D&D 5E Homebrew Assassin v4-ish?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Okay!

Here is the most recent version.

Shrouds are long rest, with the ability to regain all of them as a ten minute ritual (that can be done as part of a short rest) once per long rest.

Named all the Shadow Moves, made Preternatural Parry into one, and Deadly Riposte now replaces Extra Attack at level 5. IT costs a shroud to use DR as part of the same reaction as PP.

Cleaned up some language, killed some extraneous features and moved some high level stuff down to make room for Epic Destiny at level 20.

Removed all the crit fishing stuff, but I do want to bring that back in some way. The class needs to be rewarded for taking the time to fully set up a strike. Shroud, vulnerable, hidden. Like, what if shroud brings the damage dice, vulnerable brings easier crits, and hidden or surprised brings a third element like double the Lethal threshold or something. Obv hidden and surprised already bring advantage, which helps the crit happen, but something just feels missing if I am not being rewarded as an assassin for setting up the perfect shot.

Maybe Vulnerable, hidden, surprised, shrouded, studied per the stalker ability, all come together to a really big crit range? Like if you've got 2 of those, it's 19-20. 3 makes it 18-20. 4 makes it 17-20. All 5 makes it 15+. This would only work at higher than 5th level, with multiclassing, if at all.

I want deadly riposte to be able to spend a shroud and deal shroud damage against a creature that didn't have a shroud on it, and really get that "enemy attacks, I'm ready, I kill the enemy" vibe, but I don't know that I can quite pull it off. Maybe I'll find a home for that in the Guild of The Peryton.

The "study for so long and get benefits" feature is now 1/LR but you can get it back if you merc the target while it's in effect, or an ally does it in your presence. It also takes 1 hour to get the benefit for 24 hours.

Death's Messenger moved to 13

I don't like Lethal Efficiency. I wrote it in a flurry, and didn't bother to check average monster HP values that you face at that level. The point is to increase the threshold of Lethal a noticeable amount, but tbh there isn't any need to. Ganking anyone who drops to 17 or fewer HP from your attack is gratifying. Maybe add int mod like before, maybe replace this with something actually interesting or an upgrade to a different feature.

Anyway I'd love to get feedback on this current draft!

Attachments

• assassassin.pdf
    6.9 MB · Views: 54

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
@Dontaniez and @Blue I’m very curious what you think of the current build?

Particularly dropping extra attack and instead making it so you can attack more reliably as a reaction.

I still feel that it needs an extra reward for setting up the perfect strike instead of just going full tilt every round without any strategy, now that the crit range stuff is finally gone.

I’ve considered

Lethal only coming on when you have advantage

Shrouds start at d6 and rising if you are hidden or they are vulnerable, going up to d10 only when they’re vulnerable and you’re hidden.

I’m not in love with either.

Remove ads