• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Hit Points] What method do you use to determine HP after level 1?

What method do you use to determine HP after level 1?

• The players picks 1dX or the class average and keeps using the same method every level.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • The player can freely choose between 1dX or class average at every level.

Votes: 37 30.8%
  • The player rolls 1dX if he doesn't get at least average he takes class average as the result.

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • Other method, explain in the thread.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • Players uses random rolls only

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Players uses average only

Votes: 40 33.3%

Laurefindel

Legend
I tend to take average as a player, and give the choice to my players when I DM. In one game, we allowed a minimum on the Hit Die roll equal to the character's CON modifier. Until we get a 20 Con wizard that comletely breaks the average, it has worked ok...

TBH, I long for a way to add a bit of variance without the full range of the HD. Perhaps one dice category lower + 2? (e.g. 1d8 + Con becomes 1d6+2 + Con)

Arilyn

Hero
We use average, ever since my paladin way back in 3e days rolled a 1 for hp several levels in a row. My GM felt so bad for my poor paladin, he just threw him some extra hps. No digs about paladins deserving it.😂 My paladin was down to earth and friendly. His mount was a mule.

In the 5e game, I'm currently in, each player made a choice regarding the method and stuck with it (out of habit, I personally always roll).
If I were to run a new game (in any edition), I would probably adopt Whitehack's method to roll all hit dice on each level up and the result of the roll if its higher than the current HP value.

Wulffolk

Explorer
The variant that I have used in the past is d4 + X, with X being the difference between the HD size and 4.

d4 = d4
d6 = d4 + 2
d8 = d4 + 4
d10 = d4 + 6
d12 = d4 + 8

I do like the idea of just rolling with advantage, perhaps re-rolling 1’s

Wulffolk

Explorer
Just an untested idea here, but what about rolling HP after each long rest? Some days you are just better than others, more focused or luckier. On the low HP days the character might feel more cautious and on high HP days they could afford to be more daring. The group might need to adjust tactics around the “fitness” of certain members of the group, giving other characters a chance to step up and shine.

Remove ads