D&D 5E Heroes Feast---holy moly this is an uber spell

You could always have the monsters having access to casting "Full English" as their equivalent, or having the spell Greasy Spoon (basically divine weapon in the shape of a massive glowing fork impaling a greasy sausage, but deals cholesterol damage).

How about:
Dwarves, halflings, gnomes - 50% total max HP
Humans, Dragonborn, half orcs - 33% total max HP
Tieflings, elves, half elves - 20% total max HP

Hit that figure and you suffer from the following:
1 level of exhaustion
Vulnerability to Sleep spell
Fall prone
Make death saves each round or suffer one additional level of exhaustion per fail (three saves and you're fine plus you get a bonus Belch attack - all within 30' range cone must make save v CON or be stunned for one round)

-

I think more people would have more fun if they completely abandoned the idea of money being there to buy magic iitems. Of course if that is how you are coming into the game you'll be thinking, "what can I spend my money on?" You shouldn't be coming into 5e that way though. You should be thinking, "I'm rich! No more cheap inns and torn clothes for me!" It's time to buy real-estate, pay for expensive cruises, wear that jewelry you found rather than selling it.

These kids today...*Shakes head*

Azurewraith

Explorer
You could always have the monsters having access to casting "Full English" as their equivalent, or having the spell Greasy Spoon (basically divine weapon in the shape of a massive glowing fork impaling a greasy sausage, but deals cholesterol damage).

How about:
Dwarves, halflings, gnomes - 50% total max HP
Humans, Dragonborn, half orcs - 33% total max HP
Tieflings, elves, half elves - 20% total max HP

Hit that figure and you suffer from the following:
1 level of exhaustion
Vulnerability to Sleep spell
Fall prone
Make death saves each round or suffer one additional level of exhaustion per fail (three saves and you're fine plus you get a bonus Belch attack - all within 30' range cone must make save v CON or be stunned for one round)

-
Think I could slide it into my game as a bazinga?

That's only advantage and 1/2 damage. HF is immunity, which makes a word of difference. It also targets multiple creatures and lasts for more than 1 hour. Prot Poison is a great spell of course, but it's apples to oranges.

My table at this seasons Epic used it. Made the "dragon" fight laughably easy.

Sure, immunity is great for things like abusing Stinking Cloud, but the question stands, because if that 200 points of damage would have been reduced to 60-70 HP of damage by Protection From Poison, the incremental benefit of Heroes' Feast is lower.

Hmmm, I think I might have just talked myself into liking Heroes' Feast. There are lots of things you can do when you're immune to friendly fire. Grapple enemies and drag them into your Cloudkill, for one. Use Cloudkill to provide heavy obscurement for advantage, for another. Being able to proactively exploit Heroes' Feast is an order of magnitude better than just keeping it prepared just in case you ever run into a green dragon with an hour's warning. You can already play many of these tricks with undead skeleton archers and zombies, but if the PCs can benefit too it closes a vulnerability.

I think more people would have more fun if they completely abandoned the idea of money being there to buy magic iitems. Of course if that is how you are coming into the game you'll be thinking, "what can I spend my money on?" You shouldn't be coming into 5e that way though. You should be thinking, "I'm rich! No more cheap inns and torn clothes for me!" It's time to buy real-estate, pay for expensive cruises, wear that jewelry you found rather than selling it.

So much this. I think it's a bad habit from video games like Diablo, wherein gold is just a number that you genuinely can't do anything interesting with except buy weapons, because it's not really a role-playing game.

Sometimes you get the impression that some people, when reading the story of the Goose That Laid Golden Eggs, would immediately ask whether you can use those eggs to buy magic swords. "And if not, then what's the point?"

If ever you feel like you somehow have nothing to spend money on in D&D, try:

1.) Offering a giant guard a sack full of gold to skedaddle,
2.) Paying for a new roof for your widowed neighbor,
3.) Buying a fancy car^H^H^Hmanor to impress girls,
4.) Buying orphans out of slavery when you can't feasibly free them by violence without causing legal trouble for yourself,
5.) Hiring a dozen hobgoblin mercenaries to fight for you,
6.) Buying a thousand hobgoblin mercenaries to fight for you.

If none of these choices appeal to you, then I guess you live 24-7 in a dungeon. Hence the name "murderhobo."

Mine hasn't gotten to 11th level either yet, but the treasure tables (according to those who have done the math) would indicate that each PC should have gotten about 25k gold by then (minus, of course, whatever they spent along the way). The way I see it, that puts a 1,000 gp expense in the "we can do it without too much trouble, but not routinely" category.

Of course, if you're doing it to kill a green dragon each time, you're probably recouping far more than 1000 gp per usage--so it could be routine for dragon-slaying.

Or drow-hunting.

Last edited:

discosoc

First Post
Yes, it's powerful. However, it does cost 1,000 gp per cast, so it's hardly a spell you can use in a routine situation.

1k gold is nothing. There's really nothing you need to buy anyway, unless the setting has made magic items common enough to be sold. My last group actually had a running joke about how frequently they come across "valuable statues and tapestries" as treasure. The don't even bother checking for treasure beyond possible plot items anymore because not only does the treasure never seem to exist, but the raw coin you find has nothing to use it for anyway.

Exactly.

Its weird that I see so many peeps complaining they have nothing to spend money on.

Fine clothes, bling jewlery, big houses, fine wine, beautiful women, and investments. The kind of stuff rich dudes spend money on.

Weirded out when you see 10th level PCs with tens of thousdands of gold haggling over a few copper and still sleeping in communal rooms in taverns like 1st level chumps.

1k gold is nothing. There's really nothing you need to buy anyway, unless the setting has made magic items common enough to be sold. My last group actually had a running joke about how frequently they come across "valuable statues and tapestries" as treasure. The don't even bother checking for treasure beyond possible plot items anymore because not only does the treasure never seem to exist, but the raw coin you find has nothing to use it for anyway.

Think about this for a bit, and apply it to real life. Who (barring Bill Gates) has ever said this?

What are your PCs living in when they return from the monster and trap riddled rocky and dank dungeons they kick around in? Do they have some kind of aversion to luxury or something? Do they not care about their families (like most people) desiring to set them up for life with investments and status, or seek to donate to orginisations they work for, charities etc?

If you were a treasure hunter and you found a million old Roman gold coins... what would YOU do with your new wealth?

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Something that I always think when phrases such as "1k gold is nothing." are brought up:

If it truly is nothing, why did the characters bother collecting it when they found it or agreeing to it as their compensation for providing some service?

Remove ads