D&D Movie/TV Honor Among Thieves Monster Minis Set

WizKids is releasing a boxed set of the iconic D&D monsters which show up in Honor Among Thieves, the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie. The set comes out on March 15th, includes a displacer beast, a gelatinous cube, an intellect devourer, a mimic, and a bear-owl.

WizKids is releasing a boxed set of the iconic D&D monsters which show up in Honor Among Thieves, the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons movie. The set comes out on March 15th, includes a displacer beast, a gelatinous cube, an intellect devourer, a mimic, and a bear-owl.

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 2.34.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 2.34.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 2.35.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 2.35.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 2.36.04 PM.png

Dire Bare

Legend
Yeah I know I'm an old man about mini prices. I got spoiled by the D&D miniatures game back in the day. (But also my collection of prepainted minis is sufficient for me, so that probably plays into things)

And if I were going to call out one it would be the owlbear. Not that its poorly done, but because the pose seems weird to me.
I'm not a fan of the owlbear pose either . . . and we've seen it in a lot of movie tie-in art . . .

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I'm not a fan of the owlbear pose either . . . and we've seen it in a lot of movie tie-in art . . .
I suspect that seeing it in motion in the movie with that as an intermediate step rather than on a freeze frame it'll probably look fine.

But captured right at that moment it looks like it's responding to Captain America yelling "Avengers Assemble!" And not in a Hulk way but more of a Thor way. I kinda prefer my Owlbears to be a bit more lumbering.

Nathaniel Lee

Adventurer
I suggest buying the D&D board games instead. They cost like $50 and have around 30 miniatures in them. Plus you get a board game.
It should be noted that the board games at that price point include unpainted minis made from a different, more "bendy" material using sculpts from the considerably older series produced by Wizards of the Coast before WizKids took over the business. However, you may be able to find the "collector's" versions of the later board games (which did actually use the WizKids sculpts) where they included prepainted minis just like the ones in the booster boxes. I definitely supplemented my collection with the Tomb of Annihilation and Mad Mage games.

Nathaniel Lee

Adventurer
I suspect that seeing it in motion in the movie with that as an intermediate step rather than on a freeze frame it'll probably look fine.

But captured right at that moment it looks like it's responding to Captain America yelling "Avengers Assemble!" And not in a Hulk way but more of a Thor way. I kinda prefer my Owlbears to be a bit more lumbering.
It looks like it's trying to capture that scene in the trailer where she leaps at the mounted enemy. Agree that it's a strange pose to put on a miniature, especially if owlbears in your game don't leap around like Mario stomping a Koopa.

Juomari Veren

Adventurer
For those discussing price, here's a breakdown of what it would cost to get those minis as singles if you didn't want to buy that pack on its release date (using MiniatureMarket for prices, though they admittedly undercut a lot of other online storefronts for prices except eBay):

Owlbear: $8.50 (cheapest) to $10 (most expensive)
Displacer Beast: $8 (cheapest) to $9 (most expensive that isn't out of print)
Gelatinous Cube: $8.99 (unpainted, not that you could really tell) to $12 (painted with custom base for trapping medium-sized creatures)
Mimic: $9 (there are many other mimics available, but there's only one chest-shaped one that's sold individually from WizKids boosters)
Intellect Devourer: $3 (cheapest) to $5 (most expensive)

Now, MiniatureMarket also happens to have this set for sale at slightly less than MSRP ($35.99 vs $40), but even if they didn't it would be more or less as cost-effective to buy the pack over the minis give or take a dollar and/or shipping, at least given what's currently available on the market for officially licensed D&D minis. Obviously that doesn't mean it couldn't be cheaper, and there's always alternatives, but the price is at least what you'd have to pay to get those 5 specific minis individually so I would deem it "fair", at least if you have an adventure in mind that needs those specific minis (I will not judge you if you just want to run the exact plot of the movie at your tabletop, we've all stolen from film and TV before).

It's a shame they went with the Intellect Devourer (I assume it's a secret antagonist of the film), I was really hoping they'd give us one of the dragons that shows up in the movie (except Themberchaud because he'd obviously be too big to depict as anything other than gargantuan with a ridiculous sculpt and oversized base). The black dragon looks kinda small so it could've been large-sized, and there's also a dragon statue that comes to life that would've made a cool mini too that's at about the same scale. C'est la vie though. They clearly wanted to sell monsters that are distinct to the brand, and it's a decent menagerie even if you'd have to struggle to use all of them even over the course of a single campaign.

Remove ads

Remove ads