D&D 5E Houserules balance check: all fighters get BM's maneuvers.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Now I'm wondering about the viability of certain classes taking two subclasses (by DM's discretion) instead, with the the assumption that one subclass-- in this case, the Battlemaster-- is standard. I don't really follow the 5e meta enough to know which classes would need this and which wouldn't... I'm assuming the Ranger is still the bottom of the heap: would being able to take two subclasses fix it?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
There's
Now I'm wondering about the viability of certain classes taking two subclasses (by DM's discretion) instead, with the the assumption that one subclass-- in this case, the Battlemaster-- is standard. I don't really follow the 5e meta enough to know which classes would need this and which wouldn't... I'm assuming the Ranger is still the bottom of the heap: would being able to take two subclasses fix it?
There's a few I wouldn't do it for because their subclasses are top-heavy (Cleric, Paladin) or the generalist subclasses are too strong to layer on to other classes (Bard comes to mind).

Classes you could do it for:

Ranger (Beast Master)
Barbarian (Berzerker)
Druid (Land)
Fighter (Champion or Battle Master)
Sorcerer (Divine Soul)
Wizard (Probably doesn't need it, But War Mage is nice and generic)

Weiley31

Legend
Instead I think they should all just get a small amount of this stuff and the Battlemaster should specialize in this aspect of the class's mechanics and get more. I would also probably restrict the other Fighters to d6s.
That's pretty much how the UA Subclasses, like the Spellless Ranger, Cavalier, Scout, Knight, and Monster Hunter do it.

Ranger is quite strong over the first six levels

Its just the mid and later levels suck.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
There's a few I wouldn't do it for because their subclasses are top-heavy (Cleric, Paladin) or the generalist subclasses are too strong to layer on to other classes (Bard comes to mind).

Frankly, I don't think any Charisma Mafia class needs the help... and yeah, Warlock and Paladin subclasses are both too powerful and largely incompatible. I'd like to bring back two Domains for Cleric... but we'd need more Domains for that to work, and all of the Domains would need to be toned down.

I'm largely thinking... Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Barbarian, maybe Monk... if Monk even has enough thematically compatible options.

jgsugden

Legend
I'd allow a player to give up Action Surge to gain three maneuvers and four d8 superiority dice. Then they could give up Indomitable at 9 to increase the dice to d10s, gain 2 more superiority dice and gain 2 additional maneuvers. You'd still gain uses of indomitable and action surge at 13h (one indomitable) and 17th levels (a second indomitable and a first action surge).

Some quick examples:
Blind - target has blinded condition until start of your next turn
Cripple - decreases target's movement until end of their next turn
Shove - target is knocked back 5 feet, 10 feet at level 5, 15 feet at level 11, etc.
Stun - target has stunned condition until start of your next turn.
Sweep - target is prone and has speed reduced to 0 until end of its next turn.
Tackle - target is grappled (or something??)

I like it, but not this.

Round 1
Fighter pulverizes the troll's leg, crippling the beast.
Troll reaches for a wheel chair and sits down.

Round 2
Fighter smashes his axe into the crippled troll's chest.
The troll's disability ends. The troll stands up. It's a MIRACLE!!!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases