• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Honeymarsh Academy (D&D3.5) Chapter 2

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Seeker, who has been silent thus far, whips out his longbow and knocks an arrow. Well, this is it. "Arvin, how many of them are there?" He draws a bead on the Redcap and lets fly his arrow!

"Watch your step everyone, there could be anything down there!"

OOC:
Draw weapon (comp. longbow +1)
Fire weapon (+5 attack R4, 1d8+4 damage; do I get a +1 attack from having higher ground?)
Swift Action: Aura (Motivate Care, +1 AC)

Kohbiel

First Post
Alek, Githyanki Warmage

*Alek grins manicly as he moves to the edge of the ravine, deciding what would be the best course for taking down the 'caps. He slightly shakes his head in pity of the mobing fey. His hands move in eldritch patterns as a spell begins to take shape*

"tsk tsk, more cronies to the slaughter like moths to the flame. Come then!"

[sblock]Alek will move to the upper edge of the ravine and attempt a magic missle at the closest of the redcaps. If all stay out of proper distance by the time it's his turn, delay at the edge until the rest of the group get their way over the ravine. Again the damage for mm is 2d4+5[/sblock]

AmorFati

First Post
Kytheria

Again? One almost made us off last time, and now there are four? Oh well, We will live if the Light wants it.

Moving as far as she is able before entering the ravine, Kytheria shouts out for Pelor. "Pelor! In this time of need, grant us the power and speed of the Light!"
With a look of pure extasy, the young cleric lift her hands to the sky and shouts out her prayer.

[sblock]Casting Elation. 1 Standard Action to cast. Affects all allies in an 80 ft radius spread. All affected allies gain +2 str and +2 dex morale bonus, as well as +5 speed. Last for 6 rounds.[/sblock]

Arvin dashes inside the cave, skirting around the scythe-wielding gnome who has already seen him. A moment later there is the horrible sound of boiling hiss and the acrid smell of bitter acid wafts from the cave. You can hear the voices of the fey inside choking and cursing... and dying.

Breath weapon is DC: 14. Full damage is 27. Half damage is 13.
Redcap R1 misses his save with a 12. He dies.
Redcap R2 misses his save with a 12. He dies.
Redcap R3 makes his save with a 23
Redcap R3 has taken 13 damage. he has 9 hp left.

The other Redcap- the one Arvin ran past and ignored-- dashes in after him, charging with his scythe. Arvin parries with one of his flashing blades. The redcap glares murderously at him.

The redcap is power attacking for 2. He makes a total of 18, which doesn't scratch Arvin's scaly hide.

Init repost:
Arvin +7 : 25
Redcap +5 : 15
Kytheria +2 : 9
Alek +4 : 8
Seeker +0 : 7
Bartlin +3: 6
Yarin +3 : 6
Bahuman +1 : 4

(okay, most everyone has posted actions, but now that the surprise round is over, I need Arvin to state his action to kick off the start of the new round.)

Attachments

• dungeonopening2.gif
    dungeonopening2.gif
    223.8 KB · Views: 63

Tinner

First Post
"You guys better hurry or you'll miss all the fun!" shouts Arvin.
Arvin turns his attention back to the redcap before him and attacks.

OOC: Full Attack R4 (+10/+10 1d6+7/1d6+3)

Krug

Newshound
If Bahuman can make it to I5, he will strike out with his greataxe at the redcap. If that one is dead, he will try to make his way to E9. He shouts to Arvin, "You bring new meaning to the term, bad breath!" Like most of the half-giant's jokes, that falls flat. ;)

Last edited:

Lobo Lurker

First Post
OOC: Are you sticking with our previous actions? Or should we state new ones? Sorry, this wasn't clear to me. :( And seeing as how Seeker can't take his old actions anymore...

Seeks the Darkness, slides down the grade, landing heavily. Spying one of the short Redcaps on the other side of a fire pit, he looses his arrow. "Take that little runt!"

OOC: Move Action: Slide to F13.
Standard Action: Attack R3
Swift Action: Aura (Motivate Care, if this was not activated in the last round)

OOC: I'll be posting the update soon (and this looks to be a short encounter). I was unclear on this, sorry. I kinda intimated that this is a surprise round, but what I meant is that (everyone but Arvin) is so far away that theyll have to move down the ravine for a full move before they can get onto the battlefield. And likewise the three other redcaps will have to spend the full round grabbing their weapons.

In my mind I'm thinking, "this will give Arvin a chance to fight the one guy who spotted him for a round, then the whole party gets down there and the battle ensues on round 2"

Arvin of course decided to hose the three un-prepared Redcaps. Which as it turns out- is the smartest possible thing. However, he isn't going to leave much for you guys to mop up on. :)

So, that was my bad. It requires a full move to get to the map because it is basicly sliding down a dangerous ditch.

Anyhow, because of the confusion, here's what happened:

Kytheria chose not to move down the ditch but instead to cast Elation. Elation is in effect.
However, Kytheria is still pretty much at the top.

Alek chose not to move and instead cast his magic missile spell. He could have hit the one redcap that had come to the edge of the cave, but it dashed back inside early in the round before Alek got to his spell. So he'll still have to move. However, his spell is all set to go.

Seeker readies his bow but there's no target. His aura is in effect (quick action). I'll allow for an ammended action to full move down the ditch.

Bartlin full moves down the ditch as stated.

Yarin draws his dagger and wants to move down far enough to throw his dagger from a distance. But he can't- there's no redcap in sight by the time he gets to act, so I'll just have him move all the way down the ditch.

Bahuman moves all the way down the ditch as stated.

I'll untangle the rest of this battle in my next post (in a couple of hours). Sorry again for the confusion. :)

init repost for reference:
Arvin +7 : 25
Redcap +5 : 15
Kytheria +2 : 9
Alek +4 : 8
Seeker +0 : 7
Bartlin +3: 6
Yarin +3 : 6
Bahuman +1 : 4

By this time Bahumna, Bartlin, and Seeks The Darkness have stumbled, slid, or scrambled down the ditch into the cave opening. They can no see everything going on perfectly.

First, Arvin turns his deadly twin sword assault on the redcap facing him. His first attack cuts the Redcap cleanly with a devastating stroke. His second attack is a straightforward thrust that runs the redcap through. When Arvin retracts his blade, the redcap's lifeless body falls to the floor.

Arvin rolled a critical threat and then confirmed it, doing a total of 18 damage. The Redcap has 4 hp left. Arvin's second attack impales the redcap, doing 6 damage. The redcap dies.

Only the wounded (breathweapon survivor) redcap is alive now. Seeing his brothers die, he becomes enraged and charges directly at Arvin (the others are on the far side of the firepit). Arvin fends him off just as well as he did the other one.

The redcap charges, power attacks for 2 and misses.

Kytheria and Alek delay at the top of the ravine.

Seeks the Darkness, slides down the grade, landing heavily.When he reaches the bottom, he moves forward, training his bow on the last redcap.

"Take that little runt!"

The arrow misses by inches, clattering against the far wall of the cave.

OOC: The redcap ran around the lip of the cave, so I had to move Seeker to F11.

Bartlin ran forward, bringing his lance to bear. The tip pierces the redcap. The redcap howls and curses in Sylvan!

The redcap moved so I had Bartlin move to F8 instead of E10- to keep his reach advantage. He hit, doing 8 damage.

Once again the last monster is left with ONE hit point.

Yarin reaches the bottom of the ditch, sees an opening and takes it- he hurls his dagger. It whizzes past, hitting the far wall.

Yarin misses :(

Finally, Bahuman hits the dirtfloor at the bottom of the ravine and runs inside, bringing his axe to bear. The half-giant hits easily, chopping the last redcap with a frightening overhead hack.

Bahuman does 21 hp damage, laving the last redcap at... -20. I think he's probably dead.

The bloody bodies of the redcaps begin to smolder and deteriorate into wisps of magic. Within seconds, all four have disappeared entirely, leaving behind only a single tooth each. The tooth of the redcap. Arvin and Alek both remember it having some sort of value, but may have to research further what to do with a Redcap tooth.

THE BATTLE IS OVER. THE REDCAPS ARE ALL DEAD. OK.

Kytheria and Alek make their way down into the cave carefully as the dust clears. There is a smallish wooden chest (unlocked- it has a busted rusty padlock on it) in the corner of the cave. It contains 500 gp.

There is a 10' wide passage leading north and going down at a gentle 30 degree angle. It seems to be lit by torches in sconces every 20 feet or so. You haven't entered the passage yet, but you can see it seems to go on about 40' before it splits into a Y intersection to the Northwest and Northeast.

Attachments

• dungeonopening3.gif
    dungeonopening3.gif
    224 KB · Views: 63

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads