D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Where does that assumption come from? The liberal use of the commoner stat block throughout published 5e adventures?

It's not like retired adventurers weren't fairly common throughout the 1e/2e age with all of the former adventurers setting up bar in the Forgotten Realms.
The worst offender in this regard was the 2e Al-Qadim books, in which character level correlated almost entirely with social status.

Like how the Caliph, who was described as sheltered and had barely left the palace, was also a 20th level fighter. :(

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The worst offender in this regard was the 2e Al-Qadim books, in which character level correlated almost entirely with social status.

Like how the Caliph, who was described as sheltered and had barely left the palace, was also a 20th level fighter. :(
A far earlier offender would have been the Greyhawk folio. The various leaders of countries in that source were also high level character classes.

But an important point to make would be that the rules for PCs don't necessarily define the lives of NPCs.

Last edited:

I was going to push back on this, then I went and googled what a World of Warcraft priest looks like (not being a WoW player, I honestly didn't know) and the first fan art (I think it's fan art? Again, quickly googling) was this:

b4408be7bf4bc1d4637b83da16131c4a.jpg

Fair enough. Point taken.
Haha yes - or like:

1711466699187.png

Or this:

1711466780740.png

Or this:

1711467024217.png

Hell if I was still subscribed I could go in game and get screenshots of my Priest levitating, with gold-glowing (from Priest magic, not race) eyes, holding a staff, with a golden spherical shield around me, as well as pictures of similar outfits.

Yeah it's weird because long, long before that, settings like The Forgotten Realms and Taladas had featured numerous important people who were pretty low-level (though rarely 1 HD to be fair - but like 3 HD or 3rd level or 5th level? Sure), all the way back in the 1989. I'm sure there were 1E examples too. It was really inconsistent though - like Azoun IV was level 20, which seemed a little excessive, but at least he had a long and storied career as a first an adventurer, then king/knight to vaguely justify it.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Where does that assumption come from? The liberal use of the commoner stat block throughout published 5e adventures?

It's not like retired adventurers weren't fairly common throughout the 1e/2e age with all of the former adventurers setting up bar in the Forgotten Realms.

Nothing to do with adventure books, just how I see modern fans expressing their world. Magic schools! Old school it was more apprenticed to the one wizard in the largest town int he area.

By the by ran an old adventure module a year ago and their was all of 2 retired adventurers in the town. The wizard in his tower and his long time adventuring pal fighter.

Yaarel

He Mage
Because of this ost old characters of PC classes are in the NPC stage or never were adventurers.
There is no such thing as an "NPC stage".

PCs are always the property of the players, and never cease to be. At any time, players can decide to play a high tier campaign and pull out their high level characters from earlier campaigns to do it.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Nothing to do with adventure books, just how I see modern fans expressing their world. Magic schools! Old school it was more apprenticed to the one wizard in the largest town int he area.

By the by ran an old adventure module a year ago and their was all of 2 retired adventurers in the town. The wizard in his tower and his long time adventuring pal fighter.
There's a been a University of Magical Arts in the Free City of Greyhawk since at least 1989 with the City of Greyhawk boxed set. So it's not exactly the newest school of D&D players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads