log in or register to remove this ad

 

D&D 5E Heroes of Hydellor

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Owyn made the most of his chance to rest, he quickly bandaged up his wounds and took a few minutes to stretch before finding the most comfortable place he could to lounge and relax.

Once they were done he seemed quite refreshed and gladly helped with the heavy lifting and whatever else he could do to support the venture.

Upon hearing about the dangers of the bone forest, he sobered up a bit, but only enough to show that he was taking this seriously.

Owyn Karnigran
AC: 19
HP: 36/36, THP: 8, Hit Dice: 2/4
Superiority Dice: 4/4 Available (D8's)
Medium Armor Master
No DA on Dex(Stealth) checks
from med. armor.
Can add +3 dex to AC with Med armor worn.
Fighting Style: Protection
(When creature you can see att. target other than self within 5 ft, may use reaction to impose DA on that attack.)
Second Wind: Use Bonus Action to regain 1d10+Fighter level HP. 1/SR
Action Surge: Take 1 extra action, 1/SR
Sentinel:
When you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, their speed becomes 0 for the rest of the turn.
Creatures within 5 ft. Of you provoke opportunity attacks even if they take the disengage action.
When a creature within 5 ft. Of you makes an attack against a target other than you(and they don't also have this feat), you may use your RA to make a melee weapon attack against the attacking creature.
Martial Archetype: Battle Master
Combat Superiority:
1: Goading Attack: On hit with weapon attack, expend SD to attempt to goad target into attacking you. Add SD to damage roll and target must make Wis save. On fail, they have DA on all attack rolls against targets other than you until end of your next turn.
Rally: On your turn, can use a BA and expend SD to bolster one ally. 1 friendly creature who can see and hear you gains THP = SD roll + your Cha(3).
Precision Attack: After attack roll but before resolution, may spend 1 SD to add result to the attack roll.
Save DC: 14
 

log in or register to remove this ad


Lord Twig

Explorer
Mindra spends the hour double checking her supplies, then just resting and observing the people of the village going about their daily lives. She watches their behavior and tries figure out what sets them apart and what this place might have done to them.

OOC: Wisdom save: 1D20+4 = [10]+4 = 14
I'm not going to make a roll for Mindra's observation, she isn't really trying to figure anything out. She is just bored and is watching the people for something to do. :)
 


KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Shadowfell/Bone Forest
Seaday, Emperorweek, 3 Moon, 897 AF/Time ????
Weather: Chilly, no wind, light rain
Lighting: Dim
Round 0

The party got started down the river with their escorts. The first two hours were uneventful, but as they started to approach the Bone Forest, Alet and Crimsyn grew more tense, more alert, scanning the banks of the river. The river itself was fairly wide, the water bone-chilling cold. As they passed into the Bone Forest, the already chilly temperature seemed to drop slightly, though there was some relief from the light rain. The trees here were gnarled in shape, the bark bone white. What leaves the trees did have were such a dark green they were nearly black. The bony branches stretched over the river, dimming even further the already dim light.

Strange, eerie sounds came from the forest, moans, piercing shrieks, blood-curdling screams. Occasionally a wisp of light could be seen floating through the boney branches, or a strange shadow through the trunks. The leaves rustled with unseen dangers.

Alet drew his serrated greatsword, ready at hand as he worked the sails. Crimsyn unwrapped her spiked chain, her crimson hair stark against the dull landscape, her green eyes alight with a strange excitement. She and Alet both tightened the spiked armbands they wore, pressing the sharp points deeper into their flesh, little trickles of blood appearing on their arms.

Sayine huddled in fear under a bench on the keelboat. Beturea sat close to Owyn, murmuring prayers to Paladine, the Raven Queen, whoever would hear her. She yelped when a flock of dark bats screeched across the river to the other side.

Describe what your character is doing to help along the journey. Then pick a skill and make a roll. If you expend an appropriate spell or class ability or other limited resource (such as Pass without a Trace and make a Stealth roll to help along a particularly dangerous stretch of river), you can have advantage on the roll. If you use a non-renewable item (such as a potion or scroll, etc), you can have a free success. NPCs will roll in the next scene, if needed.

@Lord Twig
@Steve Gorak
@gargoyleking
@Charwoman Gene


Combat Map:
Player Overview Map:

Coriana (+2) AC 15 31+8 thp/31 PP 14
Mindra (+4) AC 15 35+8 thp/35 PP 18 Darkvision
Owyn (+3) AC 19 27+8 thp/36 PP 14
Theremin (+5) AC 15 27+8 thp/27 PP 14 Darkvision

Sayine (+5) AC 15 14+8 thp/14 PP 13 Darkvision, Breath, Spells (Yellow, 1/d): dancing lights, mage hand, minor illusion, color spray*, mirror image
Beturea (+1) AC 15 14+8 thp/16 PP 12
Alet Caravon (+0) AC 16 24/24 PP 10 Darkvision
Crimsyn Ledet (+3) AC 15 22/22 PP 11 Darkvision

Survival:
Marching Order:
Travel Pace:
Travel activity:
Light:

300 gp
Magic spear (unidentified)
 

Steve Gorak

Explorer
Theremin approaches Sayine and tries to comfort her. He then plays a soft tune to comfort everybody. He also goes from person to person, talking to reassure and motivate them.



As he goes about this, he has a flash of insight. He addresses his companions: “Friends, I can wrap us all in silence. We will not hear anything, but we will be completely silent. What say you, do I go ahead?

OOC: the idea is to ritually cast silence back to back. Not sure how noisy a ship really is, but at least it’s on the table
 

Lord Twig

Explorer
While not an expert in sailing, Mindra had plenty of experience guiding small boats along rivers to avoid unseen hazards. Taking control of the tiller Mindra pulled on all of her experience to navigate the river's waters. However, the strangeness of the place seemed to throw her off her game. She found herself constantly distracted or looking in the wrong place, just barely reacting in time when she was able to bring her focus back where it should be. She worried that eventually she might not notice her mistake until too late...

OOC: Mindra will use her Survival skill to aid the group with navigating the boat. Just wish I had rolled a little better. :(
Survival: 1D20+8 = [6]+8 = 14
 


gargoyleking

Adventurer
Owyn suggests working out a few simple hand signs with the others to aid in the handling of the boat and then sits towards the bow with a pair of oars to help speed the journey along, making sure to take his cues from Mindra or whoever else seems to be in charge.

Str(Athletics): 1d20+6 14
 

Steve Gorak

Explorer
Sensing consensus from his companions, Theremin agrees to hand gestures with all of them. He then goes to the back of the boat, and proceeds to cast a ritual.

OOC: cast silence as a ritual continuously. silence has a 20 ft radius, if the boat is more than 20ft, someone should act as a sentry at the front of it
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Shadowfell/Bone Forest
Seaday, Emperorweek, 3 Moon, 897 AF/Time ????
Weather: Chilly, no wind, light rain
Lighting: Dim
Round 0

The keelboat plied its way down the river, wrapped in the silence of Theremin’s ritual, guided by Mindra, and propelled by Owyn. While the strange sounds of the Bone Forest disappeared, the eerie quiet didn’t help anyone’s nerves much. It almost made it worse when they saw the flitting shadows in the trees, or when a sudden flight of bats or ravens swept across their path.

Crimsyn helped as she could, as well, pulling black cloth from her pack, wrapping weapons, boat accoutrements, anything to help silence what the spell didn’t cover.

Stealth: 1D20+6 = [1]+6 = 7

Adet helped Owyn in poling the boat.

Athletics: 1D20+3 = [15]+3 = 18

Beturea kept her eyes peeled for danger among the trees.

Perception: 1D20+1 = [13]+1 = 14

Sayine flew on ahead to scout, but soon came back. It was too scary!

Stealth: 1D20+7 = [1]+7 = 8

Deep into the forest, figures started to emerge from the trees, floating over the water. At first they seemed like cloaks, but then the party realized they were shapeless shadows as eight figures converged on the boat in eerie silence.

[OOC=Set up]Your boat uses the Keelboat stats and figure in Saltmarsh. It’s 60’ x 20’ with a 20x10 foot cabin aft and a ballista in the prow (+6 to hit; 3d10 piercing damage). There are 8 shadows about 20 feet away from the boat.

Characters edge out the shadows on initiative, so they go first.

Initiative:
Theremin 25
Adet 20
Sayine 14
Owyn 12
Shadows 10
Beturea 9
Mindra 7
Crimsyn 7
Coriana 5
[/OOC]

@Lord Twig
@Steve Gorak
@gargoyleking
@Charwoman Gene


Combat Map:
Player Overview Map:

Coriana (+2) AC 15 31+8 thp/31 PP 14
Mindra (+4) AC 15 35+8 thp/35 PP 18 Darkvision
Owyn (+3) AC 19 27+8 thp/36 PP 14
Theremin (+5) AC 15 27+8 thp/27 PP 14 Darkvision

Sayine (+5) AC 15 14+8 thp/14 PP 13 Darkvision, Breath, Spells (Yellow, 1/d): dancing lights, mage hand, minor illusion, color spray*, mirror image
Beturea (+1) AC 15 14+8 thp/16 PP 12
Alet Caravon (+0) AC 16 24/24 PP 10 Darkvision
Crimsyn Ledet (+3) AC 15 22/22 PP 11 Darkvision

Shadow 1 (+2) AC 12 19/19 PP 10 Darkvision
Shadow 2 (+2) AC 12 23/23 PP 10 Darkvision
Shadow 3 (+2) AC 12 21/21 PP 10 Darkvision
Shadow 4 (+2) AC 12 16/16 PP 10 Darkvision
Shadow 5 (+2) AC 12 17/17 PP 10 Darkvision
Shadow 6 (+2) AC 12 21/21 PP 10 Darkvision
Shadow 7 (+2) AC 12 17/17 PP 10 Darkvision
Shadow 8 (+2) AC 12 18/18 PP 10 Darkvision

Survival:
Marching Order:
Travel Pace:
Travel activity:
Light:

300 gp
Magic spear (unidentified)
 

Steve Gorak

Explorer
The silence and the ritual casting make Theremin hyper aware of his surroundings. He immediately notices the shadows approaching. He reacts quickly, and casts a spell he hopes will interfere with them.

OOC: Theremin stops concentring on silence, so hearing is back to normal. He then proceeds to cast Faerie fire on them. dex save dc 14 or they are affected (can’t become invisible and attacks have advantage against them)
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Not sure what these creatures were, Owyn went for his go-to strategy. Get in the way and attack. Drawing a javelin as he stood, the warrior moved to intepose himself before the nearest one or two of them and hurled his weapon.

Javelin: 1d20+5 22 1d6+3 6
Probably going to have to go without his shield for a round or two. Depending mainly on how effective this shot is.
 

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Shadowfell/Bone Forest
Seaday, Emperorweek, 3 Moon, 897 AF/Time ????
Weather: Chilly, no wind, light rain
Lighting: Dim
Round 1.2

Theremin’s faerie fire caught three of the shadows, setting them alight with glittering green and purple light.

Owyn threw a javelin at one of the shadows. It struck the creature squarely, but it didn’t seem to do as much damage as Owyn thought it should.

OOC: Mindra and Coriana left for Round 1 before the NPCs and villains.


[OOC=Set up]Your boat uses the Keelboat stats and figure in Saltmarsh. It’s 60’ x 20’ with a 20x10 foot cabin aft and a ballista in the prow (+6 to hit; 3d10 piercing damage). There are 8 shadows about 20 feet away from the boat.

Initiative:
Theremin 25
Adet 20
Sayine 14
Owyn 12
Shadows 10
Beturea 9
Mindra 7
Crimsyn 7
Coriana 5
[/OOC]

@Lord Twig
@Steve Gorak
@gargoyleking
@Charwoman Gene


Combat Map:
Player Overview Map:

Coriana (+2) AC 15 31+8 thp/31 PP 14
Mindra (+4) AC 15 35+8 thp/35 PP 18 Darkvision
Owyn (+3) AC 19 27+8 thp/36 PP 14
Theremin (+5) AC 15 27+8 thp/27 PP 14 Darkvision

Sayine (+5) AC 15 14+8 thp/14 PP 13 Darkvision, Breath, Spells (Yellow, 1/d): dancing lights, mage hand, minor illusion, color spray*, mirror image
Beturea (+1) AC 15 14+8 thp/16 PP 12
Alet Caravon (+0) AC 16 24/24 PP 10 Darkvision
Crimsyn Ledet (+3) AC 15 22/22 PP 11 Darkvision

Shadow 1 (+2) AC 12 19/19 PP 10 Darkvision, Faerie Fire
Shadow 2 (+2) AC 12 23/23 PP 10 Darkvision, Faerie Fire
Shadow 3 (+2) AC 12 21/21 PP 10 Darkvision
Shadow 4 (+2) AC 12 13/16 PP 10 Darkvision, Faerie Fire
Shadow 5 (+2) AC 12 17/17 PP 10 Darkvision
Shadow 6 (+2) AC 12 21/21 PP 10 Darkvision
Shadow 7 (+2) AC 12 17/17 PP 10 Darkvision
Shadow 8 (+2) AC 12 18/18 PP 10 Darkvision

Survival:
Marching Order:
Travel Pace:
Travel activity:
Light:

300 gp
Magic spear (unidentified)
 



Steve Gorak

Explorer
Theremin says “Vile creatures, go back to the forest!”. His words linger, and resonate with magic towards the closest shadow.

he also moves closer to the ballista ammunition.

OOC: cast vicious mockery on the closest shadow. Wis save Dc 14 or 1 damage, and disadvantage on next attack roll
 


KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Shadowfell/Bone Forest
Seaday, Emperorweek, 3 Moon, 897 AF/Time ????
Weather: Chilly, no wind, light rain
Lighting: Dim
Round 2

Theremin managed to get faerie fire settled on three of the shadows. Owyn and Mindra used that to their advantage, hitting one of the shadows, but their attacks didn’t seem to do as much damage as they should have.

Alet held out his hand. Three glowing white darts of magic flew from his hand. Two of them hit the shadow that the others had already struck. It shrieked in pain and dissipated into wispy streams of darkness. The other missile struck the next shadow, punching a small hole in its dark form.

Sayine whimpered and flew from Theremin’s shoulder. She cast a spell, and suddenly there were three more of her flying around.

Beturea readied her rapier. None of the shadows were in her range yet, but she would strike when she could.

Crimsyn twirled her spiked chain almost lazily. It seemed to almost glow with a black energy as she waited for the shadows to come in range.

The shadows surged toward the river boat. One of the glowing ones surged up to Alet, reaching out to touch him. It’s hand sank into his chest, and he grunted in pain as necrotic energy sapped his strength.

The second glowing shadow darted up to Mindra. It’s hand scraped across her face, feeling like the icy touch of death. She felt herself weaken as the necrotic energy drained her.

[OOC=Mindra]Mindra takes 6 necrotic damage, and her Strength score is reduced by 3 (to a -1 modifier).[/OOC]

Another shadow rushed at Alet, but this time he was able to dart under its touch.

A shadow launched itself at Crimsyn, who used her chain to entangle and redirect its arm to deflect it before it slipped free, and then she ducked under the attack of a second shadow.

One of the shadows rushed up behind Theremin, catching him by surprise, its black hand coming out through his chest as he felt his blood go cold.

[OOC=Theremin]Theremin takes 18 necrotic damage and his Strength score is reduced by 1.[/OOC]

The last shadow charged Beturea. The quavering woman held her ground, however, and with perfect form pierced it in the heart -- if it had a heart. Her rapier didn’t seem to do as much damage as it should have for such a strike. Beturea gasped silently as the shadow’s hand went through her throat, chilling the very air in her lungs.

PLAYERS ARE UP!

[OOC=Set up]Your boat uses the Keelboat stats and figure in Saltmarsh. It’s 60’ x 20’ with a 20x10 foot cabin aft and a ballista in the prow (+6 to hit; 3d10 piercing damage). There are 8 shadows about 20 feet away from the boat.

Initiative:
Theremin 25
Adet 20
Sayine 14
Owyn 12
Shadows 10
Beturea 9
Mindra 7
Crimsyn 7
Coriana 5
[/OOC]

@Lord Twig
@Steve Gorak
@gargoyleking
@Charwoman Gene


Combat Map:
Player Overview Map:

Coriana (+2) AC 15 31+8 thp/31 PP 14
Mindra (+4) AC 15 35+2 thp/35 PP 18 Darkvision; Str 9/12 (-1)
Owyn (+3) AC 19 27+8 thp/36 PP 14
Theremin (+5) AC 15 27+8 thp/27 PP 14 Darkvision; Str 11/12

Sayine (+5) AC 15 14+8 thp/14 PP 13 Mirror Image (3, 10r), Darkvision, Breath, Spells (Yellow, 1/d): dancing lights, mage hand, minor illusion, color spray*, mirror image*
Beturea (+1) AC 15 10/16 PP 12 Ready Attack; Str 10/11
Alet Caravon (+0) AC 16 18/24 PP 10 Darkvision, 2/3 spell slots; Str 15/16
Crimsyn Ledet (+3) AC 15 22/22 PP 11 Darkvision Ready attack

Shadow 1 (+2) AC 12 19/19 PP 10 Darkvision, Faerie Fire 10r (engaged with Alet)
Shadow 2 (+2) AC 12 23/23 PP 10 Darkvision, Faerie Fire 10r (engaged with Mindra)
Shadow 3 (+2) AC 12 17/21 PP 10 Darkvision (engaged with Alet)
Shadow 4 (+2) AC 12 7/16 PP 10 Darkvision, Faerie Fire 10r
Shadow 5 (+2) AC 12 12/17 PP 10 Darkvision (engaged with Crimsyn)
Shadow 6 (+2) AC 12 21/21 PP 10 Darkvision (engaged with Crimsyn)
Shadow 7 (+2) AC 12 17/17 PP 10 Darkvision (engaged with Theremin)
Shadow 8 (+2) AC 12 12/18 PP 10 Darkvision (engaged with Beturea)

Survival:
Marching Order:
Travel Pace:
Travel activity:
Light:

300 gp
Magic spear (unidentified)
 

Lord Twig

Explorer
Mindra lets out a gasp as the shadow reaches through her, but manages to slip away with a twirl as she retreated from the creature. Barely taking time to aim, she smoothly pulled and loosed another arrow which flew straight into the shadow threatening Beturea. She then continued to move, looking for some cover.

OOC: Mindra will use her reaction to Skirmish and move 15' away from the shadow that engaged her. She will then take a shot at the shadow engaged with Beturea.
Shortbow attack with sneak attack: 1D20+7 = [8]+7 = 15
1D6+5+2D6 = [5]+5+[1, 6] = 17


Not sure how well hiding will work against shadows, but Mindra will try. She will use her move action to move to some cover and her bonus action to hide.
Stealth roll: 1D20+9 = [15]+9 = 24
 

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top