• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Homebrew] Sword Dancer Ranger (or what if a bullfighter had magic?)

Jonathan Alvear

First Post
Okay. I've played around with Monk subclasses. This will be my first Ranger one. I chose Ranger because I couldn't come up with anything remotely unique using another class (I'm looking at you, Rogue [yeah, I know, you could do something very Matador-like with a Swashbuckler]).

Full disclosure: I used the XGtE Rangers as a model and built it on D&D Beyond. Unfortunately can't publish, since it links to licensed content. Also, this subclass is VERY loosely based on bullfighting. Was just inspiration, really.

It's a bit fiddly, but I'd like to know what you think.

Sword Dancer Ranger

As a Sword Dancer, you prefer head-to-head combat to skirting the shadows and striking from a distance. As such, you are equally at home in cities and in the wilds, and you are known as much for your guile and skills as you are for your martial abilities. Sword Dancers employ capes or cloaks that both identify their lineage and define their style of combat as based in subterfuge and grace. While a Sword Dancer may employ strategy to keep quarry from escaping, s/he will boldly confront that prey once battle has commenced.

Sword Dancer Magic

Starting at 3rd level, you learn an additional spell when you reach certain levels in this class, as shown in the Sword Dancer Spells table. The spell counts as a ranger spell for you, but it doesn’t count against the number of ranger spells you know.

Sword Dancer Spells

RANGER LEVELSPELL
3rdcompelled duel
5thmirror image
9thslow
13thstaggering smite
17thhold monster

Suerte de Capote

At 3rd level, you gain the ability to manipulate your cape/cloak to confuse would-be attackers. You gain proficiency in Sleight of Hand if you do not already have it. In addition, you can, as a bonus action, make a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check against creatures you can see that aren't incapacitated, contested by the targets' Wisdom (Insight) check(s). If you succeed, the targets have disadvantage when attacking you. You must have a hand free to manipulate your cape. You can affect a number of creatures equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of 1) with this ability. This effect lasts until the beginning of your next turn.

Paso Verónica

At 7th level, when an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to halve the attack’s damage against you. You must have a hand free to manipulate your cape in order to activate this ability.

Estocada de Muerte

At 11th level, you gain the ability to weave attacks into your cape movements. When a creature under the effect of your Suerte de Capote misses you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the creature. If you hit, you deal an extra 1d8 of the weapon's damage type to the target. When you reach 15th level in this class, you gain an additional reaction specific to this feature. In other words, you may react to two separate attacks from creatures under the effect of your Suerte de Capote.

Suerte de Muleta

At 15th level, your mastery of your cape reaches supernatural levels. The number of creatures you can affect with your Suerte de Capote doubles, and your cape faintly emits a dark red glow whenever you use that feature. In addition, if you make a melee attack against a creature, you can move up to half your speed following that attack (in addition to your regular movement). This additional movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Remove ads