect. BoxOfficeMojo lists the D&D movie from $2000 with a budget of $45 million.

I don't know where that $36 million number came from, or where they got that number for the Honor Among Thieves budget. The only site I found with that number... is sketchy.

Cites folks!

Reynard

Legend
I think this is incorrect. BoxOfficeMojo lists the D&D movie from $2000 with a budget of $45 million.

I don't know where that $36 million number came from, or where they got that number for the Honor Among Thieves budget. The only site I found with that number... is sketchy.

Cites folks!
Yeah, googling has that number come up but there is no actual reference to it's origin that I can see.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
The budget matters and I will get excoriated for saying this but really my enjoyment is more closely tied to a good script and the tone.

1000 CGI beholders floating around zapping…everything vs a shorter scene with one menacing the characters from the background are two different things.

I have no doubt I will see this with my kids at home anyway. I suspect just a hair under mediocrity but could be way way off. We shall see.

I just filled ina few holes in my mini collection…their product line is going to be so huge…it will be something for everyone.

I wonder what this means for D&D and gaming culture 10 years from now…

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I'm guessing someone took it off of the BOM listing for the 2000 movie, and didn't really care if they had the right film.
Yes. A whole lot of "we do no editing we just publish clickbait" websites have used the $45M figure in their articles and so it's spread through the internet as fact. But it's actually the figure from the 2000 movie, and articles of a less clickbaity nature attribute it correctly and say basically we don't know the budget of the D&D movie yet.

If you google "D&D movie budget 2023" you find a nice mix of clickbaity articles with no fact checking proclaiming it to be $45M and other articles comparing it to the 2000 movie and using the $45M figure to describe that movie.

jgsugden

Legend
Wow. That is ... err ... underwhelming? I'd expect more action figures, toys, miniatures, games, etc... to be coming out. Hasbro's MOvie should have more game support.

Remove ads

Remove ads