• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

What's obstructive about it?
The resolute refusal to admit an obviously funny thing is funny (to the point of it having been used extensively as a joke in sketches about Star Trek), because technically it is not unrealistic (which I full agree with no - it's perfectly realistic and fits the setting - it is still funny because we made this, it's art, it's not a documentary).

Technically correct remains the best kind of correct.

The resolute refusal to admit an obviously funny thing is funny (to the point of it having been used extensively as a joke in sketches about Star Trek), because technically it is not unrealistic (which I full agree with no - it's perfectly realistic and fits the setting - it is still funny because we made this, it's art, it's not a documentary).

Technically correct remains the best kind of correct.

It's not funny, as it relies on weird ethnocentrism where American accent is seen as a neutral default of spoken English and every other accent requires some explanation. Same thing happened when Laris, a Romulan, spoke with Irish accent. People were bewildered and needed an explanation. Yet we have had countless aliens with perfect native American accents and no one ever demanded an explanation for that. It's not funny, it is offensive.

Our classes are very discussion-based, so I share this video with my students at the start of the year (I hope it is forum-appropriate):

Nice video. ;)

When teaching I always tell studends who say they don't like math (or other subjects) , that it would be a very boring world if everyone liked the same subjects. And that I don't think less of them as a person. It is just my job to make sure they learn the most important things. And then I tell them, even with an D grade they are more competent than most adult people and need not worry (too much), if they have other subjects where they are good at and have more fun.

Scribe

Legend
It's not funny, as it relies on weird ethnocentrism where American accent is seen as a neutral default of spoken English and every other accent requires some explanation. Same thing happened when Laris, a Romulan, spoke with Irish accent. People were bewildered and needed an explanation. Yet we have had countless aliens with perfect native American accents and no one ever demanded an explanation for that. It's not funny, it is offensive.

Considering the 'centering' of American views (not North American, not White, but US American) on pretty much everything modern D&D...does this surprise you?

It's not funny, as it relies on weird ethnocentrism where American accent is seen as a neutral default of spoken English and every other accent requires some explanation.
My brother in Christ, I'm British. The idea that I see American accents as a "neutral default" is, to put it crudely - absolutely and completely insane.

Comparing being mildly amused that Jean-Luc Picard is basically a perfect Englishman to idiots demanding an explanation for Laris' accent strikes me as a stunningly poor comparison. And that's taking it in the best possible faith. Any less faith and it looks even worse.

mamba

Legend
And if you want to take that stance, then all of mythology is superheroes, and by default then all of fantasy is superheroes.
I don’t see the latter following from the former. First of all not all mythology has to be superheroes just because some is, and second of all that does not mean all fantasy has to be either. Game of Thrones is fantasy, I doubt anyone would consider it superheroic.

Even if you leave all that aside, the Wizard pose, just like the Jesus pose is a power pose, it is meant to impress / awe, it has no further purpose. It is not meant to be an accurate depiction of the living person.

My brother in Christ, I'm British. The idea that I see American accents as a "neutral default" is, to put it crudely - absolutely and completely insane.
Obviously. Yet a lot of people instinctively think that way.

Comparing being mildly amused that Jean-Luc Picard is basically a perfect Englishman to idiots demanding an explanation for Laris' accent strikes me as a stunningly poor comparison. And that's taking it in the best possible faith. Any less faith and it looks even worse.
I do not know about your personal amusement, it was not about you. But questions about Picard's and Laris' accent generally and overwhelmingly come from the same place, and that is the notion which you accurately deemed completely insane.

Obviously. Yet a lot of people instinctively think that way.
If it's obvious, why did you make a statement that made no sense unless I was American? I'm obviously too confused and dimwitted for this discussion! I feel like you're absolutely proving my point re: beautiful nerd obstructivism and technically correct, though! I respect it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads