D&D 5E how 5E could work for players of all editions

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
The Next Iteration, the Quisatz Haderach of D&D, should be a new D&D, but a simpler game at its core. The kernel of action resolution, character building, and challenge creation should be mathematically balanced, but thematically diverse. The spartan core will seem like basic D&D, but should also have elements of the Advanced editions, i.e. specialty priests for 2e, assassin gets both 4e and 1e.

The optional rules modules should add customization for players and DMs, while not adding power. Take skills for example. The core mechanic will be an ability check relevant to the action. A skill rank option would replace the ability score with a skill rank to roll. You might be able to beat an ability check at a specific task, but not by much and only in specific circumstances. Or the default wizard might be Vancian caster but there might be feat options to introduce some at-will and encounter powers in place of some spellslots or research capability. At the table, they play similarly, but the player has some differentiation and ownership, plus less prep. The options truly provide options and complexity, not altering the core game. This is how a 4e player can sit at a table with a BECMI player under a 2E DM.

There are some rules modules that will change gameplay. The tactical combat package using minis, squares, specific push pull mechanics will become by its nature different experience at the table. The action resolution is the same, but there is another layer. A core only player will be disadvantaged in comparison to TCP Option players. Another module that will change gameplay is a high level campaign kingdom and guild management mod. It will change the game from micro, my PC, to macro, my criminal syndicate. A core only player is going to feel diminished.

The core game should be released as one book or box, divided into player, dmg, monster manual, and common options. Common options, an appendix in a single HC or additional splat in a box set, would include skill ranks, NWP, feats, NPCs built same as PC, AEDU system. New rules splats could released around themes, New Magic systems, spells and magic item creation rules could be 5E Unearthed Arcana, The Tactical Combat Package could be a Tome of Battle, they should be differentiated between 'inclusive' of core play or 'game changer' options.

Remove ads