D&D 5E Hit Point Maximum and Exhaustion

bid

First Post
Another for #1.

Aid explicitly mention both.

At the end of a long rest, you'd both recover from exhaustion and regain all lost hp. Unless you force the wrong order, you'd get both.

This only leaves greater restoration that only mentions max hp. This one requires further healing.

aco175

Legend
Now, what would happen if the character with 100hp was damaged to 75hp before taking 4 levels of exhaustion? His HP maximum would be 50, but he is at 75 current. Would the extra 25 disappear, remain until damaged, or be treated as temp HP.

I would be tempted to have them disappear since the exhaustion would most likely come from environmental effects and be from fatigue.

Harzel

Adventurer
Now, what would happen if the character with 100hp was damaged to 75hp before taking 4 levels of exhaustion? His HP maximum would be 50, but he is at 75 current. Would the extra 25 disappear, remain until damaged, or be treated as temp HP.

I would be tempted to have them disappear since the exhaustion would most likely come from environmental effects and be from fatigue.

RAW current hit points cannot exceed hit point maximum, so they have to disappear unless you wish to house rule otherwise.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing

This very question came up in the same discussion as the one in my original post, and we pretty much agreed on the "temporary hit points" interpretation.

However, we both and forgotten the bit about how current hit points can't exceed maximum hit points. Of course, temporary hit points do just that, so hmm. . .

Li Shenron

Legend

I have them disappear, and not regained if exhaustion is removed:

75/100 > exhaustion > 50/50 > exhaustion removed > 50/100

schnee

First Post
I have them disappear, and not regained if exhaustion is removed:

75/100 > exhaustion > 50/50 > exhaustion removed > 50/100

As harsh as that is, I think it's the right interpretation, due to the complexity of bookkeeping of tracking that previous HP amount as a 'hidden variable' behind the temporary exhaustion amount.

It would mean, 'I took 6 more damage, that means I'm at 44 now, 69 after exhaustion lifts'. I'd expect that kind of complication in AD&D, but not in Basic or 5E.

Remove ads