• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Houserule: can no-armour provide a bonus?

sunrisekid

Explorer
As a houserule, I would like to provide a small advantage for characters that don’t wear armour, looking for feedback.

I was thinking of a flat +1 or +2 to certain skill checks (Stealth, Acrobatics, Athletics). Nothing major, as the armour limitation on other classes is intended as a balance issue.

I.e., granting "advantage" would be too good, and this already happens under other non-rare conditions.

But for those thief-acrobats, or barbarians who go Conan-style, I would like to provide a playable alternative to leather armour. A small sacrifice of defence in favour of better skill use. Wizards and such would incidentally benefit, but given they don't traditionally rely on those skills then I don't think it unbalance anything.

Any thoughts on this?

Paraxis

Explorer
I wouldn't do it that way. Make a new subclass for acrobat thief and give them a defense bonus as long as they don't wear armor as a level 3 ability.

The trade off is never going to be as good as a bonus to AC if it is just a bonus to a few skills.

You could give me advantage and a +6 to my skill checks for not wearing armor and all it would do is sometimes if absolutely needed I would remove my studded leather armor for a couple minutes while I made the check.

But if this is the route you go, I would suggest you do something for leather armor as well since at the moment there isn't a reason to ever use it. So maybe a +1 to those skills in leather, and +2 while not wearing armor.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
First off, I don't think it'll break anything, so if it seems worthwhile, go ahead.

Personally though, I think the classes that are supposed to be extra-effective unarmored (barbarian and monk) already are, so I wouldn't start adding in extra nickel and dime bonuses.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Barbarians and monks have an ability that helps them "cover" not wearing armour already, and there is a comparable ability for Sorcerers, Wizards, and Warlocks with Mage Armor and draconic resilience.

Quartz

Hero
As a houserule, I would like to provide a small advantage for characters that don’t wear armour, looking for feedback.

I was thinking of a flat +1 or +2 to certain skill checks (Stealth, Acrobatics, Athletics). Nothing major, as the armour limitation on other classes is intended as a balance issue.

But is not granting a bonus for not wearing armour diminishing the ability to wear armour in the first place? I would suggest bonuses for not wearing armour be situational rather than general. E.g. if you're trying to squeeze through a tight crack, removing your armour might get you +1 while stripping down to your loincloth and oiling yourself up might grant +2.

Quartz

Hero
But if this is the route you go, I would suggest you do something for leather armor as well since at the moment there isn't a reason to ever use it. So maybe a +1 to those skills in leather, and +2 while not wearing armor.

Unlike armours which grant a better base AC, leather & studded leather have no maximum Dex bonus.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads