D&D 5E Homebrew Spell Review!

You can use your reaction, when any creature or object within the maze is the target of a spell or magical ability that requires an attack roll or saving throw, to try to trap the mind of interlopers in the maze. The triggering creature, as well as any creature who targets a creature or object within the maze with a spell or magical ability before the start of your next turn, must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be blinded. A blinded creature makes an additional save at the end of their turns, ending the effect on a success.
Am I reading this correctly? This blinds creatures that are not actually in the maze? And after it is activated, it might blind a party member healing another party member.
  • You can use your reaction, when any creature within the maze takes acid, cold, fire, thunder, lightning, or force damage, to grant all creatures within the maze resistance to that damage type until the end of the current turn. Then, all designated creatures within the maze gain 1d6+3 temporary hit points.
    Does the resistance reduce the damage of the effect that dealt the initial damage?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Am I reading this correctly? This blinds creatures that are not actually in the maze? And after it is activated, it might blind a party member healing another party member.
  • Does the resistance reduce the damage of the effect that dealt the initial damage?
Is this meant to be feedback on wording?

Is this meant to be feedback on wording?
More a query of the intent of the spell. The fluff sounds like you're setting up an area within which enemies can get mentally lost. The rules make it sound like a more of a fort that lashes out at attackers, whether its someone inside or someone who shot an arrow at one of the inhabitants from a distance away.

I would assume that as a reaction, the resistance would be applied to the triggering damage. I wanted to confirm that that was the intent.

doctorbadwolf

More a query of the intent of the spell. The fluff sounds like you're setting up an area within which enemies can get mentally lost. The rules make it sound like a more of a fort that lashes out at attackers, whether its someone inside or someone who shot an arrow at one of the inhabitants from a distance away.

I would assume that as a reaction, the resistance would be applied to the triggering damage. I wanted to confirm that that was the intent.
Ah, okay.

Yes I need to add language that clarifies that the damage absorption applies to the triggering damage.

The mental trap affects people inside the maze, and people who attack into the maze with magical abilities or spells. Arrows or rocks or polearms don’t trigger the save.

doctorbadwolf

Ah, okay.

Yes I need to add language that clarifies that the damage absorption applies to the triggering damage.

The mental trap affects people inside the maze, and people who attack into the maze with magical abilities or spells. Arrows or rocks or polearms don’t trigger the save.
Also the intent is that only effects that deal damage or force a save trigger it.

Remove ads