D&D 4E Heroforge plans for 4e

Mercule

Adventurer
Charwoman Gene said:
HF is already violating copyright and doesn't follow the OGL or D20STL.
I'm pretty sure its open, amateur freewheeling murky legal status is why WotC didn't kill it.
Absolutely. Sorry if I was unclear -- I think the GSL represents a different thought pattern on IP for 4e. It shows considerable less tolerance to gray implementations. Taking HF commercial definitely makes it "charcoal", at the very least, and "pitch" isn't unreasonable.

My expectation is that any 3rd party software (barring a license) might be able to implement the rules framework for 4e, but the amount of actual data (race, class, spell, etc.) they'll be able to include will be pretty minimal. Most likely, it'll be useless without extensive user-supplied data-entry, which will negate most benefits for the average user.

Actually, I thought WotC had said that there would be a software clause in the GSL. If nothing else, that warrants not making any broad proclamations.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
So wait... they're going to make their program a standalone, multiplatform executable, exactly like PCGen, but they're going to charge money for it?

Riiiiiight...

Andre

First Post
I think this email is the death knell of HeroForge(tm).

It's just too blatant for WOTC to ignore. And to be blunt, I wouldn't blame WOTC at all. The company has been wonderful to all 3E HeroForge fans, ignoring the very questionable legality of the current version, with all the proprietary information it includes. But at some point, if the other guy pushes hard enough, you have to push back.

Unless the GSL specifically allows what HF Software is planning, this is doomed. And announcing it without even seeing the GSL first is just plain silly.

Orcus

First Post
I really hope this works out. I am a HUGE fan and supporter of HeroForge.

I use it for my own personal campaign. It is as important to me as d20srd.org.

Clark

Orcus

First Post
ZombieRoboNinja said:
So wait... they're going to make their program a standalone, multiplatform executable, exactly like PCGen, but they're going to charge money for it?

Riiiiiight...

I happen to think HeroForge is way better than PCGen. I, for one, would pay for it. I really hope this winds up being allowed.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Andre said:
And to be blunt, I wouldn't blame WOTC at all.
Nor would I. Boneheaded.

edit: and I love Heroforge. I would have dropped 3.5 entirely had it not been for Heroforge*.

I just think they're pushing their luck big time here.

* Which says more about 3.5 and myself than it does about Heroforge, now that I think about it.

Last edited:

Moon-Lancer

First Post
yeah, its pretty good. Also on the topic of d20srd.org, i really hope they are able to work the same way they do now only with 4e (and hopefully 3.5e will still be made available on d20srd.org)

Mercule

Adventurer
Orcus said:
I happen to think HeroForge is way better than PCGen. I, for one, would pay for it. I really hope this winds up being allowed.
In general, yes. The major weakness being house rules and hacked characters.

Belorin

Explorer
As a regular member of the HeroForge list and part time beta tester I have seen most of these issues raised there since the announcement went out.
Legal issues with Wotc;
the principal developers are in talks with WotC concerning their status.
Pricing;
this is still being discussed and might not be available till the legal issues are addressed.
Platform;
the 4E version will be a new built from the ground-up executable, work continues on the 3.5 version as the group is trying to incorperate the final WotC core offerings, the remaining settings, DL & Ravenloft. And third party support for Pathfinder. This product will continue to be free. There may be an executable 3.5 version later on.

Bel

Remove ads