D&D 4E Heroforge plans for 4e

RigaMortus2

First Post
Kobu said:
"...as well as implementing features that are difficult or impossible to do in Excel"

Nothing is impossible in Excel.

Except adding cumulatively. Unless you know how to do this, I don't think it is possible in Excel...

Darkthorne

First Post
RM2,
"Except adding cumulatively" < this. Could you give me an example? I created my own home use version of an excel character sheet for 3.5 which I used mostly formulas for in place of lookup tables in order to save on file size.
Thanks

Darkthorne

First Post
I worked out something for what you may be looking for (an assumption mind you). That being said say you want to add numbers between 3 and 28. Cell a1 is the number 3 and cell b1 if 28. The answer is 403.
The formula is =IF(ISEVEN(B1),B1*(B1/2)+B1/2)-IF(A1-1=1,1,IF(ISEVEN(A1-1),(A1-1)*((A1-1)/2)+(A1-1)/2,(A1-1)*ROUND((A1-1)/2,0)))

I am an Excel Jedi :)

sckeener

First Post
I wish they'd finish all the splat books of 3.5 before they do this....

(cause I don't think they'll be up for long if they compete with DI and do so without following the GSL.)

Belorin

Explorer
They do plan on finishing up all the 3.5 slat books regardless of how the 4.0 version goes.
Seeing the work that these people do and being a part of it as a betatester, I really do feel that they can do what they say they can. They are some very dedicated folks.
One of the benefits of this is that the program will run on a Mac which the DDI version won't.

Bel

Last edited:

Delta

First Post
Darkthorne said:
I worked out something for what you may be looking for (an assumption mind you). That being said say you want to add numbers between 3 and 28. Cell a1 is the number 3 and cell b1 if 28. The answer is 403.
The formula is =IF(ISEVEN(B1),B1*(B1/2)+B1/2)-IF(A1-1=1,1,IF(ISEVEN(A1-1),(A1-1)*((A1-1)/2)+(A1-1)/2,(A1-1)*ROUND((A1-1)/2,0)))

I am an Excel Jedi :)

Um... either I'm missing something huge or you guys are making this overly complicated? The classic Gaussian summation formula for this is just:

= (A1+B1)*(B1-A1+1)/2

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=510243

Greylock

First Post
Charwoman Gene said:
HF is already violating copyright and doesn't follow the OGL or D20STL.
I'm pretty sure its open, amateur freewheeling murky legal status is why WotC didn't kill it.
This commercial venture? Depends on the GSL.

This.

HeroForge deciding to start charging? That's wrong on so many levels. This has always been a free program, from day one, with volunteer involvement, effort and passion.

AZRogue

First Post
I never got the hang of Excel, for the ten minutes I tried, and never really found much use in Excel based character sheets or programs. So, did that announcement in the OP imply that the program wouldn't need that kind of thing? I prefer, usually, .xml programs, though I don't have enough knowledge of what was done and what's current to have an opinion on anything, really.

All I now is that the 2nd Edition Core Rules CD-Rom was the ultimate DnD program and used it, and all the books that it came with, not to mention the Campaign Mapper, for years. Nothing after has come close, in my opinion, not even the E-Tools. I loved that damn program. It let me, as a DM, modify just about everything and I still regret that I lost that program when I moved last. I just want a program that robust.

Festivus

First Post
My only bone to pick with HF was speed. Beyond that it's terrific, and I use it for almost all my chars. Doing it in Access would help the speed tremendously (or MySQL or similar). Making it an executable would make it even faster, but would lose the ability to customize the sheets (which I do now for stuff that isn't in there yet).

It's something I would pay for if they had a 4e version *but* I really doubt they will be able to pull it off, as it directly conflicts with DI. Just like a 4E version of D20SRD would directly conflict with DI. My money is on neither of these coming to light.

Remove ads