Here Come The PRESTIGE CLASSES! Plus Rune Magic!

Mike Mearls' latest Unearthed Arcana column presents the first ever 5E prestige class: the Rune Scribe! "Prestige classes build on the game’s broad range of basic options to represent specialized options and unique training. The first of those specialized options for fifth edition D&D is the rune scribe—a character who masters ancient sigils that embody the fundamental magic of creation."

Mike Mearls' latest Unearthed Arcana column presents the first ever 5E prestige class: the Rune Scribe! "Prestige classes build on the game’s broad range of basic options to represent specialized options and unique training. The first of those specialized options for fifth edition D&D is the rune scribe—a character who masters ancient sigils that embody the fundamental magic of creation."

It's a 5-level class, and also contains the basic information on how prestige classes work and how to join them - including ability, skill, level, and task-based prerequisites. Find it here.

Duganson

First Post
Would have liked more - or any really - 'how to' on creation of 5E Prestige classes... Getting one out of the blue makes me worry about bloat.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Cool concept withe rune magic, but I really dislike the concept of prestige classes, primarily because they were so abused in 3.5.

yes yes yes...

Now I am so happy I do the dance of joy... Da da da dum dum dum dee dea...

that is exactly what I needed for this edition... If anyone needs me I'll be working on thousands of PC conversions...

Zaran

Adventurer
Like the concept. Don't like that Rune magic chops off Higher Level spells in return for it's features. This was an issue in 3rd edition. Something that is supposed to enhance magic shouldn't reduce the ability to cast high level spells .

Li Shenron

Legend
that is exactly what I needed for this edition... If anyone needs me I'll be working on thousands of PC conversions...

I have gone through many 3e prestige classes (Rokugan mostly), and I suggest you consider at least 3 options for conversion:

- subclasses
- feats
- prestige classes

Each of these solution has pros and cons. Every 3e prestige class is different, many of them were practically empty shells with but a few abilities. IMHO it is necessary to get rid of those empty levels, and most of the times a feat is enough. For those times when it's not, either use a subclass (if you want it to be available to just one base class) or a prestige class (if you want it available to multiple base classes).

Galendril

Explorer
I like that the prestige class requires the PC find someone to teach them the new class. It's a great way for the DM to control the rarity of certain classes in the game.

Matau99

Explorer
This is awesome! I'm always eager for more character options!
To people worried about bloat: Just remember that you don't have to use them if you don't want to.

Remove ads

Remove ads