D&D 5E How Can D&D Next Win You Over?

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
I believe the 4E community is large enough that 5E can't succeed without it, and it doesn't need to be a majority for that to be true. A 4E rejection would compound 5E not being adopted by others, as I don't expect much of the OSR to adopt 5E and due to the fervor of a lot of Pathfinder fans there are going to be significant holdouts there.

If Wizards wanted the 4th edition crowd then they wouldn't even have created Next.

I think you are giving the 4th edition crowd a little too much credit.

If Wizards wanted the 4th edition crowd then they wouldn't even have created Next.

I think you are giving the 4th edition crowd a little too much credit.

WotC wants both, not either/or. 4E wasnt delivering the numbers WotC wanted, but at the same time they arent going to get the numbers they want without the 4E community. They need to get everybody, not just one camp or they other. Like it or not, 4E is a significant part of what D&D is right now.

Last edited:

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
WotC wants both, not either/or. 4E wasnt delivering the numbers WotC wanted, but at the same time they arent going to get the numbers they want without the 4E community. They need to get everybody, not just one camp or they other. Like it or not, 4E is a significant part of what D&D is right now.

Where is your proof that says 4th edition is a significant part of D&D right now?

You have absolutely no idea how many play people 4th edition and how many play 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. You are mistaking hope and personal opinion for fact.

From what we can tell, 4th edition didn't have enough support to keep it going so if we are going to guess on what we can see then I would say the 4th crowd isn't going to bring in the numbers like you hope.

All you want is to be able to say that the 4th edition was the ones who got Next going and kept them going. 4th edition was not the "god" of all editions of D&D so I don't know why you assume it's followers would be the same.

The failure or Success of D&D Next will rest on the shoulders of everyone, not the 4th edition crowd, not the 1st, 2nd or even 3rd.

GodDelusion

First Post
After considerable deliberation, our group has decided to simply ignore D&D.NEXT and continue our support of Paizo and Pathfinder until such time that we stop gaming or Paizo retires the game.

Where is your proof that says 4th edition is a significant part of D&D right now?

You have absolutely no idea how many play people 4th edition and how many play 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. You are mistaking hope and personal opinion for fact.

From what we can tell, 4th edition didn't have enough support to keep it going so if we are going to guess on what we can see then I would say the 4th crowd isn't going to bring in the numbers like you hope.

All you want is to be able to say that the 4th edition was the ones who got Next going and kept them going. 4th edition was not the "god" of all editions of D&D so I don't know why you assume it's followers would be the same.

The failure or Success of D&D Next will rest on the shoulders of everyone, not the 4th edition crowd, not the 1st, 2nd or even 3rd.

5E needs everybody. Everybody includes 4E. If 5E fails 4E, it fails at getting everybody and fails overall.

Don't get me wrong, getting 4E fans at the expense of everyone else is a recipe for failure. I'm just saying that getting everyone else at the expense of 4E fans is ALSO a recipe for failure.

Bluenose

Adventurer

70,000+ DDI subscribers, based on the numbers enrolled in that Group on the WotC forums. What that turns into in number of players is hard to say, but it's certainly more than enough people buying a product to get onto the ICV2 list. Dresden Files did, with a maximum of 10,000 items sold.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
70,000+ DDI subscribers, based on the numbers enrolled in that Group on the WotC forums. What that turns into in number of players is hard to say, but it's certainly more than enough people buying a product to get onto the ICV2 list. Dresden Files did, with a maximum of 10,000 items sold.

There was already a thread about DDI numbers on the Wizards thread and it was shown that those numbers lead you to essentially nothing because there were a lot of people who cancelled their subs and they still show up and other people were locked in to a yearly sub who were just going to finish it out and not renew.

I asked for proof, not speculation.

I'm sorry but I don't think the 4th edition crowd was "that" large.

The success of Next will be down to "everyone", not the 4th edition crowd.
The 4E crowd powered 4E for 4 years. The 3.0 crowd powered 3.0 for 4 years. The 3.5 crowd powered 3.5 for 4 years...

Every edition of D&D is a failure in the sense that it didn't last forever, but a success in that it lead to a new edition rather than no game and no game company at all anymore...

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
The 4E crowd powered 4E for 4 years. The 3.0 crowd powered 3.0 for 4 years. The 3.5 crowd powered 3.5 for 4 years...

Every edition of D&D is a failure in the sense that it didn't last forever, but a success in that it lead to a new edition rather than no game and no game company at all anymore...

3.0 and 3.5 are the same edition so I don't know why you split them up, even after you have already been given proof.

Your second paragraph is pure speculation. There was a lot more that 4th edition could have done but if you don't have enough people buying it then you move on to the next edition.

3.0 and 3.5 are the same edition so I don't know why you split them up, even after you have already been given proof.

Your second paragraph is pure speculation. There was a lot more that 4th edition could have done but if you don't have enough people buying it then you move on to the next edition.

4E's relative success or failure has nothing to do with it being a significant part of the D&D community, too significant for 5E to ignore.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases