D&D General [History] How heavy armors and long swords were used in the 15th century

reelo

Hero
Once plate evolved into the full suite (like in the video) shields became pretty much obsolete for knights. "Can-openers" and zweihänder became all the rage.

Dioltach

Legend
Looks like swords were pretty much incidental to the whole thing. Mostly it's armoured wrestling. (But of course "King Arthur and the Wrestlers of the Round Table" doesn't have the same ring. Not to mention where that leaves Excalibur.)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Looks like swords were pretty much incidental to the whole thing. Mostly it's armoured wrestling. (But of course "King Arthur and the Wrestlers of the Round Table" doesn't have the same ring. Not to mention where that leaves Excalibur.)
Pretty much. Swords are all but useless against plate armor, so it’s mostly wrestling and trying to find a gap between the plates you can shove something pointy in.

Oofta

Legend
Yeah, I have seen several such videos online. That is why not having DEX mod for heavy armor is dumb IMO.

Using D&D rules though, shove/knock prone is countered by strength not dex. But then that gets into the whole "what is dex" question ... and nope. Not going there.

At least we know you can't possibly swim in armor. Well unless you're this old guy. Which admittedly is swimming in chain (wearing a helmet, carrying a shield and ax) but in D&D qualifies as heavy. Whether you could swim in plate ... that's open to debate. It comes up so rarely in my campaigns I've decided I don't care to impose yet another needless penalty on non-dex based PCs.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yeah, I have seen several such videos online. That is why not having DEX mod for heavy armor is dumb IMO.
That’s about game balance rather than realism. If it needs an explanation, you can say that heavy armor doesn’t add Dex not because it’s difficult to move in, but because it’s protective enough that being agile doesn’t meaningfully improve your chances of avoiding harm in it. I mean, look at the way the dude in the video just stands there and tanks that big golf swing from the sword. I think it might have actually been more tiring to bother trying to dodge that than to just take it.

GlassJaw

Hero
Wow that's crazy!!

I'm certainly no historian but I know there are a lot of inaccuracies in commonly held fantasy beliefs. That said, that video kind of blew my mind! It's like Judo in armor. I was also shocked to see that they didn't swing their swords at all and instead used them like spears.

So obviously D&D combat mechanics aren't a realistic representation of actual medieval combat. So my question is, are (or were) there any RPG systems that are more simulationist? Not sure I want to play a system like that per se but it's definitely sparked my curiosity.

Remove ads