D&D General Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan complaint

When I ran it (and the party actually arrived inside by a portal--so had no idea of the directions), it was with a map in Roll20. I think what I did was just say that we will pretend that up on the map is north for purposes of communication. When they emerged to where they could see the sun (and so they weren't in it worrying about communication), they could mentally reorient it as a footnote.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
When I ran it (and the party actually arrived inside by a portal--so had no idea of the directions), it was with a map in Roll20. I think what I did was just say that we will pretend that up on the map is north for purposes of communication. When they emerged to where they could see the sun (and so they weren't in it worrying about communication), they could mentally reorient it as a footnote.
I do the same; if they're blipped in to somewhere we just assign an arbitrary "north" until-unless knowledge of actual north over-rides it. That said, lodestones are relatively common and cheap in my setting and are useful gear for adventurers to have, so it doesn't usually take long for them to figure out which way is north.

When they come in from outside they in theory already know which way north is; and in any case I expect them to be mapping.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
When I ran it the party fell into a shaft fleeing a tyrannosaurus rex worshiped as a benevolent god by a community of vegepygmies, who being made of plant matter, were of no interest to the carnivore. The last thing they saw as they plummeted into the dark, was crowds of the plant-people who lived outside the ziggurat-like temple cheering from the sidelines.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I talked with some people from other nations. Most remember their Geography books having their nation in the center.
Obligatory XKCD call out:

bad_map_projection_madagascator.png

When I look at camping maps, there's usually a compass that indicates North. It's not always the top of the map, which is fine by me as long it keeps me from getting lost in the woods.

Remove ads