• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heres the poll: Realms or Midnight?

Favourite Campaign Setting ?

• Midnight

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Forgotten Realms

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 26 43.3%

young_dwarf

First Post
Sorry , heres a poll in this thread, still the same question!

Edit: Just clarifying the subject line... - Eridanis

Last edited by a moderator:

Mirth

Explorer
As I said before, Midnight is the gal for me;)

Also, I'll echo Krug and say that you need to change the title of this thread. You are guaranteed to get more results if you do.

Jay

Aulayan

First Post
As I write this, Other is currently leading with Midnight in Second. That won't last.

You're asking us to choose between a new setting that, while (I think) is selling well, has only been out a few months. And a setting that has been out for over a decade, has numerous books, computer games, and so much detail on it....

Well, I can bet just which setting will take the lead.

However, I do prefer Midnight.

Fenes 2

First Post
I voted FR, although I use a heavily modified FR (with less magic items and magic in general, and some changes concerning history and races).

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Definately change the title.

IMHO, Midnight is simply a better setting to game in. There really isn't much that can be done in the Realms that can't be done in Greyhawk.

Midnight is a bold step in a new direction. It is very different than any other setting released to date.

Heck, the books themselves are very different. IMHO, the Realms book read like an encyclopedia while the Midnight book on the other hand was a joy to read.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Bagpuss said:
What is Midnight? (Hmm can you tell I've not been following the board for awhile?)

Go here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/midnight.html
And here: http://www.againsttheshadow.org/index.php

The best way to descibe Midnight is Middle Earth if Sauron had won. Now, imagine that with a little "Nazi Germany" influence and you are getting the picture.

Several new races.
Three new core classes. (That are actually needed.)
Wizards and Druids are prestige classes.
New Magic System (The best I've seen.)
Izrador, the Dark God has taken over most of the world.
No good clerics. (All clerics, called Legates, worship the only god, Izrador which is very evil.)
Magic is outlawed.
Literacy is outlawed.
Orcs and the goblin races are the new government
Human-centric world. (3 subraces of humans.)
Elves and Dwarves are executed on sight by Izrador's forces.
The economy has completly collapsed. Coins are worthless in most areas.
The Dwarves and Elves are fighting a huge battle for their territories.
Heroic Paths (Powers granted at each level to make up for the lack of magic.)
The world has been severed from the planes. (No teleportation and no way to heaven or hell. The dead sometimes rise because they have nowhere to go. The gods can't hear the prayers of their worshippers anymore. No clerics.)

Thats some of the major tidbits. ;)

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Skaros

First Post
Forgotten Realms. There is a hell of a lot of material for the game world, and it is blindingly simple to house rule out anything I consider cheese (Elminster, whatever).

Never heard of Midnight.

Skaros

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Aulayan said:
You're asking us to choose between a new setting that, while (I think) is selling well, has only been out a few months. And a setting that has been out for over a decade, has numerous books, computer games, and so much detail on it....

Well. The point is to only vote if you have seen and read through both settings. After all, how can you say FR is better if you haven't seen Midnight.

You are right though, I'm sure thousands more people have been exposed to the Realms and have never heard of Midnight.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Well, I've not read Midnight and I'd rather eat a urinal cake that go FR (the fast food equivalent of campaign worlds), so I guess I'm stuck with "Other."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads