• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes#10: The Eclipse : Part 1/Nov2008

Wycen

Explorer
We should start a petition so that Brown Jenkin has to give real time comments on every episode of Heroes (or whatever other show we can agree upon once Heroes is gone).

Maybe you've been doing that, but I only remember last weeks.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Alright.

What the hell was with the Elle and Sylar plotline? All is going more or less swimmingly from their perspective, and Sylar is being (probably) a good double agent (Angela's Dream tells it true), and all of a sudden...

BAM!!

Out of frikkin' NOWHERE Elle decides to foment domestic terroism - or at least a good old fashioned super villain murder and robbery without any remotely good reason for doing so - just...."because"?

And Sylar goes along with it? Just because? He's never kicked the crap out of normals just for kicks before. WTH was that all about?

Everything else was more or less ok (though Masi Oka must be pissed off at this turn of events his character has taken on the show...) but the Elle and Sylar thing was like someone in grade 8 - whose Dad is a writer on the show - hopped on Dad's laptop and changed the script just before the shoot.

text to BFF: "ZOMG!! Like, you wouldn't BELIEVE it. Dad left his laptop on at the kitchen table!!!!".
BFF texts back: "ZOMG!!!!! Is the script there? Change it and let's watch what happens!"
text to BFF: "Wouldn't that be, like, totally cool?"
BFF texts back: "Oh, like, totally, Do it!!!1111!!"

*meh*

Digging deeper - I suppose you could chalk it up to Elle trying to save Claire's life and improvising on the fly - by randomly killing some rental guy, hoping that the cops would be on the way and stop them - or at least alert the Company...

Of course - just HOW Elle and Sylar know where to go tp find Claire is not at all clear. At least - it was not clear to me.

And when HRG is about to kill Sylar, Elle gets conflicted and goes to save her new love by shooting HRG, and bedlam ensues.

I guess, that's the best spin you could put on it all in there's-a-method-to-her-madness land.

But it still just came off totally wrong.

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Alright.

What the hell was with the Elle and Sylar plotline?

SNIP

But it still just came off totally wrong.

I think Sylar has the "plot convenience" power... That or Lyle Bennet once again tipped Sylar off to Claire's location (since we all know he resents her).

Or... maybe Elle has been hanging out with Mohinder.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
We should start a petition so that Brown Jenkin has to give real time comments on every episode of Heroes (or whatever other show we can agree upon once Heroes is gone).

Maybe you've been doing that, but I only remember last weeks.

Thanks,

Its only been the last few weeks. I'm not sure why I started but I am having fun with it right now.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
After thinking about things I have decided to go with my lower rating of 6/10. While there were some good character moments it was the science that leaves me upset. By this I don't mean the magical eclipse that covers everything and lasts forever. No my problem is that the show has spent a lot of time telling us that powers were genetic and that could be replicated via chemistry, and then this episode happens which makes an eclipse effect the powers. I need a really fast explanation of how this is possible.

satori01

First Post
It was a "Meh" espisode for me. "Everything is going to change" and yet nothing really did. The Nathan/ Peter dialogue was annoying to me. I loved Nathan in season 1 but his character has reached an end. Moreover Flight is just not useful enough in the context the show finds itself.

Too much banal character "personal" troubles and not enough plot /arc. Note to Hereos.....you do not have good actors.....(Peter *cough* Matt* cough tracy*), please do not give the sensitive scenes that really would play well with acting touch and subtlety.

Elodan

Adventurer
Can someone explain the whole Clair-bear is the catalyst thing?

Didn't a bunch of people already have powers before Clair was born (Adam Monroe I'm looking at you)?

I thought the show was getting better but it's seems to have relapsed with this episode. I'm a tad worried that Vol. 4 will be called "Fugitives."

apoptosis

First Post
Going to war? Get a shotgun and blow off Arthur's head. And Knox's and Sylar's and anyone else who gets in your way. Superheroes are a lot more manageable without solid defenses against high-powered firearms.

This has always been my issue with superheroes stories. Many times a friggin gun is more useful than their powers. Yeah throwing flame is great, a gun will be as effective in most cases.

It has always been the fatal flaw of most of these stories for me.

LightPhoenix

First Post
This has always been my issue with superheroes stories. Many times a friggin gun is more useful than their powers. Yeah throwing flame is great, a gun will be as effective in most cases.

Or hitting them in the head with a wooden floorboard. :)

There were some pretty cool scenes in this episode - mostly involving HRG - but that wasn't really enough to boost it over meh. People having powers is what makes the show interesting, so it's kind of dumb to take them away. Except for Peter, who is pretty awesome without powers, and the Haitian, who is pretty awesome all the time.

My vote for the story getting the axe this week is Hiro/Ando/Matt/Daphne. It was a decent story... better than Elle/Sylar or Mohinder/Arthur, and a decent setup (people rely too much on powers). However, it really didn't add anything to the movement of the story. Also, add me to the list of people feeling bad for Masi Oka.

I think Elle/Sylar would have been a decent story with a little more context/subtext/explanation of what was going on. I get the impression that both of them were going to betray Arthur, and neither picked up on the other. Elle was trying to convert Sylar, Sylar was trying to ignore Elle. It was just a mess, and it needed a little more blatant exposition.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads