• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

History, Mythology, Art and RPGs

Galloglaich

First Post
Many of them (the swords used in the Kirosawa) are also curved, while many European blade were not.

On the surface that statement is true, but of course you probably know it's also a bit misleading because 'many' European swords were actually curved ... including some of the principle weapons in the 15th and 16th Century manuals HEMA people study, like the grossemesser which is quite similar to a Japanese sword...

Landsknecht_with_Kriegsmesser_1500%27s.jpg
Knecht-3.jpg

messer2.jpg

and the Dussack which is smaller and a bit more characteristically European with the knucklebow
dussack1.jpg

Last edited:

Galloglaich

First Post
Pagan folk metal

So I hope this isn't too off-topic for an RPG forum, I think it is related... you can be the judge. There is a new genre of pagan folk metal which seems to be merging the heavy metal scene in Europe with the re-enactor scene there in some interesting ways. I think it may be the hidden reason for how hard core those russian re-enactors are in some of the clips I posted of them upthread.

I think some of these bands may be controversial in some ways in their own countries, so I'm posting these with the caveat that I do not either condone or oppose pagan religion, slavic nationalism, turning into a viking, or playing the electric guitar while in a lightning storm in mail armor. I just find the videos and in some cases the music, entertaining.

So far this is the craziest one I've found. The scene in there at about 1 minute in when all the re-enactors start fighting is seriously nuts. The 'cookie monster voice' singer is a lady, named Masha

YouTube - ARKONA - Pokrovi Nebesnogo Startsa

Here is another from the same band, this one has the priceless scene of a heavy metal band playing in a viking ship in the middle of a hurricane

YouTube - ARKONA - Goi, Rode, Goi! (Official)

This is a Swedish band which also has Vikings in a boat

YouTube - Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thunder God

They have taken the impressive step of inviting re-enactors to fight on stage at their live shows

YouTube - Amon Amarth [LIVE] - Amon Amarth

This is a Polish band, here doing some pagan folk metal

YouTube - Percival Schuttenbach - Pani Pana - Reakcja Poga?ska pagan-folk-metal

and here jumping the barrier into pure folk, but with an intriguing sound that still kind of reminds me of metal. With some nice re-enactor outfits in the videos.

YouTube - Percival - Jomsborg viking and slavic music

Finally, a band from the faeroes Islands, a bit slower but plenty of re-enactor combat in there

YouTube - Týr - Regin Smiður

From a gaming and pop culture perspective, I particularly like these videos because they usually have much, much more historically accurate clothing, armor, weapons and other gear than you ever see on say, the history channel. This is because the bands are linked with the hard-core layer of Euro-re-enactors. The bands inspire the re-enactors to greater passion, the re-enactors provide context and authenticity for the bands. And all the while audiences around the world are exposed to history in a direct passionate way. I think it's a win- win.

G.

Last edited:

Galloglaich

First Post
Here is that National Geographic show they did on Talhoffer

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESZGWiHBbv4"]YouTube - National Geographic - Medieval Fight Book - Part 1-4[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wwILFEN-sg"]YouTube - National Geographic - Medieval Fight Book - Part 2-4[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=852OWMNYSu8"]YouTube - National Geographic - Medieval Fight Book - Part 3-4[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on0HTC93llI"]YouTube - National Geographic - Medieval Fight Book - Part 4-4[/ame]

Last edited:

Matthew_

First Post
Yeah whenever I watch an old Kirosawa Samurai movie, the ones from the 50's where they still have the realistic fencing, I feel on completely familiar territory, it's like watching a HEMA tournament. Same guards, same cuts. The only real differences are from the physical design properties of the sword, two edges. vs. one, having the cross etc.
Have you seen Rashomon? The differing accounts of the duel fought there are great, and draw a very amusing contrast with one another.

Galloglaich

First Post
Have you seen Rashomon? The differing accounts of the duel fought there are great, and draw a very amusing contrast with one another.

Oh yes, of course. It's considered his best film. The whole idea of telling the story different ways from different points of view is brilliant, copied recently in that movie about facebook.

I just saw Hidden fortress for the first time, there are some really great mass combat scenes in there, a bunch of prisoners escaping and overunning these arquebusiers on some steps... fantastic. I love Kirosawa. He is the best director of sword fighting movies hands down.

G.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
That could actually work quite well for a siege.

It could make the defenders not care about actual defense,
and cause food stores to be used up more rapidly (munching).:p

Matthew_

First Post
Oh yes, of course. It's considered his best film. The whole idea of telling the story different ways from different points of view is brilliant, copied recently in that movie about facebook.

I just saw Hidden fortress for the first time, there are some really great mass combat scenes in there, a bunch of prisoners escaping and overunning these arquebusiers on some steps... fantastic. I love Kirosawa. He is the best director of sword fighting movies hands down.
Great films, indeed. I think that my introduction to Kurosawa was about ten years ago via half of Rashomon, partially recorded one night off Channel 4. Shortly after that I borrowed Seven Samurai from the university library, and after that Ran, which I think exhausted the meagre collection there. I saw Kagemusha on television a while later, and ended up buying the BFI (British Film Institute) DVD issues of Hidden Fortress, Sanjuro, Yojimbo, Throne of Blood, Seven Samurai, and Rashomon. Excellent buys, each one, which reminds me I should see if they ever got round to issuing versions of Kagemusha and Ran...

Galloglaich

First Post
Another good HEMA promo vid, not very high speed but a well done and a particulalry convincing demonstration of a lot of good unarmed techniques.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX-C-zlvypk[/ame]

Remove ads