• Resources are back! Use the menu in the main navbar. If you own a resource, please check it for formatting, icons, etc.

Here's the Cover Art for Pathfinder 2E's April Bestiary 2

Eight months after the launch of Pathfinder 2E, Bestiary 2 will hit store shelves - 320 pages, to add to the 400+ in Bestiary 1. Here's a look at Wayne Reynolds' cover art for the book.

082719_Bestiary2.jpg

"This 320-page hardcover rulebook greatly expands on the foes found in the Pathfinder Bestiary. From classic creatures like serpentfolk and jabberwock, returning favorites like the primal dragons or the Sandpoint devil, to brand new menaces sure to test even the bravest of heroes, this must-have tome of monsters designed to challenge characters of any level is an essential companion to your Pathfinder game!

It’s never too early to invite these monsters to your table, so preorder your regular or deluxe edition today!"

Here's a look at that Deluxe Edition.

PZO2104-SE.jpg

Russ Morrissey

Comments

DWChancellor

Kobold Enthusiast
A very curious piece. So much detail and interesting ideas, but... its missing something.

There's no story here. Nothing that makes me feel a need to crack open the book. Maybe I've just seen one too many covers like this.

Parmandur

Legend
Maybe it felts less weird when there was plenty of products already. Now, it feels desperate.
Wayne’s covers aren’t striking a cord like the first edition.
8 months in and we get a second bestiary...5e was 2 years before Volos.

Also talk about lead time for the next book...with people complaining about D&Ds 4 month hints and that apparently annoying people...so does 8 months out bother them as well?
I think that the pace feels weird in relation to what others are doing in the market now: 3 months in advance is a more sustainable marketing model, announcing a billion products so far in advance is exhausting.

Emirikol Prime

Explorer
I think that the pace feels weird in relation to what others are doing in the market now: 3 months in advance is a more sustainable marketing model, announcing a billion products so far in advance is exhausting.
I love this place. I still wish end would up thiergame a bit when it comes to releases. I'm still starved for setting books.

DWChancellor

Kobold Enthusiast
Ahhh! Thank you! You pinpoint it perfectly, for me at least. When I look at this upcoming book, this will probably the first 2E that I might buy. Don't judge a book by its cover but that's exactly what I do... :|
I need to know what is happening here! Despite being totally generic (dragon, pretty lady, fanciness) that posing and her facial expression DEMANDS attention. What is going on? Who are these guys??? Hand moving towards pre-order... must resist...

Mercador

Explorer
I need to know what is happening here! Despite being totally generic (dragon, pretty lady, fanciness) that posing and her facial expression DEMANDS attention. What is going on? Who are these guys??? Hand moving towards pre-order... must resist...
Yeah, exactly, you want to read what's going on. It reminds me Curse of the Crimon Throne a bit.

DragonBelow

Explorer
What's funny is, this cover is in line with all previous bestiaries by Paizo. Maybe they have not changed their style enough? I think that is a plus, I like the Pathfinder flavor, so I'm glad they are not changing the recipe. I do wish they slowed a bit the crunch dept.

dave2008

Adventurer
I love this place. I still wish end would up thiergame a bit when it comes to releases. I'm still starved for setting books.
Well you won’t get that from PAizo, I believe everything is set on Glorian (Lost Omens). I wonder if 3PP will (or are) releasing their settings for PF2E? There have been so many released for 5e now I can’t keep track. I know a few planned PF1E versions, but wonder if those where killed with the switch to PF2E.

Parmandur

Legend
Well you won’t get that from PAizo, I believe everything is set on Glorian (Lost Omens). I wonder if 3PP will (or are) releasing their settings for PF2E? There have been so many released for 5e now I can’t keep track. I know a few planned PF1E versions, but wonder if those where killed with the switch to PF2E.
I know there is a PF2 license in place, but haven't heard if 3PP are embracing it yet. It might not get to PF1 levels, depending on the market.

Imaculata

Explorer
There's something off about the poses of the monsters on that cover. Specifically the dragon and the serpentmage have a strange pose.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I have to say that I quite like the art. I can't wait to have this in my collection.

Interesting that his is getting a special edition release. I am more than willing to bet that the Advanced Player's Guide will be getting one as well.

dave2008

Adventurer
I have to say that I quite like the art. I can't wait to have this in my collection.

Interesting that his is getting a special edition release. I am more than willing to bet that the Advanced Player's Guide will be getting one as well.
Oddly, the most disappointing thing to me is the dragon! I like the yuan-ti and morlocks, but that dragon just isn't doing for me. I also find it odd that no one is paying attention to the dragon!

Arilyn

Explorer
Oddly, the most disappointing thing to me is the dragon! I like the yuan-ti and morlocks, but that dragon just isn't doing for me. I also find it odd that no one is paying attention to the dragon!
I love that dragon. I think the morlocks and yuan-ti are working with the dragon.

dave2008

Adventurer
I love that dragon. I think the morlocks and yuan-ti are working with the dragon.
To each their own. Personally I can't stand its teeth.

I also don't feel like this is supposed to be a actual "scene," nor do I think the first bestiary cover was either. It is just some monsters thrown together in a pretty picture to me. I don't see a story there personally.

PS. that doesn't bother me at all.

Imaculata

Explorer
All that bothers me is that the dragon's front right leg (the one leaning on the rock) has a very awkward pose. It doesn't look anatomically correct, which I realize is a bit strange to say for a fantasy creature. Simularly, the Yuan-ti's right arm has a strange pose as well. This is the sort of stuff that used to bother me with D&D 3rd edition art work all the time.

dave2008

Adventurer
That said, why are there only upper-torso snake people and not lower torso ones in D&D-esque works? (And no, neither the Marilith nor the Lamia Matriarch does not count, since their body types are mutable in a whole-species scale)
You didn't reply to my previous post, so I thought I should clarify. Here are images of Yuan-ti with serpent lower bodies (since at least 1e). So is this what you were talking thoguht D&D didn't have, or did I misunderstand your comment?

3e Yuan-ti Abomination
Yuan-TiCultist.png

Ras Nsi from ToA (5e)
Ras_Nsi_-_Tomb_of_Annihilation.png

Yuan-ti Soulspeaker (5e)
Yuan-ti.jpeg

Yuan-ti (1e)
200px-Yuan-ti.jpg

Yuan-ti Abomination (4e & 5e)
yuan-ti-abomination.jpg

zztong

Explorer
I think the Dragon looks more like an illusion. The coloring, body shape, and angled features don't look real.

The lizard thing with the daggers doesn't look like a Yuan-Ti to me. It looks like there's a leg with an obvious knee-cap protruding through the cloak in the front. The angle of the tail and the trail of the cloak suggest to me the tail attaches under the empty sheath, not near the front of the cloak.

dave2008

Adventurer
I think the Dragon looks more like an illusion. The coloring, body shape, and angled features don't look real.

The lizard thing with the daggers doesn't look like a Yuan-Ti to me. It looks like there's a leg with an obvious knee-cap protruding through the cloak in the front. The angle of the tail and the trail of the cloak suggest to me the tail attaches under the empty sheath, not near the front of the cloak.
Yuan-ti can have legs, in fact almost all of the ones that interact with the outside world have legs.

dave2008

Adventurer

Here are some images for you
80034079-3407-4B0F-8867-C0791A72D997.jpeg

7457C3D5-474C-4F1E-8DF9-B059A66E8066.jpeg

CA3C9CA3-A822-4A21-8E7E-DC6AD50D9BAE.jpeg

Advertisement

Advertisement