D&D General High level spells requiring more time to get recovered

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
I don't know if casting spells should cost fatigue points , but perhaps spells recovery could use a chart like this :
SL = spell level
FP = fatigue points expenditure
RT = recovery time

SL/FP ===> RT
1/1 =====> 1 minute
2/2 =====> 5 minutes
3/3 =====> 1/4 hour
4/4 =====> 1 hour
5/5 =====> 3 hours
6/6 =====> 8 hours
7/7 =====> 1 day
8/8 =====> 3 days
9/9 =====> 1 week

Laurefindel

Legend
that’s not a bad idea. I don’t mind wizards casting Wish. I do mind wizards casting wish over and over again every day after a mere 8 hours and 10 minutes of rest/study. Settings with lots of high-level casters (such as FR) make more sense if their spells require more time to refresh.

Not sure if I like the idea of both fatigue points AND recovery time together, but both concept are intriguing.

5e already makes a somewhat arbitrary distinction between spells 1-5th level and spells 6-9th; I’d be tempted to use those two categories for ease of use. That or the four character level tiers (tier 1, 1st-2nd level spells; tier 2, 3rd-5th; tier 3, 6th-8th; tier 4, 9th-level spells).

Quartz

Hero
I don't know if casting spells should cost fatigue points ,

Some years ago I suggested that spellcasters should recover some spells - up to their Proficiency Bonus -1 for full spellcasters - on a Short Rest and 1 spell per spell level on a long rest. The base number of low level spells got halved. So you just restrict the number of long rests that the spellcasters get. Just like Fighters & Warlocks.

Remove ads