D&D 5E High-level no-save spells in practice

If that's so, why can't you "legendary resistance" a critical hit from a Rogue or Paladin?
BBEGs and similarly threatening creatures aren't trivialised by a bit of extra damage on a single occasion.
Legendary resistance isn't there to reduce fireball damage by a little either.
It is to prevent trivialising of the encounter by removing the creature as a viable threat due to a disabling spell.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
BBEGs and similarly threatening creatures aren't trivialised by a bit of extra damage on a single occasion.
Legendary resistance isn't there to reduce fireball damage by a little either.
It is to prevent trivialising of the encounter by removing the creature as a viable threat due to a disabling spell.
I once "trivialized" an encounter by having my Sorcerer polymorph himself into a Giant Ape, then roll a natural 20 when throwing a rock. 14d6+6 damage later, the major NPC was dead and the DM was glaring at me. I was level 7, lol.

I'm not saying LR should negate attacks, I'm just curious if, as Li Shenron asserts, legendary resistance is meant to avoid the case when an encounter is supposed to be amazing (usually implying it's not over too quickly) but is trivialized by a single event, why it only defends against saving throws.

As for the necro, Paul and Mort, when a thread pops up in my feed, I don't tend to check post dates, and I tend to respond to posts as I read them, not finish the thread.

Clint_L

Hero
If you the DM started ruling arbitrarily what could and couldn't fit inside a Force Cage, instead of using the standard square system, I'd quit your game.
Edited: didn't see it was an epic necro. Suffice to say I strongly disagree with the sentiment expressed above.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Edited: didn't see it was an epic necro. Suffice to say I strongly disagree with the sentiment expressed above.

The funny thing about this in 5e is that the grid is an optional variant rule.

The default is theatre of the mind and creatures take up as much space as the DM says they do using size categories as guidelines.

It is rather silly to say a giant can't be taller than 20' and that is reflected in the rules.

I’ve ended encounters with a single cast of forcecage - but 1 there was only one (somewhat dangerous) enemy 2 we could just sail away and complete our goal (it wasn’t actually blocking us or the objective itself) and 3 that’s a valuable slot burned on a moderately difficult encounter (we probably could have killed it without a high level slot but burning a lot of other resources).

In other words, it would only be a problem if that was the only encounter for the day.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
It's not "good fortune" when a enemy needs a 17 to succeed but only rolls a 14, that's the expected outcome.

Anyway, critical hits only do about 2X the damage of a normal hit. If your Boss can go down from 2 hits, maybe it wasn't actually a Boss?
It depends on what your normal hit is doing. If you're most characters, yeah, it's an extra die. Not really impressive. If you got a bunch of d6's or d8's tacked onto it, however, 60-70 damage out of nowhere can turn a fight right around.

Anyways, again, I'm not advocating for it, I just find it interesting that the designers are like "oh man, we totally need a mechanic beyond good saves, advantage on saves, resistances and immunities to deal with spellcasters, because there's no way a martial could ever make a challenging encounter implode!".

Remove ads