[Hivemind] We taunt you with our outrageous accents!

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Continuing the Hiver of the Day Hall of Fame! (with descriptions continuing to be stolen verbatim from Tallarn's "Meet the Hivemind")

Carnifex (last Saturday) Another UK Hiveminder, and member of the Planescaping Triad, but beyond that I don't know that much about him. Any suggestions? Sorry mate, it's just getting a little difficult to write for everyone...UPDATE: Well, now I know more about him. He's a talented and creative RPGer, running and playing in several games.

Randomling (last Sunday) One of the victims of the GNOME, so her avatar is presently unavailable. [Edit: Ah here it is!] One of the few females in the Hivemind, she thinks we're all wonderful. Which is nice. One of the newer Hiveminders, but has more than made up for it in sheer posting ability, topping 1000 posts already. UPDATE: Created a whole new set of forums for us to run around in! Randomlings House is a wonderful place where the Hivemind now tend to play. Randomling has also become known occasionally as the Wombat Goddess, and is also deeply involved in various online games.

Tallok (last Monday)An incredible posting rate in his early days, he's calmed down a bit now. Much younger than the majority of us, but shows surprising interest in some subjects, such as Surrealism.

Carnifex

First Post
Silver Moon said:
Carnifex (last Saturday) Another UK Hiveminder, and member of the Planescaping Triad, but beyond that I don't know that much about him. Any suggestions? Sorry mate, it's just getting a little difficult to write for everyone...UPDATE: Well, now I know more about him. He's a talented and creative RPGer, running and playing in several games.

I should probably ask him to update with 'and also writes stuff' :)

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Carnifex said:
I should probably ask him to update with 'and also writes stuff' :)
Indeed. He might want to add in a few others too, as yesterday and today's "Hiver of the Day" don't even have descriptions for the "Hall of Fame".

Don't worry though, the committe will just randomly copy descriptions of famous people to use for them instead. We figure a 19th Century U.S. President's biograpahy might work for Steve Jung, and we'll probably borrow a biography for a 1950's academy award winning actor to use for Angcuru. :D

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Ewww. That makes me so thankful for only having to drive 40 minutes to my parents' house.

I have to admit, I've gotten out of practice of the 20-28 hour car drives, though I can still drive for 6 hour stretches. I don't feel it till I'm out of the car. Then it's like the energy drains out of me.

Dungannon

First Post
Ao the Overkitty said:
As for Piers Anthony, his books are good no brainers. Incarnations of Immortaility were the first fantasy novels I read (and am currently brainstorming a campaign in that setting). Xanth was fun, but I stopped reading it around the 20th book in the series. I enjoyed Biography of a Space Tyrant and the Adept series.
Bio of a Space Tyrant is quite simply my favorite sci-fi series ever. When I was just out of high school I had a conversation with a friend about our favorite authors. When I offered Piers as one of mine he scoffed and said that Piers was a "children's" and "fluff fantasy" writer (he had only read the Xanth stuff). I loaned him my copy of Refugee and he promply changed his outlook.

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
I had borrowed the Incarnations of Immortality when I read them the first time. Now that my girlfriend started picking them up after hearing me rave about the series, I've been swiping them from her to reread them. I'll probably have to go back and reread Biography of a Space Tyrant next. Thankfully, I still own that and the Adept series in entirety. I have, however, sold almost all of my Xanth collection back to the used book store (I think I still have a couple of them buried in the bookshelf).

After i finished Bio's fifth book, I kept thinking, 'he's GOT to write a sixth book, to tell the sister's tale'.

Since we're talking about a 10 year stretch, I don't remember everything from the books. It is surprising what I still remember. Shows the kind of impact they had on me. They certainly kept me reading fantasy and scifi.

I call them no brainers mostly cause they don't tax my mind while I'm reading. Not necessarily unpredictable, but fun nonetheless.

Dungannon

First Post
What got me the most was the way he overlayed the political climate of the 80's over the Solar System in the future and reworked some of history's biggest issues into the story, like the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
See, this is why I think I need to go through and reread those books. With IoI, I'm picking up on things I didn't as a teenager so I figure it will be the same for the others.

I do remember finding the political structuring of the planets to be interesting, but I don't remember why.

Dungannon

First Post
If I recall correctly, the various continents on Earth parcelled out the planets amongst themselves along the following lines, Europe got Venus, India got Earth, Africa got Mars, the South Pacific got the asteroid belt, North & South America got Jupiter and its moons, Asia got Saturn, with Japan getting Titan, Australia got Neptune I believe and Antarctica got Pluto. Don't remember who got Mercury or Uranus, though.

And Vol. 6, The Iron Maiden was published in 2002. Haven't read it yet, though.

Remove ads