D&D General Here we are again

Yora

Legend
Publicly traded companies and art are not compatible. They are a vehicle for people to park their money and watch it multiply. If it would multiply more when parked in another company, they sell of their stocks and buy another company. The only job management has to do is to make sure is that profits are high in the next quarter. The owners don't care if short term profits cause long term damage to the company, because then they just take their money and go somewhere else.

If anything with quality comes out of this system, it's pure coincidence against all odds.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
If anything with quality comes out of this system, it's pure coincidence against all odds.
That's not entirely true. I want to be clear, though, that I share your skepticism on this matter overall. But it's not a total defiance of all possible odds that such a thing could occur. It is, effectively, a form of formally-organized patronage, which is something that produced a significant chunk of the world's great art, music, and literature. Further, the expectation of performance offers something that a lot of pure creator-controlled things lack: a deadline. We've seen that exact problem crop up frequently with Kickstarter. Again, I emphatically do not want to say that I consider the creator-controlled problems to be unavoidable, nor that any other part of your argument is wrong. Just saying that there are reasons why this (effectively) corporate patronage could push toward producing quality work, it's not a complete contravention of rationality and probability.

Based on what evidence?

He was the president and set WotC' overall long term strategy, which darned sure should be more than 12 months into the future.

If you don't believe me, here is the first listed responsibility of a corporate president from the first 3 Google hits

• creates, communicates and implements the organization’s vision, mission and overall direction. (Delaware, inc)
  • Developing the corporate vision (upcounsel)
  • Long-range, strategic planning (chron)

The president of WotC should have been making 3-5 year plans at a bare minimum. Good presidents think more at a decade scale. Vice presidents think a couple years a head, directors should be 1-2 years in the future, with managers at quarterly to annual time frame.

I was a manager for an auditor IT team and I had to develop annual plans to coordinate development needs across the various government audits on the books. The director I reported to had 2-3 year initiatives to manage the infrastructure. Their boss, a VP, spent time in Washington working with the govt agencies that had oversight of the programs in development that wouldn't go live for 18+ months and wouldn't be audited until 3-5 years after their go live which would then start the reconciliation processes that took another couple of quarters to resolve. The Sr. VP was involved in multi-year acquisitions with decade-ish integration timeliness.

This is pretty typical for companies in the $Billions/yr club.

So we don't need a smoking gun from Chris Cocks beyond his resume. He either wrote these plans up while WotC president in 2021 or earlier (which correspond to the early leaks) or he was a crap president who had no plans and abdicated responsibility to his VPs.

Given that he was vetted by the Hasbro board and an interim Hasbro CEO, either they are TOTALLY incompetent or he had a multi-year game plan for WotC that the board & interim CEO considered sufficiently good work to justify extending that kind of vision across all Hasbro properties.

Last edited:

LJR69

Villager
I'll first say that I don't condone in anyway the attitude that WotC have displayed over the past week, and the leaked memos and comments made about the community. There's no excuse for that at all.

I do however want to play a little bit of devil's advocate. In a world that's largely moved to a consumption based model (streaming services, software licenses, even the ink I get for my HP printer) it's shouldn't be a surprise that Hasbro and WotC are looking for ways to have a stream of revenue that continues helps fund the continued development of DnD. I'm not saying what they proposed in the replacement OGL was the right approach - that was a sledgehammer to crack a nut and was designed to pretty much make DnD a closed system, but companies that are paying their workforce need to be bringing in repeatable revenue. The rumoured $30 per month subscription is clearly ridiculous, but I do understand the need to think about how they can generate some form of revenue.

I'll just stick my head in the stocks here. Help yourself to the rotten fruit..

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 14.15.00.png

Stormonu

Legend
Anyone who was around during 4E I don’t think should be too surprised by recent actions. WotC/Hasbro has been trying to kill open access back then with the GSL. This time around, they simply thought they could get to the root of the problem.

One of their biggest issues is that they have a completely blind eye to anyone who is using the OGL to create non-5E content. They can’t conceive that allowing people to create non-5E content would be of any benefit to them, despite the fact that several companies will produce things in multiple rule sets (Pathfinder, S&W, OSE, C&C, etc.) that will appeal to 5E buyers and keep them in WotC’s orbit, even if indirectly. Nor the fact not everyone wants to play 5E or OneD&D, and they could still make money from their old scanned rulesets (the PDFs on DriveThru) and such - not a lot, but more than nothing.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I'll first say that I don't condone in anyway the attitude that WotC have displayed over the past week, and the leaked memos and comments made about the community. There's no excuse for that at all.

I do however want to play a little bit of devil's advocate. In a world that's largely moved to a consumption based model (streaming services, software licenses, even the ink I get for my HP printer) it's shouldn't be a surprise that Hasbro and WotC are looking for ways to have a stream of revenue that continues helps fund the continued development of DnD. I'm not saying what they proposed in the replacement OGL was the right approach - that was a sledgehammer to crack a nut and was designed to pretty much make DnD a closed system, but companies that are paying their workforce need to be bringing in repeatable revenue. The rumoured $30 per month subscription is clearly ridiculous, but I do understand the need to think about how they can generate some form of revenue.

I'll just stick my head in the stocks here. Help yourself to the rotten fruit..

View attachment 272962
the problem with the consumption based model is it depends on people having plenty of money to burn and budgets are tightening worldwide forecasted for the foreseeable decades meaning it is likely to eat itself.

you can't build raising profit of whales alone.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
you can't build raising profit of whales alone.
Exactly.

@LJR69 There's a really good analogy to be made here to the creation of video game content, and specifically MMOs. See, as I was writing my post above, I was very specifically thinking about the contrast between World of Warcraft (and thus Blizzard) and Final Fantasy XIV (and thus Square Enix's oh-so-evocatively-named Creative Business Unit 3.) I don't know if you've played either game, so I'm going to assume you haven't; if you have, a lot of these details are going to be unnecessary, but other readers may not have, so it still serves some purpose.

WoW, when it got started, had an enormous base of customer goodwill and enthusiasm, which Blizzard leveraged brilliantly to become THE hegemonic ruler of the MMO space. They were making money hand over fist, and for the base game and first two expansions, life was good. The game grew to even further heights, and fans were eating up the story. But the second expac, Wrath of the Lich King, brought pretty much all of the story from the Warcraft strategy games to a close (there was still the threat of the Burning Legion, but it had at least partially been dealt with in the first expansion.) The writers were in uncharted territory and had to come up with new content to keep people interested.

This....did not end up going well. Cataclysm, the third expansion, started the "bad expansion, good expansion" pattern--not that it was actually bad in and of itself, but it was something of a disappointment compared to WotLK, and for the first time the game contracted rather than expanding as an expansion wore on. This caused the developers to prioritize the most heavily-invested players--and methods that could be used to objectively increase player investment. They tried to make WoW not just an MMO, but something you had to be engaged with all the time in order to get anywhere, a "Red Queen's race" where you have to run as fast as you can just to keep up. I could go into specifics but they aren't really necessary for the analogy here. Point being: they tried to, as Mind of Tempest said, build profit off whales alone--and tried to make a game that encouraged everyone to become a whale to one degree or another. Now you have a game that is roundly disliked and scrambling to fix its issues with its newest expansion after the disaster that was Shadowlands. This is, as I said above, an example of the "had the impetus before, but lost it due to people retiring/departing/etc." (Ignoring the other disgusting things that occurred at Blizzard, of course...topic for another thread.)

By comparison, FFXIV represents my second example above: failure teaching a lesson. The people who designed FFXIV genuinely saw themselves as incapable of doing wrong; whatever game they made, the Final Fantasy playerbase would lap up because of course they would, it's a Final Fantasy game. They failed to engage with one another inside the company, leading to disastrously bad choices like making flowerpots that had the same polygon count as actual player characters and putting them EVERYWHERE inside major player hubs, making it almost impossible to play. They failed to include really basic, standard features like auto-attack and jumping; they failed to include series staples despite clear references to them, such as not being able to ride the ostrich-like chocobos that are one of the series' mascots; they spent so much time and money making really excellent cutscenes that they failed to actually make a world worth adventuring through and, more importantly, failed to consider whether the hardware could support those cutscenes. The introductory cutscene for the pirate-themed town Limsa Lominsa was so graphically intense, most PCs would crash to desktop before completing it, locking some players out of playing the game entirely for a time.

The situation was incredibly, unbelievably bad. We're talking the President of Square Enix literally having to discuss the possibility that the company would go under. The game had performed so badly and angered so many of the fans that it literally could have killed the company. But they took a gamble--in the sense of not doing the get-rich-quick thing, but rather trying to re-build player trust and respect and all those other intangibles--and had Naoki Yoshida helm the reconstruction efforts. Not only did it pay off, but it paid off in a big way. Accounting for FFXIV's intentional "play when you want, take breaks, it's okay, the game is still here when you want to come back" policy, FFXIV has experienced continuous growth since the A Realm Reborn relaunch, at a time when most MMOs are treading water at best. And it's very specifically because they've been beaten over the head with the importance of all those intangibles.

WotC is getting that beating now, and there's a good chance that they'll screw up the reconstruction. Because that reconstruction is hard! Because earnestly apologizing, truly getting why what they've done was wrong and actually learning how to build future profits through investment into the intangibles and infrastructure, is all difficult. It requires accepting perhaps lesser profits today, requires building structures and communication channels and support that eat into profits without having a direct, provable link to future benefits. That's a tall order for any corporate type to grasp, much less successfully implement.

I really, truly hope that D&D is able to follow the example of FFXIV and genuinely learn the lessons that this debacle can teach. Unfortunately, I also know that that hope, as of this moment right now, is a thin and wavering one. WotC's moves over the next few weeks to months will tell us whether they can fix the HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE mess they've made, or whether (to steal from a rather melodramatic Kipling poem) "the Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return."

Remove ads