D&D Movie/TV Here Come The D&D Movie Gaming Tie-Ins!

While there has been no mention of any official sourcebook or adve nture which ties in to Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Amongst Thieves, with less than two months to go some news of licensed products have started to emerge. Of course, there will always be Funkopops and dolls and other merchandise, but Ultra PRO has announced some gaming accessories based on the movie.

From ICv2:

1500x1500_0695a7ea09f95c248a1fa33b298e4ceb41b6813439ee36f24bf86ddc.jpg

Dice Tower (MSRP: $49.49)
  • Dice rolling and storage
  • Holds 40+ standard RPG dice
  • Strong magnetic closure
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.11.37 AM.png

Foldable Dice Tray (MSRP: $24.99)
  • Magnetic corners that close in, out, and upside-down
  • Measures 8.5x11 when flat
  • High quality materials ensure your gaming table is protected
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.12.16 AM.png

Printed Leatherette Printed Book Folio (MSRP: $49.49)
  • Inside of book folio features spot UV detailing
  • Embroidered red ampersand logo and book name on binding
  • Back cover is secured in a pocket while the front cover is secured with an elastic strap
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.12.54 AM.png

Character Folio (MSRP: $10.49)
  • 10 single-pocket pages for character sheets & notes
  • Two 9-pocket pages for spell cards
  • Inner pockets in front and back
  • Sticker sheet for enhanced organization
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 11.14.02 AM.png

Playmats (MSRP: $21.99)
  • Soft fabric top helps protect cards during gameplay
  • Non-slip rubber backing keeps the playmats shifting during use
  • Approximately 12"x13.5" and lies flat
  • Makes an excellent oversize mousepad for your home or office

Dire Bare

Legend
My goodness, the kvetching going on here.

The movie tie-in products announced so far are fine. Not everything has to be your cuppa tea, but it's fine. There are toys including action figures, nerf guns, funko-pops, and more. There are novels, comics, and trade books. Now we have the Ultra Pro gaming accessories. It's all good.

We don't (yet) have any actual gaming products . . . . and I'm glad we don't. I don't need a new starter box with a new movie cover, I don't need a book with gaming stats for . . . what? The characters? I don't need a tie-in adventure. Do you really think the movie going public is going to see the movie, get excited for the game, and not be able to figure out that the "Starter Set" in Target is what they want? The entire D&D line is tied into the movie, by virtue of the logo and the setting of the film, the Forgotten Realms.

That $50 book cover should come with a PHB inside for that price.

Oh come on. If you've seen the existing Ultra Pro deluxe notebooks and book covers . . . they are of high quality and well made. This book cover is worth the $50 it costs, although not everyone is going to want one of course. Especially considering the book you put inside retails for $40-50.

They really do want to make that & branding happen, don't they? I noticed that with the 1.2 OGL stuff too - the new badges they were putting out there had the dragon & on them prominently, rather than saying D&D or Dungeons & Dragons.

The ampersand branding isn't exactly a new thing . . . .

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I know folks aint going to like it, but WotC is on the cusp of launching an anniversary edition in 2024. Its likely thats when the gaming tie ins will happen. Its also likely much of it will be digital to go with the new hotness VTT.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Oh come on. If you've seen the existing Ultra Pro deluxe notebooks and book covers . . . they are of high quality and well made. This book cover is worth the $50 it costs, although not everyone is going to want one of course. Especially considering the book you put inside retails for $40-50.
I mean, if you're making a book cover for more than the book it's supposed to cover is worth, it's kinda missing the point of the whole exercise, no?

What's the worst case scenario here, I destroy my uncovered book and save $10 over using their book protector? It's kinda wild, but also hilarious so I'm fine with this existing.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
The premise of the movie based on the trailer is that the party were hired to steal something only to find out that what they stole would lead to something terrible, so they are trying to undo it. The Golden Vault book is a bunch of short heist adventures. I could see the logic that they would want a heist focused adventure for existing and new fans inspired to play a heist-style adventure after seeing the movie. So, while not a movie tie-in (unless a golden vault features prominently in the film), it is at least synergistic with it.

Reynard

Legend
My goodness, the kvetching going on here.

The movie tie-in products announced so far are fine. Not everything has to be your cuppa tea, but it's fine.
We don't (yet) have any actual gaming products . . . . and I'm glad we don't. I don't need a new starter box with a new movie cover, I don't need a book with gaming stats for . . . what? The characters? I don't need a tie-in adventure. Do you really think the movie going public is going to see the movie, get excited for the game, and not be able to figure out that the "Starter Set" in Target is what they want? The entire D&D line is tied into the movie, by virtue of the logo and the setting of the film, the Forgotten Realms.
So, just to be clear, you don't think people should complain, but you're going to go on and on?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I have a strong suspicion that this is tied up in the licensing agreements between Paramount and Hasbro and how much of a cut Paramount gets on explicit movie tie-in products.

Having to share a percentage on Starter Sets branded with the actors' faces might be less attractive than just assuming that folks in Target's game aisle will see the name "Dungeons and Dragons" and associate it with the movie without needing the explicit movie branding on it.
Given that Hasbro's modern success includes a lot of tie-in products, I have a hard time picturing them not knowing how to draw up a contract that works for everyone.

More likely is just someone at Hasbro or WotC completely dropping the ball. This is undermonetization and I would bet money it's partly what that comment in December was referencing.

In any case, I have a lay-flat dice tray with magnetic clasps, and I love it. Highly recommended as a product category.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases