D&D 4E Heroforge plans for 4e

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
Just had an email from the heroforge guys, who were instrumental in creating a truly superb 3.5e character sheet in excel:

Heroforge said:
I would like to take a moment to let everyone know what our plans are for HeroForge™ and the next generation of the D&D rules.

We are currently developing a new version of HeroForge™ using a proprietary platform. This system will allow us to create an executable version that will function fully on Windows, Mac, and Linux systems. Additional software, such as Microsoft Office, will not be necessary to run the next iteration of HeroForge™.

In addition, HeroForge™ is now a trademark under HeroForge Software, LLC, with the following members:

Christopher Mathieu, Operations Manager and Lead Programmer (e-mail)
Robert Daneri, Account and Marketing Manager and Lead Interface Programmer (e-mail)
David Castelli, IT Manager and Lead Database Programmer (e-mail)
Shawn White, Finance Manager (e-mail)
This development is going to be a significant investment in time and resources on our parts, and as a result the 4th-edition HeroForge™ will not be a free product. We plan on providing the program on a demonstration basis, where users can try it with all features available, but after a set period (probably 30 days), some importatnt features will be locked without a paid registration. We are still looking for a proper balance on price, but it will likely be between $20 and $30.

The next version of HeroForge™ will have the same functionality as the current version, as well as implementing features that are difficult or impossible to do in Excel. This means that the 4th-edition version will be just as easy to use, and be just as thorough, as the current version that you know and love.

Kobu

First Post
"...as well as implementing features that are difficult or impossible to do in Excel"

Nothing is impossible in Excel.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I love Heroforge it's been an invaluable aid to my campaign: both for myself and my players. That said:

Eccles said:
The next version of HeroForge™ will have the same functionality as the current version, as well as implementing features that are difficult or impossible to do in Excel. This means that the 4th-edition version will be just as easy to use, and be just as thorough, as the current version that you know and love.

I'm dubious on this front. There will be some serious IP issues if the 4e functionality is anywhere near the 3e functionality (yes there's a GSL but that will not provide for many of the names WoTC is using).

If HeroForge starts charging for the sheet these issues will come up. Especially considering Heroforge will be in direct competition with one of the supposed biggest draws of the DI (the online character generator).

arscott

First Post
This seems like precisely the sort of thing that will get them sued by WotC. Weren't they already on shaky legal ground with their freeware 3e version?

Mercule

Adventurer
arscott said:
This seems like precisely the sort of thing that will get them sued by WotC. Weren't they already on shaky legal ground with their freeware 3e version?

Pretty much. I figured the new GSL (or whatever) would be a death knell for HF. I think HF and PCGen will be specific targets in 4E. If the DI is of high-enough quality, I'm (grudgingly) okay with that. Considering that my understanding of the DI chargen is that it'll be impossible to get the math to work for house rules, and that you can't work disconnected indefinitely, I don't think I'm going to be real happy about the state of 4e software.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Mercule said:
I figured the new GSL (or whatever) would be a death knell for HF.

HF is already violating copyright and doesn't follow the OGL or D20STL.
I'm pretty sure its open, amateur freewheeling murky legal status is why WotC didn't kill it.
This commercial venture? Depends on the GSL.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases