Houserules

Sorry, but at some time we all have to, at least unconsiously, admit to ourselves that some of D&D rules suck. I'm sorry to all those of you out there who are the hardcore gamers screaming "No! The rules are perfect!", but there really is no nicer way of saying it. Whatever the rule, from flat DCs to experience charts, there will always be something about the game that you do not like.

Now then, this is out to those of you who decided not to cry about it, but to do something. What rules do you think are BS? Which ones just need a little tweaking, and which do you think are completely broken? Gather round, post your problems, solutions, and general fixery of the precious game.

Mr_GrinReaper

First Post
O-O A house rules thread :D

hmmmm... too tired to thing, and besides im getting kicked off the comp, have something, maybe tomorrow, if i decide i don't like a rule

DarrenGMiller

First Post
I have often house-ruled stuff. Through that, I have learned much about game balance and the effects of various rules on such.

Most recently, I have changed the favored class rule to reflect that a PC's first chosen class IS that PC's favored class. I know why the rule exists (or think I do), but think that the 20% XP penalty is not really a balancing factor here.

Among other house-rules I have used in the past:
*limiting arcane casters to sorcerers in a homebrew world with no written learning
*Ken Hood's Grim & Gritty v2.6
*Spell Point/Manna Point system
*No militant Clerics, just Druids and Adepts (fit campaign world above)

I am currently running with the RAW, with the one exception I just made last week (favored classes).

DM

Nightcloak

First Post
Well this is ironic, house rules is Chapter 8 in my notebook thread, should be done for Fri Night. :D

I'm always tinkering with rules, I like the idea of a thread to compare and discuss HRs.

Two house rules I implemented was:

The dodge feat's +1 bonus is a continuous bonus unless you lose your dex bonus (as normal). No more remember it ir lose it problems from, well, everyone at the table including me :lol: Not to mention I thought it was pretty week as written. No issues with the improved version so far, and other friends have started useing it as well.

Weapon sizing is reverted to the 3.0 weapon rules. I just didn't care for the 3.5 version.

I have more in my folder I need to dig out later...

XCorvis

First Post
I use the fractional BAB/Save system for multiclass characters. It actually doesn't come up to much, but it always bugged me. It's in Unearthed Arcana, but I don't remember what it's called.

The Smite Alignment ability only works on magic items, spells, outsiders and divine spellcasters, ie supernatural sources of the alignment in question.

I also allow the character a single re-write in order to qualify for a prestige class. They can re-tool their feats and skills (with DM approval, of course) so they can just squeek by. Some prestige classes are just too hard to get into if you're not prepping 5 levels beforehand.

Catavarie

First Post
I allow Paladins to Multi-class as fighters or clerics without Penalty, meaning that the can train further levels into Paladin even though they decided to concetrate more on either their Physical Prowess or their Spirituality.

ChaosEvoker

First Post
Initiative seems too random sometimes, a house rule our group has is to use d10 for init. Also we've thought about a spell point system does anyone have a good working one, because it seems sorcerors woudl work on a spell point system rather than a spell/day system. Makes more sence to me that way.

ChaosEvoker said:
Initiative seems too random sometimes, a house rule our group has is to use d10 for init. Also we've thought about a spell point system does anyone have a good working one, because it seems sorcerors woudl work on a spell point system rather than a spell/day system. Makes more sence to me that way.
Do you have Unearthed Arcana? If you don't, then you should get a copy. It has a spell-point system in it. Some of the variants are crap, but others make more sense than the standard rules.

DarrenGMiller

First Post
ChaosEvoker said:
Initiative seems too random sometimes, a house rule our group has is to use d10 for init. Also we've thought about a spell point system does anyone have a good working one, because it seems sorcerors woudl work on a spell point system rather than a spell/day system. Makes more sense to me that way.

Back in my 1E days I used a segment system for initiative, but have not figured out how to do it in 3E yet. I have also been searching for a workable spell point system. I will have to check UA.

DM

ChaosEvoker

First Post
I've also thought about a cast by creativity system. Where you have a certain power level you can channel and you can add or change things basically creating any spell you want.

For Example, to cast fireball:
Factors:
Fire Damage
Area of Effect
Standard Action casting

These things could add to its Power Rating which, if it exceeds your abilities (the PC shoudl have a power rating limit or something) than you cannot cast it. This woudl be a difficult system but one that woudl allow for much broader creativity and power in spellcasting. Combine that with a spell point system to limit the number of spells/day and you have a perfect (IMHO) spellcasting system for sorcerors

Remove ads