• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Historical roles : most important factor?

Kahuna Burger

First Post
On a (non-enworld) discussion of The Rock's upcoming movies, including one about the first king of all the Hawaiian islands, there was a complaint that he was ethnicly unfit to play Kamehameha. The Rock is (iirc) half black and half Samoan, and the complainer felt the King should be played by a Hawaiian Islander. My initial reaction was that Dwanye is probably as close as any "name" actor in holywood to looking like a native hawaiian, and the movie probably wouldn't get made with an unknown but ethnicly correct actor in the title role.

But it got me thinking. In portraying a historical figure (or a fictional one with a very strongly established physical apearance) is physical similarity as or more important than other factors? Star power, acting ability, personal dedication to the project.... What's most important?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
It's really something of a minefield. You can see studios wanting a known quantity, someone with star power, for their film regardless of whether he fits the role or not (and with the Rock being part Samoan (a Polynesian people), he's not a horrible fit for a native Hawai'ian (another Polynesian people)).

But then, when it comes to playing certain roles that are bound up in feelings of nationalism or national identity, expect trouble from some quarter. Look at Memoirs of a Geisha and the flap it has caused. The Japanese are irritated that the lead female roles are not played by Japanese actors, many Chinese are irritated that Zhang Ziyi is playing in it because of Japan's brutality to the Chinese during WWII, and so on. Any story involving Hawai'ian nationality is going to be controversial among native Hawai'ians.

Personally, I think reasonably close and the actor being properly respectful is close enough. I'm more concerned about them capturing the essence of the character and the times in the film.

IcyCool

First Post
I personally think that Dwayne as Kamehameha has definite kick-butt potential. He's proven he's got some acting ability, and a movie like that might just allow him to show it off. Or show that he's only got some acting ability. That's a gamble I'd take, were I a studio exec.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
billd91 said:
It's really something of a minefield. You can see studios wanting a known quantity, someone with star power, for their film regardless of whether he fits the role or not (and with the Rock being part Samoan (a Polynesian people), he's not a horrible fit for a native Hawai'ian (another Polynesian people)).

that was my first thought as well. I have no idea how physically divergent the different pacific islanders are, so its impossible for me to say how big a deal it would be to a native islander.

But then, when it comes to playing certain roles that are bound up in feelings of nationalism or national identity, expect trouble from some quarter. Look at Memoirs of a Geisha and the flap it has caused. The Japanese are irritated that the lead female roles are not played by Japanese actors, many Chinese are irritated that Zhang Ziyi is playing in it because of Japan's brutality to the Chinese during WWII, and so on. Any story involving Hawai'ian nationality is going to be controversial among native Hawai'ians.

I have to admit, I'm surprised that they would have chinese actresses playing geisha in a film that much about the japanese culture and that time period... I mean, my impression has been that while your average american looks at either and just says "Asian" that for someone who grew up in the culture the racial differences are pretty obvious. So political inflamation aside, I'd think it would make it look almost silly when it goes to asian markets (which I'd assume to be fairly big secondary markets.)

Personally, I think reasonably close and the actor being properly respectful is close enough. I'm more concerned about them capturing the essence of the character and the times in the film.
on those criterion, I think the Rock has it tied up. ;)

Ranger REG

Explorer
Well, I can't speak for the Native Hawaiians here, but having Dwayne Johnson pitching for a film that may not be made if there weren't any star power attached to it is a good thing. The film production of course better hold auditions in Hawaii so Hawaiians here can be a part of the process.

It also needs to be tastefully done, and not turn into an action blockbuster.

In addition to billd91 post, there was a brouhaha over the casting of a Puerto Rican to portray a late Tejano singer Selena.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Ranger REG said:
In addition to billd91 post, there was a brouhaha over the casting of a Puerto Rican to portray a late Tejano singer Selena.
For poor "ethnic" casting outside of a specific historical portrayal, the hubby just reminded me of Short circuit where a white american actor played an over the top Indian character. But you can get away with more in a comedy obviously. ;)

I'm also reminded of an episode of Designing Womem where the beauty queen felt that a movie about MLK jr should star the best actor available, in black face if white. :uhoh:

Dark Jezter

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
For poor "ethnic" casting outside of a specific historical portrayal, the hubby just reminded me of Short circuit where a white american actor played an over the top Indian character. But you can get away with more in a comedy obviously. ;)

I'm also reminded of an episode of Designing Womem where the beauty queen felt that a movie about MLK jr should star the best actor available, in black face if white. :uhoh:
My favorite ethnic miscasting ever: In the movie The Conquerer, John Wayne plays Genghis Khan.

No, I'm not making that up. :lol:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I want to see actors who at least bear some resemblance to their role.

I want to see characters that have been researched and a screenplay that is informed as to the subject. (Two movies that ticked me off in that regard - the Three Musketeers killin of Richelieu (sp?) a man who died at a great old age for the time, and Name of the Rose, where they killed off Inquisitor Gui. Apparently neither screenwriter could be bothered to find out that these were actual people...) I want to find out something new, be able to look it up, and find out that the screewriter was right! (The Knight's Tale amazed me that way, full of (deliberate) flying purple anachronisms, yet these little tiny details that are dead right.)

It ain't that hard to crack open a history book.

The Auld Grump

Remove ads