• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Hold Back The Night [OOC]

Jago

Explorer
I'm going to have to go with Male Human Fighter, because I need that feat to make dual wielding doable per my vision. It gives him the extra +1 to AC that he could have gotten from Defense, and also makes up for not using a shield, and it's the only way to use two longswords. I actually see him as using two falcions, and the picture I've always seen him use is this

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...FJ1SQ1DEH3gaXFbqkpbLZySw&ust=1483471934178993

Just retextured longswords, really, but I don't want to use scimitars.

With 27 point buy, I'll likely do a spread like this:

Str: 15
Dex: 10
Con: 13
Int: 14
Wis: 8
Cha: 12

The extra human points are obviously going to Strength and Constitution.

The high strength and constitution is because of his training. The intelligence is natural, and because of his career before his family's death. I think he was a sage, going with the "Disgraced Academic" version. Someone many people looked up to. His wisdom is low because what happened to his family impacted his judgement, and not to min-max. He was always slightly absent minded. Oblivious, but very intellectual, as per the Investigation skill instead of Insight or Perception. The extra Charisma is mainly for intimidation.

Skills would include Athletics, Intimidation, Arcana and History (from Sage Background), adding in Investigation as his extra human skill.

I like where you're going with this, the idea of an intellectual who turned to the sword in the aftermath of great tragedy, especially the concept of someone people looked up to but now laud as a drunk and a failure (seeing as you're going with Disgraced Academic), that's pretty interesting for a Fighter.

I like interesting.

ok, here's my concept: Aasimar Revenant . I'm sticking with my idea of a "blade" like character, that fights Magi and their minions instead of vampires.

Backstory: There was a time when Valarian was happy. He remembered that much. He had a wife, three children, and had close ties with the sun god, the all mighty bringer of light. Sure times were tough, but he had his duties as a cleric, and enjoyed bringing hope to the people of the city. He never listened to the whispers about the omens of his birth, and it didn't matter that he had been raised by other faithful, never having known his lineage. He had been happy, and had known love. For his wife, for his children, for the people of the City that he cared for.

This was until the Magi came into his life. He only remembers bits. His friends, his wife, his children. All tortured in front of him. The process took a long time. They tried to siphon his life force, a cruel and painful process. Then there was darkness. But the darkness didn't last. He awoke, naked, in an abandoned section of the city. His body was intact, but it seemed only moments ago there were many wounds, many scars. He didn't remember anything at first, who he was, and where he was. Then, the memories came slowly back: the loss of his family, his friends, the other clerics bring light and hope to others. The pain was unbearable. Almost, but there was much to be done. Revenge; relentless revenge. His anger soared, and yet, he was serene with this desire for vengeance.

The connection to the god of light was still there, but very different and strange. He knew the Magi must pay, and he would fight with every single ounce of strength he had.

Class: I'm thinking Kensei monk, or ranger (hopefully, the Revised Ranger is allowed).

While I like the idea of the background, I'd like to clarify that I'm not using UA Options, including the Kensai Archetype. With that said, I much prefer the Revised Ranger to what's in the book, so that I would be okay with as an exception to the rule. I am also okay with the Revenant Background so long as Valarian's returning memories help him connect to The City and its struggles: Vengeance is good, but even Batman and Rorschach tried to put the Heroics ahead of the Rage.

Imagining Acolyte as a Background here, for someone so connected to a religion before his fall from grace?

Some ideas, but nothing that really jumps up- and it looks like there is plenty of competition for those spots.

I shall be lurking, I guess.

Feel free to shoot in an idea if your lurking strikes inspiration!

One thing I'd like that is always hard to do in D&D is having roots. I want to play someone in their late-30s who owns a business in the city. Constantly being shaken down for protection money, worrying that their staff will do something stupid that gets him in trouble, has to deal with the cops always nosing around, has an elder child who can run the business when he's not around but otherwise is there most of the time. It's a bar, so he's well known to local constabulary (such as it is). It was his father's bar, and his grandfather's bar. He is known in the local community for keeping to himself and staying out of trouble.

He's also a sorcerer and he keeps that a secret.

If you like, I'll create a character out of that.

I do like the idea of someone being firmly entrenched in a neighborhood of The City. That alone has plenty of story and setpiece ideas out of it. If you've got a background for this beyond the concept, let me hear it.

Just to clarify, seeing as the PCs are generally going to be the only ones with access to Magic outside of the baddies (for reasons the characters may or may not understand), classes with outright magical abilities should definitely keep that fact hidden, lest The Magi drag you to a Tower for a very interesting conversation.

What a great pitch! I'm in, if you're looking for a final player. :)

"Oppenheimer's Apprentice" a.k.a. The Curmudgeon
A curmudgeonly gnomish tinker with a heart of gold, a guilty conscience, and unflappably bleak humor.

QL, good to see you interested, mate!

So, loving the history and background. Like, holy hells mate, the entire idea of Fitz contributing heartily to something he wasn't aware of the implications of, that is exceedingly, awesomely dark. As noted before, the concept of magic is heavily controlled and suppressed by The Magi, but the idea of The Magi recruiting and gathering rather clever folks or those with latent magical energy to use them for their own purposes is certainly very fitting.

I love it. Very cool.

Mechanics: Rock Gnome / 2nd level Wizard (transmuter OR artificer if allowed) / Lawful Good

1. Is the Unearthed Arcana artificer allowed? It can make potions & scrolls. If not, I'm thinking a transmuter fits as a close second.

2. Pretty please, may I have rolled stats? You're welcome to roll them to make sure it's fair. I just really like the randomness as an idea springboard, and I think some abysmal, extreme, or middling scores would suit this character better than point buy / standard array.

3. I'm still figuring out which background to take, but I'm wondering if we could ad lib a feature that might correspond to "Construct/Engineering Knowledge of The City." For example, it might give him a network of rock gnomes he can learn about various golems or infrastructure from, maybe allowing him to learn passwords to bypass certain constructs or acquiring illicit control rods which allow him to deactivate/de-berserk a berserk golem. That sort of stuff.

1. So! As stated above to other players, I'm going to shy away from UA stuff. Transmuter Wizard definitely fits the concept of an Engineer Mage, though.

2. Hm ... I generally prefer Point Buy, buuuut I may be open to rolls if everyone else is okay with rolls. But I'd prefer everyone go with the same system: you either all Point Buy or you all Roll, there is no mix-and-match. For rolling, I would prefer 4d6 drop the lowest.

3. Sounds like we can kinda combine the Urchin and Guild Artisan Features to make something like what you're asking for. City Engineer or the like, with a feature that gives those fellow engineering contacts to get insider info on construction projects or golem manufactorums and the like. Yeah, I think we can figure that out.

Shayuri

First Post
I'm thinking of being a former minion as well, perhaps...I might be the PC who held you back.

Shucks, no UA...I was thinking Mystic would be fun.

I will take a peeeeeeek at other options!

Last edited:

I do like the idea of someone being firmly entrenched in a neighborhood of The City. That alone has plenty of story and setpiece ideas out of it. If you've got a background for this beyond the concept, let me hear it.
I just wish there were other origins beside draconic ancestory and wild magic. I don't think either fit correctly. I have this idea for Gorgon Ancestry that, since we aren't expected to live very long won't get to the interesting stuff. But you don't want even UA stuff, so that's probably WAY out.

Just to clarify, seeing as the PCs are generally going to be the only ones with access to Magic outside of the baddies (for reasons the characters may or may not understand), classes with outright magical abilities should definitely keep that fact hidden, lest The Magi drag you to a Tower for a very interesting conversation.
Figured as much. How do clerics work? I'm guessing the carrying the local equivalent of Pelor's holy symbol is suicidal.

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
With UA options out, there goes at least one of my possible ideas- the 'golem' (ie. warforged) which may have developed free will and a conscience (by accident? by design? or is the free will an illusion, and it is actually a deep-cover agent of the Magi?)(inspired, of course, by K2-S0).

Fenris

Adventurer
Jago,
In our bleak,magocratic, dystopian past....
Are arms and armor allowed on the street, and what is the general legality and enforcement of such items?

Remove ads