D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

Jaeger

That someone better
Why is that pushback inevitable? You have the books with the art that you like? What's it to you that some new books get published with different art?

I could care less.

But the reality is; Lots of people like to play with the current edition.

And people want the current edition to reflect their needs and wants.

If it doesn't, they tend to complain.

Entire edition wars have been waged for that very reason.

Yaarel

He Mage
What about failing sight due to old age? Does Heal or Restoration work on that? Will it regrow my hair? Restore its colour? Fix arthritis or worn joints? If so, do adventurers who are routinely subjected to healing magic never age? If that’s the case, then the image of an old Gandalf-style wizard would be just as out of place as a simple pair of glasses.
In my view, any healing spell of slot 6 or higher can reverse aging and remedy inherited dangers. The Heal spell literally "ends blindness" and "any diseases" − including age related illnesses.

Likewise higher slot spells like Regenerate and Wish and so on can refresh youthfulness or grant eternal youth.

Gandalf specifically chooses to appear as he does. He is physically fit and combat able.

I could care less.
How much less?

But the reality is; Lots of people like to play with the current edition.

And people want the current edition to reflect their needs and wants.

If it doesn't, they tend to complain.

Entire edition wars have been waged for that very reason.
True, it is a common phenomenon. I find it particularly perplexing when people have an obvious favourite past edition and their main gripe about the current/new edition is that it is not like that past edition. WotC will not confiscate your old books! If you like them better, just keep using them instead!

Epic Meepo

Adventurer
Several posters have said this wizard gives MTG vibes. Several other posters have pointed out that that Strixhaven is a D&D setting. Which got me thinking:

How fast would the D&D corner of the internet explode if the sample setting in the DMG was Dominaria?

In my view, any healing spell of slot 6 or higher can reverse aging and remedy inherited dangers. The Heal spell literally "ends blindness" and "any diseases" − including age related illnesses.

Likewise higher slot spells like Regenerate and Wish and so on can refresh youthfulness or grant eternal youth.

Gandalf specifically chooses to appear as he does. He is physically fit and combat able.
Not only is that interpretation completely unsupported by the rules (short-sidedness is NOT a disease) it is also anti-inclusive. People who wear glasses, or use a wheelchair or whatever, want to see people like them represented in game.

It’s equivalent to saying Alter Self can cure your gender and ethnicity.

ezo

I cast invisibility
Life for an adventurer would be much easier if they wore full face helmets too, but they rarely do when they have their portrait painted.
Sure, but I doubt they are getting their portraits painted while adventuring in a dungeon or something.

So, the question each should to ask themselves is - did I explicitly phrase it as my own feeling (or how I would run it, etc) when I said it? Or, did I leave that assumed/implicit/unsaid?

I'm not going to trace up through the thread to see if you did this, in particular. But we see this time and again - folks will state their personal opinion without any such qualifiers clearly stated, and then getting all surprised when folks read the text as written.
I understand your position, but frankly unless people are citing facts about something, etc. everything is personal opinion. I really shouldn't have to state that explicitly. I've done so in my last several posts (e.g. IMO, to me, my opinion) because others seems to overlook that if I am speaking about something for myself, it is always my opinion.

To think otherwise, IMO, is basically saying "You're saying this is how it has to be for everyone", which is never the case. If people think that, they can ask me to clarify. The assumption is on them.

Regarding eyesight and healing magic, I’d definitely say that’s a DM call, and not one explicitly supported by the text.
Mostly I agree with this, with the sole exception of heal and blindness/deafness. Lesser restoration is a DM call, one I personally support to help with vision impairment (not full blindness, which I realize now heal would handle).

What about failing sight due to old age? Does Heal or Restoration work on that? Will it regrow my hair? Restore its colour? Fix arthritis or worn joints? If so, do adventurers who are routinely subjected to healing magic never age? If that’s the case, then the image of an old Gandalf-style wizard would be just as out of place as a simple pair of glasses.
We know D&D doesn't deal with such things explicitly other than blinded/deafened "conditions" and complete blindness/deafness. So, yeah, largely DM calls. Frankly, if a player wanted greater restoration or regeneration to regrow hair, have at it.

Again, its a game involving magic which can raise the dead, travel to other planes of existance, etc. Regrowing hair, aiding impaired vision, etc. all seem like minor magic comparatively. Obviously people don't have to have it in their games, but seems odd to have such powerful magic, and not less powerful magic.

Chaosmancer

Legend
But I am staunchly opposed to the success of Isekai (given it really is "the worst" of anime, by and large - it doesn't even usually have good animation or fights! The lowest possible standard for Shonen-style anime!) and follow a lot of Gen Z accounts on various social media that I think will tip me off if it ever goes mainstream in the West - thankfully it has not so far!

If you want a really good Isekai, Ascension of a Bookworm is amazing.

There aren't very many things that could be considered a "fight" but that's not the point of an Isekai. Sure, some Isekai aren't good, but it always bothers me to see people blanket stating something like an entire genre is the worst of anime. Like, Digimon wasn't the peak of Anime, but it was good and is an Isekai, same with .Hack//

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I assume that a lot of people associate white and gold with Catholic priestly vestments since white is the color worn on Christmas and Easter, which would be times when more attention is given to Masses than other times of year. In reality, speaking as an altar boy from some time ago (and, as the article you linked shows, nothing has changed in the meantime), green is actually the most common color worn by Catholic priests simply because most of the year is in Ordinary Time which is when that color is worn. White and violet would vie for second place, with red bring behind those, and with rose bring worn only on two days.
Heck, if you go down the rabbit hole of various regional and historical Rites and such, you can add pink ("Rose"), baby blue, navy blue. And black to the list.

The "white flowy garment with color accessorization" is pretty deeply ingrained culturally, at any rate...though I think this Wizard looks more Star Trek government official than Catholic/Orthodox clergy.

Several posters have said this wizard gives MTG vibes. Several other posters have pointed out that that Strixhaven is a D&D setting. Which got me thinking:

How fast would the D&D corner of the internet explode if the sample setting in the DMG was Dominaria?
Better than Forgotten Realms, that's for sure!

I really don't get the MTG complaint. Like I haven't player MTG for ages, but I still browse MTG art time to time, as it tends to be high quality, as well as imaginative and evocative. And some specific themes and concepts aside, I don't find it unfitting to D&D at all. D&D art style has varied from editions to edition, so there really isn't any specific art style I strongly associate with D&D anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads