Level Up (A5E) Heroism and Eldritch Whip Synergy

I just noticed a little interesting synergy that a level 1 party (or level 2 character) could create:
  • Eldritch whip says that if you already have temp hp you can burn them to deal half that amount as additional damage. It does not specify that those hp must come from a previous Eldritch whip, so any temp hp work.
  • Heroism gives temp hp every round, equal to caster spellcasting ability multiplier.
  • The loop then is: have heroism cast on the character that can do EW, who gets those extra hp at the beginning of his round and can already deal extra damage. If EW deals damage, he get some temp HP. At the next round he also gains temp hp from Heroism, but can choose which to keep, so it's going to be the highest between the damage scored the previous round, or this round's worth of heroism.
  • This can be further empowered by the Noxious Invigoration invocation (which can be gained at level 2), which doubles temp hp

I know it's a tiny thing and not a crazy build, but I really love these simple yet effective synergies

VenerableBede

Adventurer
I am so accustomed to completely ignoring Noxious Invigoration that I completely forgot that it buffs Eldritch Whip. Not an incredible buff, but if I somehow have an open Invocation and I'm using Eldritch Whip then I'll definitely take something over nothing.

Also, it's a good thing that Noxious Invigoration is only ever able to buff Eldritch Whip's temporary hit point gain once per turn, but imagine if it did the buff per-hit...

drast35

First Post
I am so accustomed to completely ignoring Noxious Invigoration that I completely forgot that it buffs Eldritch Whip. Not an incredible buff, but if I somehow have an open Invocation and I'm using Eldritch Whip then I'll definitely take something over nothing.

Also, it's a good thing that Noxious Invigoration is only ever able to buff Eldritch Whip's temporary hit point gain once per turn, but imagine if it did the buff per-hit...
Isn't it every hit? There is no per turn limit.

drast35

First Post

Isn't it every hit? There is no per turn limit.

Remove ads