D&D Movie/TV Here's The D&D Movie Trailer!

"Who needs heroes when you have thieves?" The movie arrives March 3rd, 2023. Here's the trailer! When they said it was inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy, they weren't kidding! We have dragons, owlbears, mimics, gelatinous cubes, quips, and more! There was also a clip shown at San Diego Comic Con where the party cast speak with dead, and got to ask five questions. Also, apparently, the...

"Who needs heroes when you have thieves?" The movie arrives March 3rd, 2023. Here's the trailer! When they said it was inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy, they weren't kidding! We have dragons, owlbears, mimics, gelatinous cubes, quips, and more!

There was also a clip shown at San Diego Comic Con where the party cast speak with dead, and got to ask five questions. Also, apparently, the D&D cartoon characters from the 80s have a cameo!

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'd say that is definitely YMMV. Class certainly means something in-universe in my games.
Of course. It's just one of those concepts that players often have implicit assumptions about and might not realize there's other perspectives that exist, so I find it useful to call out so people are aware.

In my own games, I just like to make it clear that a NPC labeled as a "druid" or a "wizard" can easily have abilities that the PCs aren't familiar with; likewise, a PC of a certain class is often the only person in the setting to have access to certain abilities.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Of course. It's just one of those concepts that players often have implicit assumptions about and might not realize there's other perspectives that exist, so I find it useful to call out so people are aware.

In my own games, I just like to make it clear that a NPC labeled as a "druid" or a "wizard" can easily have abilities that the PCs aren't familiar with; likewise, a PC of a certain class is often the only person in the setting to have access to certain abilities.
I prefer not to have PCs be that unique mechanically. No reason two druids have to have exclusionary powers from each other, especially if in-universe they received similar training.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Huh. I've always found that class is too artificial a construct to be an in-universe concept for me.
The 3E DMG assumed not only that Class was very concrete in the world, but provided detailed population demographic algorithms to dwteine how.many Fighters or Druids would be in a city or kingdom, and their Level.

I think D&D has been wise to move away from that approach.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The 3E DMG assumed not only that Class was very concrete in the world, but provided detailed population demographic algorithms to dwteine how.many Fighters or Druids would be in a city or kingdom, and their Level.

I think D&D has been wise to move away from that approach.
I dont mind this as GM prep for running adventures, but yeah its not something I'm going to call out and role play at the table.

Remove ads

Remove ads