Pathfinder 2E Here's What's Coming For Pathfinder Over The Coming Year

At their (now online) convention this last weekend, Paizo revealed some information about upcoming Pathfinder 2E stuff!

Amongst other things, they announced The Abomination Vaults, their first 3-part adventure path, followed by Fists of the Ruby Phoenix (a worldwide test of martial arts and magic held every 10 years), also 3-parts.

Bestiary 2 released very recently; Bestiary 3 is now announced for March 2021! And the Lost Omens Ancestry Guide has a whole bunch of new character options for existing ancestries as well as new ancestries.

052820_Bestiary3.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 12.26.13 PM.png

052820_AdvancedPlayersGuide.jpg

Wayne Reynolds' cover art of the Advanced Player's Guide

052820_BeginnerBoxContent.jpg

Contents of November's Beginner Box

pathfinder-beginner-box.jpg

imagineGod

Legend
I'm especially interested in the shorter adventure paths. I'm running Age of Ashes currently, but that group typically gets burned out on long campaigns.
The best Adventure Paths I found for my group are the three part series ones. Paizo's Starfinder does have some nice ones, like Against the Aeon Throne and the character also stop before they reach 10th level, which is my personal sweet spot for play from my first D&D3.5e experience all through Pathfinder and Starfinder.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
The best Adventure Paths I found for my group are the three part series ones. Paizo's Starfinder does have some nice ones, like Against the Aeon Throne and the character also stop before they reach 10th level, which is my personal sweet spot for play from my first D&D3.5e experience all through Pathfinder and Starfinder.
Did they just announce recently an upcoming 2e 3 part adventure path? I'm sure I saw it here on ENworld...

CapnZapp

Legend
Two, Abomination Vaults and Fist of the Ruby Phoenix. The first one is 1-10 or 11 and the second is 11-20. The first one starts in January.
Yes, so in practice the first half of '21 will feature about the same levels as for a regular (1-20) AP: January begins at level 1, and June ends at level 20.

The difference is that half-way through, one story stops and a different one begins.

Von Ether

Legend
Have you tried introducing Pathfinder 2e to them?
Obviously, it is not ideal for newbies, but it is easy to pick up by veteran D&D Players who want something with a bit more crunch, just a bit.

This is where I think PF and 5e have a good symbiotic relationship. 5e is the steamlined version that gets and maintains people in the hobby while those who get into the build game can enjoy Pathfinder.

Neither version is badwrongfun but instead of complaining or tempting WotC to push 5e into a weird shape (or increase the rules bloat, which shortens the edition's life cycle), there's another option for them.

Von Ether

Legend
Yes, so in practice the first half of '21 will feature about the same levels as for a regular (1-20) AP: January begins at level 1, and June ends at level 20.

The difference is that half-way through, one story stops and a different one begins.

I like that. The issue with a leveling system is that the power curve changes. You can see that in the early APs where almost every plot goes from nobodies to planar invaders.

When I played around with a sci-fi d20 Modern game, each 5 levels became a different arc with a different set of stakes. i.e., cyberpunk street rats, then fugitive government lab rats, then blackmailed experimental mecha pilots to superheroes stopping an alien invasion.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Agreed though I might substitute the Moldvay Basic for the Red Box but 8 have a soft spot for B/X

I dont play PF, too crunchy, but will pick up the starter set for sure as ot is probably rules light enough to give a try.

While the price point on PF2's Beginner Box is likely higher than PF1 was on release, it is worth saying that the original PF1 Beginner Box was, hands down, the best value in RPG gaming. Period.

When initially released and purchased through Amazon, for $18.99, you got:

• A full set of polyhedal dice;
    • A flip mat - blank and reusable on one side like all of Paizo's flip mats;
    • A generous set of Pawns (thick cardboard minis) that were so popular, they spawned an entire product line;
    • A full set of plastic bases for your pawns; and
    • [Adventure, GM rules and Player rules + character sheets.]
If you never played or looked at the rest of the PF1 Beginner Box apart from the accessories contents, it was still easily the best gaming value for your money. Even if you only ever used it for 5e.

And no, because of the high value accessories contents, there was no box for D&D -- any edition -- that could ever touch it for usefulness and value - going all the way back to the original Blue Box.

Last edited:

Markh3rd

Explorer
While the price point on PF2's Beginner Box is likely higher than PF1 was on release, it is worth saying that the original PF1 Beginner Box was, hands down, the best value in RPG gaming. Period.

When initially released and purchased through Amazon, for $18.99, you got:

• A full set of polyhedal dice;
    • A flip mat - blank and reusable on one side like all of Paizo's flip mats;
    • A generous set of Pawns (thick cardboard minis) that were so popular, they spawned an entire product line;
    • A full set of plastic bases for your pawns; and
    • [Adventure, GM rules and Player rules + character sheets.]
If you never played or looked at the rest of the PF1 Beginner Box apart from the accessories contents, it was still easily the best gaming value for your money. Even if you only ever used it for 5e.

And no, because of the high value accessories contents, there was no box for D&D -- any edition -- that could ever touch it for usefulness and value - going all the way back to the original Blue Box.

Is this the same Steel wind that used to do the Pathfinder Chronicles Podcast for PF1 adventures?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases