History, Mythology, Art and RPGs

Galloglaich

First Post
You forgot John Dee...

John Dee 13 July 1527 – 1608 or 1609 AD (81 or 81) was a noted mathematician, astronomer, astrologer, occultist, and consultant to Queen Elizabeth I. He also devoted much of his life to the study of alchemy, divination, and Hermetic philosophy.

John Dee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah he is a good one. Fascinating character. I barely scratched the surface of Renaissance Magic, Mnemonics or Alchemy, I want to do some posts on that soon.

G.

Galloglaich

First Post
Ok here I'm going to post an article on military history I wrote which I thought could serve here as a little introduction into a particularly interesting region of Europe (Bohemia), which could possibly provide fodder for Historical or quasi-Historical campaigns in DnD or other games (it would be a natural for Warhammer FRPG) or you might find some adventure hooks or other useful ideas.

This is an overview of two major events in the development of the politics and culture of this interesting region of Europe which I believe played a special role in the development of the European Martial arts.

Mongol Invasions 1241 AD

_41873410_ap_helmet416.jpg

Very very few people seem to be aware of this, but during the famous Mongol invasion of Europe in the 13th century, after defeating the Poles and Teutonic Knights at Leigneitz on their way to defeat the Hungarians at Sajo river, the Mongols tangled with the Bohemians ... and lost.

Wikipedia said:
In 1241 Wenceslaus successfully repelled a raid on Bohemia by forces serving under Batu Khan and Subutai of the Mongol Empire as part of the Mongol invasion of Europe. The Mongols did not sent their main army to the Kingdom of Poland, Bohemia and Silesia and only Moravia suffered devastation at their hands. The raids into these four areas were led by Baidar, Kadan and Orda Khan with a force of around 20,000 Mongols. Following the Mongol victory at the Battle of Legnica, Wenceslaus fell back to gather reinforcements from Thuringia and Saxony, but was overtaken by the Mongol vanguard at Kłodzko. However, the Bohemian cavalry easily fended off the Mongol detachment. As Baidar and Kadan's orders had been to serve as a diversion, they turned away from Bohemia and Poland and went southward to join Batu and Subutai, who had crushed the Hungarians at the Battle of Mohi.

Wenceslaus I of Bohemia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

culture-mongol385_343339a.jpg

The importance of this "raid" by 20,000 Mongol warriors on European, German or Mongol history can be debated, but it's importance on the Czechs and Bohemia is undeniable. Prominent among the many reasons why vast zones of Eastern Europe, Central Asia and the Middle East lag behind Western Europe on many levels was being sacked by the Mongol hordes. This is not something you recover from overnight, a proper Mongol sacking wasn't the ordinary garden variety rape and pillage you might get from mere Goths or Vandals or Saracens... the Mongols routinely systematically depopulated the regions they conquered, and in many cases methodically burned and dismantled towns (including several famous libraries), filled in wells with rubble, tore down bridges, even broke up terracing on hills... All in the spirit of jolly old Ghengiz Khan, who abhorred cities and felt the world should be made into one great Steppe.

Escaping this fate was a macrohistorical event for this region.

Hussite Wars 1420-1434

The next key event was the Hussite Wars. Again, something of a sidebar in European History, apparently, but of immense importance in this region. Statues of the principle figures still prominent in places like Prague the way those of Washington and Jefferson are in the United States.

Hussite Wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hussite Wars, 1420-1434

In a nutshell, the Bohemians had a kind of mini Protestant reformation 100 years early. It started with a heresy based on the teachings of the English theologian John Wycliffe. In this time after the death of their King the Bohemians were facing the annexation of their nation by the HRE and the Catholic Church and the elimination of their traditional autonomy, and the region was in turmoil.

That is when Jan Hus sort of a Ghandi type, translated the bible into the vernacular, preached a new radical doctrine of equal justice (symbolized by giving the laity the right to drink wine at Communion, which lead to the goblet appearing on the Hussite flag) and quite strange for this time, (but not for this region) equality for women.

Jan Hus said:
“ Women were made in the image of God and should fear no man”
setting the stage for women to preach at Hussite services and participate in governing councils, not to mention fight beside their men in battle.

Jan_Hus_at_the_Stake.jpg

He was invited to discuss these statements at a theological conference in Germany where he was promptly burned at the stake*. This led to a massive uprising back in Bohemia and a famous “defenestration” (a nice way of saying a lot of Bishops and Lords were marched up to the tops of towers and church steeples and thrown out of windows) in Prague, Pilsen and other towns. There was a nasty ethnic side to this religious conflict, and atrocities were also committed against ethnic Germans in some regions, though many sided with the Czechs, notably in the larger cities.

cz-ta-ta.gif

cz-ta_ta.gif

They created a new full blown heresy based on the teachings of Jan Hus which came to be called “Hussites”

Battle_of_Pavia_-_WC.jpg

This prompted the Pope to call a Crusade, which was quickly answered by armies from across Europe, eager to pillage the rich region of Bohemia and gain remittances in the process.

449px-Zizka_tabor_statue.jpg

Normally a crusading army on the way to assault and ravage your homeland would be cause for serious concern, but the Bohemians had this guy Jan Ziska a badass Clint Eastwood type dude with a patch over one eye who liked to carry a mace. Ziska helped them organize and develop new battle tactics based on their traditional weapons (which may have some significance for HEMA and the Federfechter) Among the innovations of the Hussites:

-Pioneering the use of both firearms and artillery (including inventing new pieces such as the pistol and the hook gun, as well as various forms of single and multi-barreled cannons)

Hussite_Wars.jpg

-Pioneering the use of sophisticated wagonberg tactics, integrating infantry, artillery, and mobile fortresses made of wagons which could be chained together for mutual defense

Wagon fort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

featuring the enhanced systematic use of handgonnes / hand culverins

DSC00944.jpg

and articulated clubs / flails wielded by peasants skilled in threshing (including Women)

Hussites_crusaders.jpg

Thus fortified for battle, the Hussites met the foreign onslaught and smashed the large international Crusading army which invaded Bohemia, and did the same to every other which followed,

...and then went on a number of rampages through Germany, even reaching the Baltic where they allegedly performed some kind of weird pagan ceremony.

Finally radical wings of the Hussites, the “Taborites” (who made their own new utopian city Tabor which remains a largely intact 15th century city)

Tabor_prefRes.jpg

...and the radicals lead in some cases by dangerous demagogues, split off from the main group and tried to establish the new order, leading to civil wars among the Hussites. Ziska sided with the radical Taborites and defeated the Aristocrats and the city of Prague, but each time the Crusaders returned the two sides patched up their differences and joined ranks against the enemies. Finally, Ziska died in 1424, having never lost a battle.

There were several more attempted invasions in the next few years, all of which ended in victory by the Hussites under their new leader Prokop the Great. In the end the Vatican and the HRE cut a deal with the moderates (called Ultraquists) and together they broke the power of the radicals (who called themselves the "Orphans" since the death of their hero Ziska), thus achieving nominal suzerainty over the area, but Bohemia retained their de-facto independence and maintained it's own religious and practices until well after the Protestant Reformation, into the 17th Century in some zones. Which trust me had a lot of consequences on how the place developed and what it is like to this day.

cesky-krumlov-castle.jpg

G.

* But he may not continue to burn in hell forever though, the Vatican is reconsidering his case:
Vatican reconsidering view on Jan Hus - Bohemian reformer | Christian Century | Find Articles at BNET

Last edited:

Jack7

First Post
Gall, since my family, at least as far as I can tell from what I think was the original derivation of my surname, seems to have originated on the border region between Saxony and Bohemia (indeed I suspect my middle name is Bohemian in origin) I found this entry to be especially interesting.

Keep up the good work my good man.

Your posts are always fascinating and useful.

Coincidentally, I've been thinking about having the Basilegate and the Caerkara undertake some missions in Europe and one of the places I really want them to explore is Bohemia (because of my own ancestral ties). I've also been thinking on matters of Heirlooms, Legacies, and Inheritances.

So if you know of any practices, or famous incidents involving heirlooms, legacies, or inheritances in Bohemia or the surrounding area, then I'd like to see a write up on it. It wouldn't have to be time-frame specific in relation to Constantinople, just something to give my some new ideas for writing up new adventures, missions, and scenarios. That is if you have the time and know of anything interesting.

I also very much enjoyed the entries on Jan Hus (my kids and I recently finished both a book and film on Wycliffe, mainly about his efforts to translate the Bible into English, and I know of John Huss through his religious reforms), and on Jan Ziska. By the way the type of Mace the statue of Ziska shows him carrying, that is my favorite kind of mace design.

I'm also very much intrigued with the idea of Tabor as a Utopian City. I'm thinking about using this idea for the establishment and development of a new international city on Ghantik which will even include some humans from Avalon and the Isle of Wight.

Anyway, very good post.

Thanks,

Jack.

Choranzanus

Explorer
On the topic of Zizka: that was really an interesting guy. He became a brigand after a powerful noble family of Rosenbergs in southern Bohemia killed his wife and impoverished him, but somehow he later obtained a pardon from king and even became a bodyguard of queen. He had a large sword wound over his face from an age of ten, so his face was entirely deformed and he was very ugly. Most of the statues show Zizka carrying a mace, but it is more a symbol of rank than a favourite weapon. Earliest depictions of him show him carrying a warhammer (thought warhammer is often considered a kind of mace, same difference).

Galloglaich

First Post
On the topic of Zizka: that was really an interesting guy. He became a brigand after a powerful noble family of Rosenbergs in southern Bohemia killed his wife and impoverished him, but somehow he later obtained a pardon from king and even became a bodyguard of queen. He had a large sword wound over his face from an age of ten, so his face was entirely deformed and he was very ugly. Most of the statues show Zizka carrying a mace, but it is more a symbol of rank than a favourite weapon. Earliest depictions of him show him carrying a warhammer (thought warhammer is often considered a kind of mace, same difference).

Wow that is really interesting choranzanus, I didn't know that part of his personal history. Somebody really needs to do a modern movie of his life, he is such an incredible guy, (I know there was some done in Czechoslakia in the 70's.? but more people need to see this)

I've been watching a lot of Czech and Polish films lately, particularly the series based on Henryk Sienkiewicz, the films Ogniem i mieczem and Potop (these names translate to "The Deluge" and "With Fire and Sword"). These are the only modern films I've seen which portray European Martial arts as realistically as Kirosawa does Japanese Martial arts. The saber duel in the Deluge is one of the all time classics of film, as good as the best swashbuckler fencing of the 30's and 40's. I've been fencing for 10 years and I can tell you, this is a fantastic fight on a number of levels (enough to make me forgive the inevitable conversation at the bind :p ):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx_vLz-DXjs"]YouTube - sabre duel[/ame]

Ogniem i mieczem also has some battle scenes where the Cossacks are using Hussite style war-wagons against Polish Winged Hussars, which is fascinating to watch (not to mention Cossack slavic dancing and totally insane horse tricks)

There is this other terrific Polish film set in the 9th Century called Stara Barsn ("The old Fairy Tale"), but I only have it in Polish (I can't find it with subtitles) so I don't understand what anybody is saying. You can follow the plot though easily enough.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYwdiUPFRCg"]YouTube - Stara Baśń - Arkona - Po Syroi Zemle[/ame]

It's got real norse and slavic gods, realistic early medieval communities (who don't look like cavemen), even without understanding a word anybody says (except the occasional 'thank you' which is the only word I know in Polish) it's one of the best DnD type films I have ever seen (although admittedly that isn't saying much.. and the fencing was pretty bad, nothing like The Deluge sadly :) ).

I wish we could get more people to see this kind of stuff in the US I think it would revive interest in History.

G.

Last edited:

Galloglaich

First Post
The Hussite wagons were really clever: sloped walls, gun ports, ammunition caches. Absolutely fascinating military technology.

Indeed. It's interesting, the more I read about European military history, the more I find out how much was pioneered in areas like this. The Old Swiss Confederacy for example invented the Halberd and later the pike, and all the sophisticated tactics which went with them, as a result of the attempted invasions by the Hapsburgs who were trying to conquer their land basically the same way as with the Crusaders in Bohemia. Similar with the Flemish Godendag at Golden Spurs as well. In all three zones they also made leaps and bounds in the development of firearms and cannon, and siege warfare technology.

I remember reading about a ship -mine used by the (Flemish) United Provinces to break a Spanish seige I think in the 16th Century. It was essentially a shaped charge, an Italian engineer helped them put it toether, they put heavy gravestones on the deck and in the bilges so the blast (and rubble they had put in for shrapnel) would be concentrated horizontally, it was astoundingly effective. They killed several hundred Spanish troops who were blocking the river in one fell swoop.

EDIT: I found a link to this story, it was a seige of Antwerp:

The development of mine warfare: a ... - Google Books

The Venetian Republic ruled the Med largely from the simple innovation of using paid crews instead of chained up slaves on their war galleys.

G.

Galloglaich

First Post
Gall, since my family, at least as far as I can tell from what I think was the original derivation of my surname, seems to have originated on the border region between Saxony and Bohemia (indeed I suspect my middle name is Bohemian in origin) I found this entry to be especially interesting.

Keep up the good work my good man.

Your posts are always fascinating and useful.

Coincidentally, I've been thinking about having the Basilegate and the Caerkara undertake some missions in Europe and one of the places I really want them to explore is Bohemia (because of my own ancestral ties). I've also been thinking on matters of Heirlooms, Legacies, and Inheritances.

So if you know of any practices, or famous incidents involving heirlooms, legacies, or inheritances in Bohemia or the surrounding area, then I'd like to see a write up on it. It wouldn't have to be time-frame specific in relation to Constantinople, just something to give my some new ideas for writing up new adventures, missions, and scenarios. That is if you have the time and know of anything interesting.

I also very much enjoyed the entries on Jan Hus (my kids and I recently finished both a book and film on Wycliffe, mainly about his efforts to translate the Bible into English, and I know of John Huss through his religious reforms), and on Jan Ziska. By the way the type of Mace the statue of Ziska shows him carrying, that is my favorite kind of mace design.

I'm also very much intrigued with the idea of Tabor as a Utopian City. I'm thinking about using this idea for the establishment and development of a new international city on Ghantik which will even include some humans from Avalon and the Isle of Wight.

Anyway, very good post.

Thanks,

Jack.

Thanks Jack much appreciated, I was looking at some of your stuff, quite a well developed campaign world, a far cry from Eberron!

I highly recommend visiting Czech Republic, it's one of the most beautiful places in Europe, so much of the architecture from the 15th century is still remaining, and I found the people there wonderful.

Regarding Jan Hus et al, yes it's fascinating, as are all these radical millinarian heresies which were active in this period. You might find some of these links interesting as well:

Taborite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Adamites - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beguines and Beghards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Picards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brethren of the Free Spirit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...and of course the Albigensian Crusade which you are probably very familiar with.

At the very least, fodder for some interesting NPC groups, and related political / religious drama for your campaign. These folks were a thorn in the side of religous authority for a long time in Europe.

G.

Remove ads