D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

Most people don't carry spare glasses on them IRL. They might be nearby, like in the house or car, but unless you have a pack, purse, etc. it's not likely. I'm not saying you don't, just IME it isn't the norm. Even then, accessing them during an adventure could have drastic consequences depending on where you keep them!

LOL don't I know it! Rust monsters, shiver.... :eek:

Armor being the least likely "back up", fighters usually have 2-3 additional weapons IME.

Anyway, I hope I've been clear in saying wearing glasses while adventuring IS possible, I understand that. I just think life would be easier (and safer as an adventurer!) without them. 🤷‍♂️
Life for an adventurer would be much easier if they wore full face helmets too, but they rarely do when they have their portrait painted.

Meanwhile, wizards have mending (and prestidigitation to keep fancy white dresses clean and neat).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And if I actually assumed that I would completely agree with you. I can't recall anyone else doing that, either, which is probably why I've never understood why people find it difficult to accept that my viewpoint, is just that---mine.

So, the question each should to ask themselves is - did I explicitly phrase it as my own feeling (or how I would run it, etc) when I said it? Or, did I leave that assumed/implicit/unsaid?

I'm not going to trace up through the thread to see if you did this, in particular. But we see this time and again - folks will state their personal opinion without any such qualifiers clearly stated, and then getting all surprised when folks read the text as written.

megrim

Explorer
Beatas me why people claim its not D&D. Not my preferred style but it looks decent. Far from awful.
The issue, to me, is the art style. Back in 3e, the art was all over the place, but then in 4e we started to see a more cohesive art style to represent the game. This was solidified with the tolkienesque art direction we have seen in 5e. This particular art and the dwarf look amazing, but it is not art I would associate with D&D, perhaps MTG as I stated in a previous comment. This is not a dealbreaker, but I guess it just feels odd. Out of place.

Regarding gold and white colours being worn by Catholic priests, it isn't as simple as that. The colours of the vestments worn often depend on the current place in the liturgical calendar. The same holds true for hangings in the church. Here is a wikipedia link for seasonal liturgical colours. Tying white and gold to purity and cleanliness is definitely apt and it does tie back to the early Christian Church and its vestments. Liturgical vestments originated from a secular source in the very early years when people wore their cleanest Roman style dress to worship. This eventually evolved into what we see today.
I assume that a lot of people associate white and gold with Catholic priestly vestments since white is the color worn on Christmas and Easter, which would be times when more attention is given to Masses than other times of year. In reality, speaking as an altar boy from some time ago (and, as the article you linked shows, nothing has changed in the meantime), green is actually the most common color worn by Catholic priests simply because most of the year is in Ordinary Time which is when that color is worn. White and violet would vie for second place, with red bring behind those, and with rose bring worn only on two days.

Scribe

Legend
The issue, to me, is the art style. Back in 3e, the art was all over the place, but then in 4e we started to see a more cohesive art style to represent the game. This was solidified with the tolkienesque art direction we have seen in 5e. This particular art and the dwarf look amazing, but it is not art I would associate with D&D, perhaps MTG as I stated in a previous comment. This is not a dealbreaker, but I guess it just feels odd. Out of place.

We are going to see a lot more art like this, than anything from prior era's. Its been a decade since 5e, the art of 'MTG Style' is likely the go forward.

Meanwhile I'm waiting for my Frank Frazetta style preference to rise once again...

Reef

Hero
Regarding eyesight and healing magic, I’d definitely say that’s a DM call, and not one explicitly supported by the text. Yes, those spells do cure Blindness. But I’d argue the intent was to cure Blindness that had been inflicted on the subject.

What I mean, is that I am nearsighted. Not due to trauma, but genetics. If someone ripped out my eyes, and then cast Heal, or Regeneration, I’d get my eyes back. But they would still be my eyes. The spell would restore my (nearsighted) eyes.

What about failing sight due to old age? Does Heal or Restoration work on that? Will it regrow my hair? Restore its colour? Fix arthritis or worn joints? If so, do adventurers who are routinely subjected to healing magic never age? If that’s the case, then the image of an old Gandalf-style wizard would be just as out of place as a simple pair of glasses.

Scribe

Legend
Regarding eyesight and healing magic, I’d definitely say that’s a DM call, and not one explicitly supported by the text. Yes, those spells do cure Blindness. But I’d argue the intent was to cure Blindness that had been inflicted on the subject.

What I mean, is that I am nearsighted. Not due to trauma, but genetics. If someone ripped out my eyes, and then cast Heal, or Regeneration, I’d get my eyes back. But they would still be my eyes. The spell would restore my (nearsighted) eyes.

What about failing sight due to old age? Does Heal or Restoration work on that? Will it regrow my hair? Restore its colour? Fix arthritis or worn joints? If so, do adventurers who are routinely subjected to healing magic never age? If that’s the case, then the image of an old Gandalf-style wizard would be just as out of place as a simple pair of glasses.

Gaze too long at the logic of our Elf Game, and it all very quickly falls apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads