D&D 5E Homebrew “Bonded Companion” feat

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, I think 5e could use a feat to gain a companion, not as powerful as a BM pet or as versatile as a Chain familiar, but satisfying and worth giving up +2 on a stat or one of the stronger feats.

reasoning for how to build:
I figure the best power comparison is going to be feats that grant spells. The ones that give specific spells are a bit more powerful thanMagic Initiate, and given the developers comments, that’s because they are more specific. Since they curate the exact spell, they can be a little more free with the power of those spells.

Design goals:
Use the newer model of critter * Use the newer model of critter
* Scale in a simple way, prolly using prof bonus
* Provide options for scouting, light combat support, and even a skill-helper like the familiar should be

ideas so far:

Basic competence should keep up with the PCs, so proficiency and hit dice should go up. No damage scaling, I don’t think. Idk. Cantrips scale, but...🤷‍♂️

Should these Have a theme, like “Fey beasts” or Valenar Companions, or Greater Familiars, or be generic in theme?

has anyone already done this in the style of the new critters, like the UA Druid Fire spirit and ranger beasts, and the artificer defender?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
By new model of critter, you mean scaling by proficiency modifier and increasing hit points per level?

If you used most of the verbiage of find steed, allowed for it to be cast once per long rest, and used a model like the wildfire spirit for the actual creature, would that be roughly in line with what you were looking for?

doctorbadwolf

By new model of critter, you mean scaling by proficiency modifier and increasing hit points per level?

If you used most of the verbiage of find steed, allowed for it to be cast once per long rest, and used a model like the wildfire spirit for the actual creature, would that be roughly in line with what you were looking for?
Yeah, my original idea was to basically use Find Steed as a basis, but open it up to other creatures. I’m also considering just making it a ritual or something instead, though.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I'd probably base it off find steed. I'm always happy to use an existing template rather than reinventing the wheel. Maybe change the verbiage on spell targeting to "if within 5' " or some such instead of "while mounted..." Also, it doesn't say anything about needing a bonus action to command either, so that's cool. Would you allow the companion to use the help action to grant advantage in combat? I'm guessing yes, which is really strong. Maybe limit it to 1/day? That way it's not just, essentially, free advantage all the time.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Good point.
Just as a point of comparison, one of my characters is a homebrew class that gets find steed as an at-will spell, and it’s been entirely unnoticeable. The horse has died a total of one time, and that was before a long rest. I suppose a really annoying party could abuse the at-will Mount as a trap finder, but who plays like that?

doctorbadwolf

Just as a point of comparison, one of my characters is a homebrew class that gets find steed as an at-will spell, and it’s been entirely unnoticeable. The horse has died a total of one time, and that was before a long rest. I suppose a really annoying party could abuse the at-will Mount as a trap finder, but who plays like that?

Indeed. I don’t believe in planning for such players when designing game elements.
So, basically, mix find steed with find familiar, and use the stat block style of the steel defender and fire spirit.

I might also work out a downtime activity that lets you improve a pet in some ways, regardless of what sort of pet they are. Probably 1/level, taking a significant amount of time, gain things like a skill proficiency, better attack (worded in a way that it’s only useful for critters with a weak attack), etc.

Remove ads