PF2E Here's What's Coming For Pathfinder Over The Coming Year

At their (now online) convention this last weekend, Paizo revealed some information about upcoming Pathfinder 2E stuff!

Amongst other things, they announced The Abomination Vaults, their first 3-part adventure path, followed by Fists of the Ruby Phoenix (a worldwide test of martial arts and magic held every 10 years), also 3-parts.

Bestiary 2 released very recently; Bestiary 3 is now announced for March 2021! And the Lost Omens Ancestry Guide has a whole bunch of new character options for existing ancestries as well as new ancestries.

052820_Bestiary3.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 12.26.13 PM.png

052820_AdvancedPlayersGuide.jpg

Wayne Reynolds' cover art of the Advanced Player's Guide

052820_BeginnerBoxContent.jpg

Contents of November's Beginner Box

pathfinder-beginner-box.jpg

Russ Morrissey

Comments

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I wrote the thread. I know what it’s about.
Right, but I'm trying to point out how it might not be so clear to others. If the thread was something like "here are the new products Paizo revealed" or something to that effect, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Right, but I'm trying to point out how it might not be so clear to others. If the thread was something like "here are the new products Paizo revealed" or something to that effect, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
I mean, the thread literally says “At their (now online) convention this last weekend, Paizo revealed some information about upcoming Pathfinder 2E stuff!”

I don’t know why you find it necessary to threadcrap, but you’re being a douchebag. If the post is not up to your exacting standards, go read some other thread or something. Jeez.

Internet. Sometimes I think it was a mistake.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I mean, the thread literally says “At their (now online) convention this last weekend, Paizo revealed some information about upcoming Pathfinder 2E stuff!”
RIght, and the Kingmaker Bestiary is an upcoming product (albeit not one for 2E), and so I mentioned that I wished that information about it was among those revealed. Which apparently upset you pretty deeply, for some reason.

I don’t know why you find it necessary to threadcrap, but you’re being a douchebag. If the post is not up to your exacting standards, go read some other thread or something. Jeez.

Internet. Sometimes I think it was a mistake.
This wasn't threadcrapping, it was a misunderstanding caused by imprecise language. Though it's rather disconcerting to be lectured to about tone by someone who made passive-aggressive remarks like "if they haven't announced it, how do you know about it?" That doesn't contribute to any sort of constructive dialogue. Neither does throwing around terms like "douchebag." I don't understand why this is getting under your skin so much. Misunderstandings happen all the time; when they do, you take a deep breath, work them out, and move on.

In any event, since the ambiguity is resolved (i.e. that this thread is only for talking about new products revealed at PaizoCon, rather than all Pathfinder products to be released over the coming year) I'm going to bow out of this thread, since it's not discussing what I thought it was.

Reynard

Legend
To circle back around on topic, I am curious when or if Paizo will start doing individual modules again outside of Society scenarios. Obviously they did Plaguestone but that appears to have been a one off to get people playing quickly while waiting for the AP to accrue. I loved the Pathfinder modules line for 1E. I hope it makes a return.

imagineGod

Adventurer
Box set looks great. The Kingmaker AP looks great. The next set of minis looks great. Too bad everyone I know and play with plays D&D only.....
Have you tried introducing Pathfinder 2e to them?
Obviously, it is not ideal for newbies, but it is easy to pick up by veteran D&D Players who want something with a bit more crunch, just a bit.

PaizoCon online had a panel dedicated to Kingmaker explaining a bit on the conversion process to PF2 and what could be found within. If I recall correctly the Kingmaker material and products are still in active development and for a variety of reasons doesn't have a firm release date at this time though they'd like the end of the year.

mach1.9pants

Adventurer
Interestingly it seems the Beginner Box is not a cut down rules set like the (awesome) PF1 version, but a limited options with full rules. Similar to 5e Basic Rules. I think that is a better way to introduce noobies, and also for players to learn the rules.

I am also very interested in the mega dungeon, there is also a hardcover mega dungeon in the adventure (module) series that was delayed, I'm really looking forward to that. PF2 combat is really tough and challenging, I think dungeoneering is good fun, think before you engage old school style.

My confusion is about why Morrus is so upset by my mentioning a product that Paizo didn't apparently talk about during PaizoCon Online. Given that he started a thread about upcoming products, I thought it was entirely appropriate.
There was a whole panel on the Kingamker products which are all still Late 2020 releases. No firm date yet. The Bestiaries aren’t true bestiaries. More like all the information you need to run the Kingmaker AP in PF1 or 5e. You will of course still need the 2e book to run it.

Kaodi

Adventurer
Finally a chance to live out the dream of fighting Yamcha, Master Roshi, and Piccolo D&D style.

imagineGod

Adventurer
I'm especially interested in the shorter adventure paths. I'm running Age of Ashes currently, but that group typically gets burned out on long campaigns.
The best Adventure Paths I found for my group are the three part series ones. Paizo's Starfinder does have some nice ones, like Against the Aeon Throne and the character also stop before they reach 10th level, which is my personal sweet spot for play from my first D&D3.5e experience all through Pathfinder and Starfinder.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
The best Adventure Paths I found for my group are the three part series ones. Paizo's Starfinder does have some nice ones, like Against the Aeon Throne and the character also stop before they reach 10th level, which is my personal sweet spot for play from my first D&D3.5e experience all through Pathfinder and Starfinder.
Did they just announce recently an upcoming 2e 3 part adventure path? I'm sure I saw it here on ENworld...

CapnZapp

Legend
Two, Abomination Vaults and Fist of the Ruby Phoenix. The first one is 1-10 or 11 and the second is 11-20. The first one starts in January.
Yes, so in practice the first half of '21 will feature about the same levels as for a regular (1-20) AP: January begins at level 1, and June ends at level 20.

The difference is that half-way through, one story stops and a different one begins.

Von Ether

Adventurer
Have you tried introducing Pathfinder 2e to them?
Obviously, it is not ideal for newbies, but it is easy to pick up by veteran D&D Players who want something with a bit more crunch, just a bit.
This is where I think PF and 5e have a good symbiotic relationship. 5e is the steamlined version that gets and maintains people in the hobby while those who get into the build game can enjoy Pathfinder.

Neither version is badwrongfun but instead of complaining or tempting WotC to push 5e into a weird shape (or increase the rules bloat, which shortens the edition's life cycle), there's another option for them.

Von Ether

Adventurer
Yes, so in practice the first half of '21 will feature about the same levels as for a regular (1-20) AP: January begins at level 1, and June ends at level 20.

The difference is that half-way through, one story stops and a different one begins.
I like that. The issue with a leveling system is that the power curve changes. You can see that in the early APs where almost every plot goes from nobodies to planar invaders.

When I played around with a sci-fi d20 Modern game, each 5 levels became a different arc with a different set of stakes. i.e., cyberpunk street rats, then fugitive government lab rats, then blackmailed experimental mecha pilots to superheroes stopping an alien invasion.

Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters

Advertisement1

Latest threads

Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters

Advertisement2

Advertisement4