D&D 5E Hide in Plain Sight retool

The ranger's Hide in Plain Sight is weird and janky. I think most people are on the same page about this. WotC replaces it pretty much every time they do anything to modify the ranger. My thought is: why not just have it do what it says in the name?

Starting at 10th level, you can spend 1 minute creating camouflage for yourself. You must have access to fresh mud, dirt, plants, soot, and other naturally occurring materials with which to create your camouflage.
When in a natural environment that corresponds to your camouflage, you can attempt to hide even when you are not obscured. Each time you do so after the first, you take a cumulative -5 penalty on your Dexterity (Stealth) check to hide in this way. The penalty resets when you recamouflage yourself.

Alongside Vanish, the ranger can probably achieve mundane "invisibility" as a bonus action once or twice per encounter. That's pretty good, I think. Is it too good?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Once or twice per encounter? Yeah, that seems like a lot. From a non-mechanics standpoint I just don't see the Ranger having time to construct camo during a melee, regardless of penalties. I don't see a problem with invisibility assuming prep time though, as a general mechanic. If the ranger has time to get leafy or whatever he's invisible until he moves or attacks. Something like that. I wouldn't even be overly strict about what materials were necessary.

Inanity

Explorer
The ranger's Hide in Plain Sight is weird and janky. I think most people are on the same page about this. WotC replaces it pretty much every time they do anything to modify the ranger. My thought is: why not just have it do what it says in the name?

Starting at 10th level, you can spend 1 minute creating camouflage for yourself. You must have access to fresh mud, dirt, plants, soot, and other naturally occurring materials with which to create your camouflage.
When in a natural environment that corresponds to your camouflage, you can attempt to hide even when you are not obscured. Each time you do so after the first, you take a cumulative -5 penalty on your Dexterity (Stealth) check to hide in this way. The penalty resets when you recamouflage yourself.

Alongside Vanish, the ranger can probably achieve mundane "invisibility" as a bonus action once or twice per encounter. That's pretty good, I think. Is it too good?

I dont find it OP. invisibility for what 1 round? 2/day or 1/day invis until end of next turn is NOT OP. I mean invisibility only confers advantage/disadvantage (enemie you go invis in front of during combat still PERCEIVE you (or at least can unless you make a stealth check; which this abiility WOULDNT ALLOW; I think; edit OR it would allow a stealth check but I guess at a severe penalty if used in consecutive rounds?)... NOTE: a stealth check requires an action.

Quartz

Hero

Yes. It should be an outside-the-encounter - well, outside combat - power. Think of someone in a gillie suit. Remember that the ranger must remain stock still; they cannot move.

And remember that you only roll when the result is in doubt. A ranger trying it in the middle of combat is going to auto-fail in most cases.

Yes. It should be an outside-the-encounter - well, outside combat - power. Think of someone in a gillie suit. Remember that the ranger must remain stock still; they cannot move.

And remember that you only roll when the result is in doubt. A ranger trying it in the middle of combat is going to auto-fail in most cases.
I think you've mistaken my intention. You are explaining how the current ability works; I am proposing replacing it.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I say, if it supposed to be like a ghillie suit, make it on
It's a level 10 ability.

Personally, I say that the camouflage should last until you do something that could remove it. It is physically on you so you could be able to move with it on as long as you only take the Hide action to maintain the disguise.

If you have the leaves and snow and mud on your armor, moving doesn't remove all of it. You should be able to take a hide action to put the pieces that fall of back on.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I say, if it supposed to be like a ghillie suit, make it on
It's a level 10 ability.

Personally, I say that the camouflage should last until you do something that could remove it. It is physically on you so you could be able to move with it on as long as you only take the Hide action to maintain the disguise.

If you have the leaves and snow and mud on your armor, moving doesn't remove all of it. You should be able to take a hide action to put the pieces that fall of back on.
I’d just make it a non-spell pass without trace.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I’d just make it a non-spell pass without trace.

Nah. I'd do this. Changes in bold.

Hide in Plain Sight

Once you are camouflaged in this way, you can try to hide by pressing yourself up against a solid surface, such as a tree, wall, or the ground, that is at least as tall and wide as you are. You gain a +10 bonus to Dexterity (Stealth) checks as long as you remain there without moving over half your speed or taking actions other than the Hide action. Once you move over half your speed or take an action or a reaction other than the Hide action, you must camouflage yourself again to gain this benefit.

Vanish

Starting at 14th level, you can use the Hide action as a bonus action on your turn. Also, you can’t be tracked by nonmagical means, unless you choose to leave a trail.

In addition, you may take and action and spend a spell slot of the 2nd level or higher to create camuiflage for your Hide in Plain Sight class feature. You must be in your favored terrain to use this class feature.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Vanish is already that, though. Without the blanket +10 bonus to Stealth checks, admittedly, but that's probably busted as a class feature (it's pretty busted even as a spell), so I assume it's not what you were referring to.
That’s exactly what I’m referring to. The Ranger should have something powerful at that level, not a janky mess of a feature that will almost never get used.

So, they and any creature under their control can gain a +10 bonus to stealth for a set duration, X/day. Probably also the ability to hide while only lightly obscured.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases