• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Here's a list of published settings. Which are good for the PoL style?

Wraith101

First Post
I have run several Kingdoms of Kalamar games with a very POL feel. The Wildlands, Reanaaria Bay and Brandobia all lead themselves to this approach.

catsclaw227

First Post
Jack99 said:
Will check Ebay. But for some reasons, none of the stores in my country have the Scarred Lands Campaign Books, at least not as far as I can see.

Either way, just to make sure. Is it Scarred Lands Campaign Setting: Termana or Scarred Lands Gazetteer: Termana or both? Or something entirely different? There is also something called Ghelspad ?
Ghelspad is the main continent where most of the other setting books take place. There's a main campaign setting book and a gazetteer, and you can get the PDFs for cheap if you are willing to read them online or print what you need. There were some old freebie online enhancements that they had that described the Titan War and the history, so you can dig around for them.

Termana is good, but I would stick with Ghelspad. Also look into Hollowfaust, Mithril or Burok Torn for a good starting location.

catsclaw227

First Post
I'd also like to toss in a vote for Aereth (Goodman Games), but add another not so obvious one:

Oathbound.

Yes, it's high magic, but I think the setting is very PoL. If I had the books in front of me I could back this up with something of substance other than "just because", but alas....

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Khuxan said:
People that think Eberron isn't POI often forget about the map scale. If you compare the Faerun scale to the Khorvaire scale you realise Khorvaire is about the size of Faerun. When I realised that, Eberron's points of light suddenly looked much farther apart.
[

That was a mistake (editing etc), Keith said Khorvaire is 10 times as big as he intended (it should be roughly the size of Western Europe)

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Klaus said:
I just wish Dragonlance remained in the War of the Lance and its aftermath. The later upheavals (not to mention making "Cataclysm" a plural) cheapened the setting, IMHO.

The War of the Lance is certainly the most popular period to game in or write for. My new novel The Sellsword is set right after it, after the Queen of Darkness was defeated but with the world still messed up from the war and conquered nations still under threat. But I do have to say that it's easy to see why people get tired of that, too—they're sick of the Heroes of the Lance, they constantly tell us (that's us designer folks) how Dragonlance is just one story that has to be played out with the pregens or it's no good, and that the world should keep moving forward. It's no surprise that it did, in the end, and that in order to keep fans happy they eventually killed all the original characters off, brought in their kids, had a couple of other Ansalon-spanning wars, and so forth.

I happen to think the current era, post-War of Souls, the era we cover with most of our products, is the most interesting and fun to play in. But I don't think many people with only a passing familiarity with Dragonlance bother to look that far.

Cheers,
Cam

Dr. Confoundo

First Post
If you want a POL setting that can be used whole cloth for D&D, all you need to do is look at Earthdawn.

In Earthdawn, civilization was forced to come to a screeching halt a few hundred years ago when armies of demonic Horrors from another dimension started breaking through into the world. Not able to fight the invaders, and knowing that the cyclical nature of magic would eventually force the Horrors to go back to where they came from, the humanoid races decided that the best course of action would be to seal themselves away in underground cities and towns and wait out the worst of the Scourge. Now hundreds of years later, their descendants break the seals and magical wards keeping them safe, and venture out to discover what has become of the outside world.

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
Awesome ideas, fellas, thank you.

Anyone have any experience with Valus or The Black Company? Both may help me with my "feel" of the gaming world, though I'm looking toward SL or DS for the geography/peoples.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Dr. Confoundo said:
If you want a POL setting that can be used whole cloth for D&D, all you need to do is look at Earthdawn.

Yup. Earthdawn has 4e all over it. Of course, you'd need to either make or replace the orks, obsidimen, ts'krang, trolls, and windlings, but otherwise the background is perfect for PoL gaming.

Another one is the Record of the Lodoss War (anime and manga). It's clearly based on D&D in the first place, and you'd have almost no problem whatsoever in using it as written for 4e.

Cheers,
Cam

DamnedChoir

First Post
I hate to sound old, but Ravenloft isn't Whitewolf's setting, it was originally TSR's...WOTC sold it, but the rights reverted in time for them to do Heroes Of Horror and Expedition to Castle Ravenloft for 3.5

Me, personally...if Ravenloft or Planescape are offical 4E settings, I might have to buy 4E

crazy_cat

Adventurer
Mouseferatu said:
If I could only choose one classic (and official) campaign setting to make a return in 4E... ....I'd have to pick Dark Sun for its sheer combination of major cool, high quality, and perfect fit.
Agreed. If ever there was a classic PoL setting then Athas was it.

I'd buy a 4e DS Campaign Setting immediately, and I'm not even planning to convert to 4e :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads