• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hit multiple targets with full attack

Sharkon

First Post
Suppose i play a fighter lvl 6 who has 2 attacks,has taken the feat Cleave and faces 2 enemies. Am i allowed to do my 1st attack on one target and the 2ond on the other ? If yes, and i kill my first target with the first attack but not the second can i take the extra attack from the cleave on the remainiding foe ?

Starbuck_II

First Post
Suppose i play a fighter lvl 6 who has 2 attacks,has taken the feat Cleave and faces 2 enemies. Am i allowed to do my 1st attack on one target and the 2ond on the other ? If yes, and i kill my first target with the first attack but not the second can i take the extra attack from the cleave on the remainiding foe ?

As long as they are legal targets (in range, etc): you can choose who to attack in whichever order you desire.

thedmstrikes

Explorer
Just to add to Starbuck_II's reply, that will include your decision for the cleave attempt. As in your example, you face two different foes, both within reach at the beginning of your turn. After attacking and resolving the attack on the first foe, it is incapacitated. Your cleave feat activates automatically, so you can use it on the second foe. The answer is the same, if you had spent both attacks on the first foe before it went down.

I must point out that cleave has the limitation of not even allowing you to take a five foot step before activating it's opportunity in 3.5. You would need improved or greater cleave to do that, but I forget which off the top of my head, but google can help you with that if you need it.

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
I must point out that cleave has the limitation of not even allowing you to take a five foot step before activating it's opportunity in 3.5. You would need improved or greater cleave to do that, but I forget which off the top of my head, but google can help you with that if you need it.
Supreme Cleave is what lets you take a 5' adjustment before taking a cleave IIRC. It is an ability a few PRCs give out.

Runestar

First Post
Also note that you don't have to commit beforehand which targets you want to attack.

For example, say you had intended to attack twice on the same foe. But your 1st attack results in a lucky crit which kills him immediately. You can then make your 2nd attack on another foe (in addition to the cleave attack). You can make a 5-ft move in between attacks, but not before the cleave.

DarkelvenSFi

First Post
I think I read/heard somewhere that you don't have to take your attacks in any order either. Say you had BAB of +15/+10/+5, you could take your +5 against the orc in front of you, hoping to finish him off easily, use your supreme cleave to take that 5' step to bring you close enough to a hill giant, then you can take your +15 attack with a power attack of +5, followed by your last attack of +10.

Mind.. I've not actually seen the ruling on this matter, so I may be spreading misinformation (unintentionally) :p

Something to think about anyhow.

Vegepygmy

First Post
I think I read/heard somewhere that you don't have to take your attacks in any order either. Say you had BAB of +15/+10/+5, you could take your +5 against the orc in front of you, hoping to finish him off easily, use your supreme cleave to take that 5' step to bring you close enough to a hill giant, then you can take your +15 attack with a power attack of +5, followed by your last attack of +10.
No, that would have to be a house rule. PHB, page 143:

"If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest."

DarkelvenSFi

First Post
No, that would have to be a house rule. PHB, page 143:

"If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest."
Thanks for the response. I was thinking about letting the players get away with the option.. but now I wont :)

Remove ads