Pathfinder 2E Here's A Pathfinder 2E Goblin

Paizo has shared part of its upcoming Bestiary for Pathfinder 2nd Edition with a quick look at the goblin entry.

Paizo has shared part of its upcoming Bestiary for Pathfinder 2nd Edition with a quick look at the goblin entry.

EALsI6GW4AAIRNM.jpg

How does this differ from the playtest version? Let's take a look! Generally the layout is much the same with some minor tweaks; the differences appear to be under the hood as various numbers change.

• It's gone from CREATURE 0 to CREATURE -1.
  • Perception has increased from +1 to +2.
  • Skills no longer have an initial 'blanket' entry; in the playtest goblin skills were "–2; Acrobatics +3, Athletics +3, Stealth +5"; now they're "Acrobaitcs +5, Athletics +2, Nature +1, Stealth +5".
  • Con has increased to +1
  • AC has gone from 14 to 16, TAC is gone, Fort, Ref, and Will have all increased significantly
  • Dogslicer attack has gone from +6 to +8 and now has finesse added
  • Shortbow attack has gone from +6 to +8, and various additional info added in parenthesis

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
A +5 skill bonus on a -1 Creature? Well, Pathfinder is still Pathfinder. Didn't expect to see Stepping as a special ability, though.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
The scuttle ability does remind me of 4e in a way. The wording is kind of weird too. Why wouldn't it just say "when a goblin ends its action adjacent to a player character" (or enemy for that matter) instead of "a warrior"? Just reads strange to me.

Warrior refers to the goblin warrior, not a player character.

So, it's basically saying "if any [allied] goblin [presumably could be a goblin commando, goblin shaman, etc.] ends a move action adjacent to the goblin warrior, the goblin warrior steps."

Warrior refers to the goblin warrior, not a player character.

So, it's basically saying "if any [allied] goblin [presumably could be a goblin commando, goblin shaman, etc.] ends a move action adjacent to the goblin warrior, the goblin warrior steps."

Maybe I'm dumb but that's what I was talking about. Just a weird way to word it but I'm aware it may make more sense to others.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Way too much lingo. Very 4E-ish (especially with the symbols, descriptors, and annoying movement crap such as "steps").

No, thank you.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Horsechopper always seemed like a goblin halberd, so not surprised it gives reach.

Some people are working real hard to get people to see PF2 as 4E when it's pretty obvious it's far more like 5E. That goblin ability looks more like the goblin ability from 5E where they escape attack than a 4E goblin ability.

Koloth

First Post
Oof. That "As goblin warrior" reference is a little painful.

It works in the context of the book: both stat blocks show up on the same page, referencing the thing nearby is easy. Okay. But in an adventure where you might not have an encounter that features both creatures, you suddenly have to change the Commando's stat block, or else you are page-flipping to find the reference. Even worse in an online SRD, without a lot of back-links.

May not seem like a big deal for one ability in one stat block here, but imagine dragons of different ages all referring back to each other. Or any number of other instances where there are several variations of a monster with several similar abilities that may require references like this.

IMO - a stat block should never reference a different stat block. The point of a stat block is to have everything needed for a basic encounter in one place. If I have to go perusing a book for all of the out of block references in a stat block, then it isn't a stat block.

I can imagine someone printing off a Goblin Commando stat block for an encounter then being mystified at what a Goblin Scuttle is because they didn't print the basic Goblin stat block because no standard goblins were planned for the encounter.

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Horsechopper always seemed like a goblin halberd, so not surprised it gives reach.

Some people are working real hard to get people to see PF2 as 4E when it's pretty obvious it's far more like 5E. That goblin ability looks more like the goblin ability from 5E where they escape attack than a 4E goblin ability.

Well, 5e takes a lot of the best parts of 4e as well.

I don't think anyone is trying to see PF2 as 4e, just some similarities jump out at first glance.

pogre

Legend
I love the look of the Paizo goblin illustrations. Game mechanics aside, I love the whole goblin vibe in Pathfinder. I have painted a ton of the Reaper Pathfinder goblins - they're some of my favorites!

Remove ads

Remove ads