• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes of Shadow

Klaus

First Post
My NDA on Heroes of Shadow is almost done, so I'll be able to field questions on the book. I got my copies yesterday, and I'm now familiarizing myself with the changes done during R&D. Feel free to ask away and I'll do my best to answer everything!

captainspud

First Post
1) Why did you give the Vampire so few choices to make? As people have pointed out, you get to choose two powers and a paragon path over the course of an entire playing career. Everything else is on rails. Was it a space constraint, or did you specifically want all Vampires to follow the identical template as a design decision?

2) I know you guys are tired of the beating it's taking, but what the hell happened with the Shade? What was the development path it went through to arrive in the state we got it?

Things I'm happy with don't prompt me to ask questions. Those were my only two major complaints, so I'm curious about the thinking behind them. :)

Insight

Adventurer
My question re: the Vampire

Do you think WotC would be open to Dragon articles to expand what is obviously a fairly limited character selection?

Yeah, although I think there are some pretty interesting concepts in the Vampire I have to admit it does embody some odd choices. It really did beg to be a theme, in which case the lack of choices would be fine. Admittedly it would have needed to go rather outside the typical range of what themes have done so far, but still it just seems terribly limited (though I actually really like the resource bind subgame it invokes, quite interesting).

And yeah, I have to agree with captainspud (et al) about the Shade. I think the HS thing can be fine, but they probably did need a better class power to go with it. Seems like it was ALMOST there, but somehow in the course of the design process something was lost sight of.

Klaus

First Post
1) Why did you give the Vampire so few choices to make? As people have pointed out, you get to choose two powers and a paragon path over the course of an entire playing career. Everything else is on rails. Was it a space constraint, or did you specifically want all Vampires to follow the identical template as a design decision?

2) I know you guys are tired of the beating it's taking, but what the hell happened with the Shade? What was the development path it went through to arrive in the state we got it?

Things I'm happy with don't prompt me to ask questions. Those were my only two major complaints, so I'm curious about the thinking behind them. :)
I didn't work on the vampire, so I can't speak of its design.

I'll speak on the shade tomorrow.

Claudio, what did you buy with the 30 pieces of silver WotC paid you to destroy the game?

How many puppies were killed during playtesting?

Will we get a werewolf class in Heroes of the Feywild?

Where will they publish the mummy class?

/me hasn't read the book yet.

Klaus

First Post
My question re: the Vampire

Do you think WotC would be open to Dragon articles to expand what is obviously a fairly limited character selection?
I can't speak for WotC, but I think the narrow options for the vampire was intentional. The class is a way for a character to showcase his full vampiric might during combat. He's not a "wizard vampire", casting spells and occasionally using vampire powers (that type of character can be achieved with the Vryloka).

If you look at the Buffyverse, there's not much to differentiate Angel, Spike, Darla, or even the Master. Sure, you have the Drusilla with some psychic abilities, but that can be achieved by, say, making her a kalashtar vampire.

That being said, if you can come up with a cool concept for a vampire expansion (by making, say, a pennangalan or hopping bloodline), go for it.

Klaus

First Post
Claudio, what did you buy with the 30 pieces of silver WotC paid you to destroy the game?

3 gp. It weighed less.

How many puppies were killed during playtesting?
A few, but they were promptly reanimated, thanks to a nearby pet sematary.

Will we get a werewolf class in Heroes of the Feywild?
Can't say. THAT NDA is still a long way from expiring.

Where will they publish the mummy class?
The mummy class will probably be of the marital power source, so I'm thinking Heroes of Marriage...

me hasn't read the book yet.
:.-( Bad ewok!

Aegeri

First Post
I would love to know how the original Vryloka racial interacted with the penalty to surge value.

I am also curious as to what on earth went so wrong with the shade. What was the original racial powers action type? Move? I can't really see it being designed initially as a standard action.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm curious about what directives you're given going into a project like this. Are you told things like:

Don't use Themes.

We don't want any _______ source classes in this one.

Don't refer directly to content in any book older than X.

This suplement must be useable by players who have /only/ books X, Y & Z.

Be sure to build on content in Book Y.

?

Or is it more like, "The working title is 'Heroes of Shadow,' GO!"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads