5E How Big Do You Like To Party?

How many members are in your typical party? (3 votes allowed)

• Total voters

dnd4vr

Tactical Studies Rules - The Original Game Wizards
Well, ok that isn't quite right... :)

5E was designed around a 4-member party as I understand it, but IME parties tend to be 5-6 members, not even including NPC-types like henchmen or hirelings, or PC-linked-types such as steeds, animal companions, familiars, etc.

EDIT: In case there is any confusion: I am NOT talking about the number of players, I am talking about the number of PLAYER CHARACTERS! Some of the responses seem to be more addressing players present, not characters.

So, how big is your "typical" party-size at your table? (You can vote 3 times.)

PLEASE NOTE: if your group typical has some support, add +1. If most (at least half) of the PCs each have support-types, add +2 to your party size. Ex. Ours is usual 4-6 PCs and +1 for familiars, henchmen, etc. So, I voted 5-7 total.

Thanks for contributing!

Last edited:

Bacon Bits

Adventurer
As a DM I get frustrated with 6. Long sessions with 5 are not fun. I prefer 3-4, but will run 2-5.

As a player, I get frustrated with 7 or more. Invariably the game will feel like two parties adventuring together.

Edit: I don't care either way about NPC companions. The only thing that stresses the game, IMX, are more players. Though a summoning spellcaster who is summoning lots of things or things that they don't understand easily counts as two players as far as frustration levels.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
As a DM I get frustrated with 6. Long sessions with 5 are not fun. I prefer 3-4, but will run 2-5.
6 is a crowd for sure, but very manageable, especially if 1-2 of those players are quiet types.

7 is simply too many -- I won't DM for a group of that size.

Ogre Mage

Adventurer
I find that 5 players are best. Due to busy schedules we are often down one and having 4 players present does not make us feel kneecapped. We can also run fine with the full 5. 6 is doable but begins to get problematic. Anything more than that is not fun.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
In my few 5e games, parties have been 3 or 4 PCs, with a limited support crew among them, mainly familiars.
So I put "4,5,6".

practicalm

Explorer
I regularly have large groups because people at work are interested in playing so we have people pop in and out. It's lots of fun when everyone can make the session.

I like large groups and I build my encounters to reflect how the large group impacts play.

Ensuring that everyone gets screen time is key so ensuring that no one is overlapping roles is important.
I had one player in my church group that kept trying to overshadow other players but we had a nice talk about what the issues were and it was resolved peacefully.

Tallifer

Adventurer
My location and time zone mean usually three or four players, but I added 6 to my vote, because these days I have been playing a lot of 4E with the discord Guild on roll20, and they always run groups of 6.

I did run 9 players in a 5E Google Hangouts game once. The biggest party I played in in Korea was also 9 in a Flailsnails OSR game.

Oofta

Title? I don't need no stinkin' title.
My preference is 4 but the maximum I allow up to 6 so that's what I usually end up with. I like smaller groups, I feel like it's easier to share the spotlight and combats go more quickly. But whenever I try to do that someone always has a buddy or a sibling, someone else really wants to play.

TwoSix

The hero you deserve
Supporter
My current groups are 7 players, 7 players, and 5 players; one of the 7 player groups has 2 BM rangers so there are 9 total "characters" on the board. With that number of players, I try to make sure there aren't any NPCs gumming up the party.

aco175

Hero
I went with 4 since there is usually my father with one PC, my brother with 1-2, and I tend to throw in a NPC to round them out a bit. A 5th when my son is on school break or Corona break.

My normal group is 6 players, but usually at least 1 person can't make it. I don't generally like to run with less than 4 PCs, mostly due to combat difficulty (when I design, I design for 5).

My preference varies based on the type of game I want to run. Fewer players allows for a more intimate campaign, where each character gets focus in the story. A larger party allows for some epic battle and survivable splitting of the party.

dnd4vr

Tactical Studies Rules - The Original Game Wizards
My normal group is 6 players, but usually at least 1 person can't make it. I don't generally like to run with less than 4 PCs, mostly due to combat difficulty (when I design, I design for 5).

My preference varies based on the type of game I want to run. Fewer players allows for a more intimate campaign, where each character gets focus in the story. A larger party allows for some epic battle and survivable splitting of the party.
So did you vote based on the 6 players (typically 5) or for the minimum 4 PCs? Hopefully your vote was based on the number of PCs. :)

Ezequielramone

Explorer
3-4-5 for me. I have been DMing for like 8-9 years. It could be much for new people on the hobbie and not too much for people who are in the hobbie since the beggining but in that time I found that I feel comfortable with 4 players. I had DM for 6 players and it's just too much for me. I don't like that, for balance reasons also the same combat would be longer, so less different combats in a session. IRL sometimes people can't make it to the session so 4 means that sometimes you have to play with 3 players. I found that's ok, could be a little more challenging, but ok. I'm DMing a group and one of the players moved outside the city, for personal reasons was the best and we are all happy for him but can't make it anymore. 3 left players are awesome and can handle a party of 3. I run for 3 because I know the players, they really get into characters and know how to make and interesting character that can fight and do different things. Sometimes with groups of 4 I have allowed a 5th player because is friend of someone. That new playes makes the group more stable since 2 players can miss the game and still the group meets and play.

atanakar

Hero
I'm confortable with 4 or 5. I voted both. In non-D&D games I quite enjoy having only 3 very dedicated players plus me as GM. One person per side of the table (no I don't have a round or oval table funny guy). The flow of information is pleasant.

Communication theory says that when two people are talking there are actually 4 people talking. What you say. What the other says. What you think the other said and what the other thinks you said. It adds up fast.

Past 5 players there is just too much stuff going on for my brain process correctly. I miss important non-verbal cues or sentences. Also, players find it takes too much time before it is their turn to act or be in the spotlight.

Last edited:

Most Liked Threads

Advertisement2

Advertisement4