D&D 5E How Big Do You Like To Party?

How many members are in your typical party? (3 votes allowed)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Well, ok that isn't quite right... :)

5E was designed around a 4-member party as I understand it, but IME parties tend to be 5-6 members, not even including NPC-types like henchmen or hirelings, or PC-linked-types such as steeds, animal companions, familiars, etc.

EDIT: In case there is any confusion: I am NOT talking about the number of players, I am talking about the number of PLAYER CHARACTERS! Some of the responses seem to be more addressing players present, not characters.

So, how big is your "typical" party-size at your table? (You can vote 3 times.)

PLEASE NOTE: if your group typical has some support, add +1. If most (at least half) of the PCs each have support-types, add +2 to your party size. Ex. Ours is usual 4-6 PCs and +1 for familiars, henchmen, etc. So, I voted 5-7 total.

Thanks for contributing!

Last edited:

As a DM I get frustrated with 6. Long sessions with 5 are not fun. I prefer 3-4, but will run 2-5.

As a player, I get frustrated with 7 or more. Invariably the game will feel like two parties adventuring together.

Edit: I don't care either way about NPC companions. The only thing that stresses the game, IMX, are more players. Though a summoning spellcaster who is summoning lots of things or things that they don't understand easily counts as two players as far as frustration levels.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
As a DM I get frustrated with 6. Long sessions with 5 are not fun. I prefer 3-4, but will run 2-5.
6 is a crowd for sure, but very manageable, especially if 1-2 of those players are quiet types.

7 is simply too many -- I won't DM for a group of that size.

I find that 5 players are best. Due to busy schedules we are often down one and having 4 players present does not make us feel kneecapped. We can also run fine with the full 5. 6 is doable but begins to get problematic. Anything more than that is not fun.

practicalm

Explorer
I regularly have large groups because people at work are interested in playing so we have people pop in and out. It's lots of fun when everyone can make the session.

I like large groups and I build my encounters to reflect how the large group impacts play.

Ensuring that everyone gets screen time is key so ensuring that no one is overlapping roles is important.
I had one player in my church group that kept trying to overshadow other players but we had a nice talk about what the issues were and it was resolved peacefully.

Remove ads