D&D 5E [Hit Points] What method do you use to determine HP after level 1?

What method do you use to determine HP after level 1?

• The players picks 1dX or the class average and keeps using the same method every level.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • The player can freely choose between 1dX or class average at every level.

Votes: 37 30.8%
  • The player rolls 1dX if he doesn't get at least average he takes class average as the result.

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • Other method, explain in the thread.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • Players uses random rolls only

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Players uses average only

Votes: 40 33.3%

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
I was discussing this elsewhere and it seems not everyone is using the same method. Which is yours? This is not a discussion about what BTB is. It's a discussion about what methods individual groups have adopted.

Edit: I've added two more choices in the poll.

Results after 102 votes (July 4th):
UuXSZk7.png

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I picked other. The method we have been using is max hit points at level 1. At levels 2+, you roll hit points. If you roll low on your hit die(1-2 on d6, 1-3 on d8, etc.), you have to roll high on the next level. This gets you around average. Too average for my liking. This next campaign we're going to try rolling hit points with advantage at levels 2+ and see how we like that method.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
I picked other. The method we have been using is max hit points at level 1. At levels 2+, you roll hit points. If you roll low on your hit die(1-2 on d6, 1-3 on d8, etc.), you have to roll high on the next level. This gets you around average. Too average for my liking. This next campaign we're going to try rolling hit points with advantage at levels 2+ and see how we like that method.
Advantage? You roll two of the same die and take the best? Sounds fun.

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
Generally I'm all for averages, since it makes things much easier if the character needs to be redone for some reason (for example, if the player forgot their sheet), but that's pretty much only reason I prefer that. In someone else's game, I'll roll with the rest of the table.

Remove ads